Novice monk gives all his earnings to his blind mum - "I'd like things other kids have, but better to help her", he says

webfact

8 hours ago, BobBKK said:

hey, monks don't get earnings!  right...?  anyway, good boy

Not correct. Any event celebrated at a temple costs money. Funerals, blessings, blessing your house, car whatever will have a bill attached to it.

How do you think wats pay their electricity, water, gas for cooking etc?

If you have a relative who dies and wants to be cremated at a wat, a family member goes along and asks for X amount of monks to chant for X number of days there will be a cost depending on what you want. The cremation is extra. If the family want to do their own cooking for guests, they can rent the kitchen. The cost varies with which wat you use, rural wats are cheaper than city wats and it varies from perhaps 20,000 baht to millions of baht for VIPs.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Not correct. Any event celebrated at a temple costs money. Funerals, blessings, blessing your house, car whatever will have a bill attached to it.

How do you think wats pay their electricity, water, gas for cooking etc?

If you have a relative who dies and wants to be cremated at a wat, a family member goes along and asks for X amount of monks to chant for X number of days there will be a cost depending on what you want. The cremation is extra. If the family want to do their own cooking for guests, they can rent the kitchen. The cost varies with which wat you use, rural wats are cheaper than city wats and it varies from perhaps 20,000 baht to millions of baht for VIPs.

Edited by stouricks

30 minutes ago, stouricks said:

What great information for a bank scammer, name, account number and which bank, thanks.

Mostly the donations come from the people attending, in cash inside envelopes with the donors name on the outside and no amount indicated. Sometimes the village pu yai ban gives 20,000 baht or more (insurance payout).

Every family/person in our village group pays 250 baht when somebody dies (including me as I am also covered) so we pay 750 baht and when I, my wife or my son dies the family gets cash payout, usually the next day.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, billd766 said:

Mostly the donations come from the people attending, in cash inside envelopes with the donors name on the outside and no amount indicated. Sometimes the village pu yai ban gives 20,000 baht or more (insurance payout).

Every family/person in our village group pays 250 baht when somebody dies (including me as I am also covered) so we pay 750 baht and when I, my wife or my son dies the family gets cash payout, usually the next day.

I know that, and is exactly the same in my village. But what's that got to do with the fact that the woman's name, and full bank details were published for all to see. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, webfact said:

An account has been set up for the mother and son in the name of Bunthen Bunsawat at the Government Savings Bank # 0201 209 35729

In this day & age you'd think this information would be kept out of the press !

16 hours ago, Bender Rodriguez said:

did the blind woman have the child while being blind ?

and where is the boy's father ? nowhere to be SEEN ?

What a stupid question, how would this effect you if she had a child when blind or not? Discrimination on your part in your thinking and what has the boy's father got to do with this and how does this effect you?

Also it is stated clearly that the mother was working 10 years ago

" She said that ten years ago she was a dishwasher in a restaurant when there was a gunfight between some young patrons. She was hit by a ricochet and left blind in one eye. She recovered but later developed a problem in the other eye and was left helpless" The boy is 10 years old, do the maths.

Do not detract from a positive article about a sons love for his mother and wanting the best for her.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, stouricks said:

I know that, and is exactly the same in my village. But what's that got to do with the fact that the woman's name, and full bank details were published for all to see. 

No idea but if you are troubled by it go to the Nation media and complain to them. They wrote the article, not me.

As a novice monk, all he will be allowed to do is to run errands. maybe set up chairs, tables, candles and such and probably run and fetch drinks. So maybe he gets tips from the monks who get the cash.