London's statues from 'bygone' imperial past to be reviewed, mayor says

snoop1130

3 minutes ago, transam said:

Proud, no, it was a practice from a long time ago that many countries practiced and was part of their history.

In the UK we used to hang people at cross roads and let the birds finish them off, you will probably see the tackle in historic museums, our history. Oh, you want all that stuff scrapped too....????

Plus, steal a loaf of bread, hung or off to Australia for you my lad.....Our history...

So why do you want to keep a statue that glorifies someone who made huge profits from slavery?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Rookiescot said:

The fact he made huge amounts of money from slavery is not disputed by anyone. Why do you want to keep a statue which glorifies someone like that?

Oh well, obviously you have again missed my answer....Never mind....???? 

1 minute ago, transam said:

Oh well, obviously you have again missed my answer....Never mind....???? 

OK so you are saying it should stay simply because it was already there?

What about the statues of Saddam Hussain? Hitler? Stalin? Do they need put back up to preserve the town or cities history where they were?

1 minute ago, baansgr said:

I'm pleased you posted that. All of the reported cases in the UK were foreigners living in the UK with foreign slaves....Don't think you will find a case of ole whitey in Hertfordshire having a little black slave working for him.

Good grief no. He wouldn't want a black person in the house.

He would want a white slave.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

Says somebody who thinks Q Victoria had responsiblity for slavery so her statues should be taken down, ignorance personified

We'll, you might call yourself arrogant if not able to admit reality? 

7 minutes ago, sawadee1947 said:

.....a result of your twisted understanding of history. It's miles away from reality. It's not possible to have a clean-up in your heads but even for your young ones you try to hold the praising time of a great empire. That ends up with a Brexit. You old ones are not able to reflect your own history and will not give a chance for change for the young ones. ????

May I ask the level of your education regarding economic history, I researched the subject and came to a rational conclusion that in some instances the long term benefits outweighed the short term losses.

I do not excuse the numerous wrongs but we live in a world shaped by events that happened centuries ago, some require change , others should be regarded as lessons.

3 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

Good grief no. He wouldn't want a black person in the house.

He would want a white slave.

Deflective post again ...the point is....it's not ole whitey practicing slavery, it's other ethenticities..time "these people" start looking a bit closer to home

• Confused 1

23 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

OK so you are saying it should stay simply because it was already there?

What about the statues of Saddam Hussain? Hitler? Stalin? Do they need put back up to preserve the town or cities history where they were?

Up to them...Not GB...

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, PJPom said:

May I ask the level of your education regarding economic history, I researched the subject and came to a rational conclusion that in some instances the long term benefits outweighed the short term losses.

I do not excuse the numerous wrongs but we live in a world shaped by events that happened centuries ago, some require change , others should be regarded as lessons.

I'm with you in an extent to learn from the past and avoid mistakes. 

There is no time again for hate or racism. And no time to glorify history 

• Like 1

I think our country sinks beneath the yoke.

It weeps, it bleeds, and each new day a gash

Is added to her wound.

Keep your grubby hands off our heritage, Khan.

Edited by Krataiboy
  • Haha 1

Here's a bit more history...however guess it's just pearl before swine in some cases..... it seems facts are of no interest to the racist far right...

https://theconversation.com/edward-colston-statue-toppled-how-bristol-came-to-see-the-slave-trader-as-a-hero-and-philanthropist-140271?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=bylinefacebookbutton&fbclid=IwAR1Jqp1SwXb59J2eMuJo2BcldndY_QwAYGQfi-nE-duB8ZeRX8_juoK32Cc

PS have you noticed how racists are always arguing that something isn't racist??

• Like 1