London's statues from 'bygone' imperial past to be reviewed, mayor says

snoop1130

2 minutes ago, Airbagwill said:

It's not "historic cleansing" its learning from history.... and there are several on this thread who clearly don't know even the basics ...

Those who do not know history's mistakes are doomed to repeat them.

Bristol has for centuries tried to remove that statue.

By whom...?

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Airbagwill said:

The fact you consider this to beavalid argument just shows how ill informed people can be and how bad they are at critical thinking.

I suppose your ancestors knew nothing about, were not involved, and protested about slavery at the time.....????

• Confused 2

1 minute ago, JonnyF said:

It doesn't glorify slavery. It simply acknowledges a man who built large parts of the city. The statue doesn't claim he was perfect or that his dealing in the slave trade was correct. Maybe we should knock down the docks where the slave boats landed, and all of the historic buildings that he paid to be built. Then we can burn all the books written or portraits painted of historic figures that weren't 100% virtuous (that's going to be a long list that our friends from the religion of peace might want to check).

Yeah, that'll solve it. 

What a silly answer.....look at what finally triggered it and learn your history....he was by many glorified as a philanthropist but even in his day he was criticised.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

39 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

I believe the London Mayoral election has been delayed due to Covid, but there will be a chance to topple him when it happens.  I very much doubt Londoners will vote in a Tory though, and Rory the independent has pulled out.  Londoners seem to quite like their Mayor, but then again they used to like Boris ????

Could you please define a typical "Londoner" now...don't think there are many cockle sellers anymore

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, TopDeadSenter said:

They already started renaming streets.

"Cochrane Street – named after Andrew Cochrane, an 18th-century tobacco lord – has been retitled Sheku Bayoh Street."

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/jun/06/glasgow-slaver-streets-renamed-by-anti-racist-campaigners

At least Diane Abbott street is pronounceable.

Silly me! There I was thinking this street was named after the ever-popular Cochran(e) Boiler, produced by a Scottish company.