London's statues from 'bygone' imperial past to be reviewed, mayor says

snoop1130

3 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

OK so you are saying it should stay simply because it was already there?

What about the statues of Saddam Hussain? Hitler? Stalin? Do they need put back up to preserve the town or cities history where they were?

Last time I looked no statue of any of them in UK ... What other people do in there countries are up to them ... Or do you want to be 'world police' ?

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, rvaviator said:

Keeping a statue is not glorification - Glorification would be if every year on his birthday people would come from near and far. Lay down flowers and give praise to what he did.

For me .. keeping the statue is a reminder of what happened in the past ... and should serve as a reminder to do better in the future ...

But that is just how I see it ...

It's a poor argument, just take them down and replace them with plaques. The plaques can detail what the person did, good and bad, no need for the statues to be there any longer it's the 21st century.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

I get what you are saying, and yes he did what you are saying, but he took ex soldiers and ex prisoners and sent them to Ireland where the burned men, women, and children out of their homes, that was the Black and Tans, look at the genocide he was responsible for in India and other countries under the British Empire.

Why do you think he lost the first general election after the war?

He lost the general election (actually before the war ended) because the British people believed that Clem Attlee was more likely to give them a better society after the harsh war years.They were right to do so.It had nothing to do with the Black and Tans or the Bengal Famine.Churchill also fought a complacent and flawed campaign suggesting that Labour's plans had elements of the Gestapo.Churchill was a great war leader but not a great peace PM.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jayboy said:

He lost the general election (actually before the war ended) because the British people believed that Clem Attlee was more likely to give them a better society after the harsh war years.They were right to do so.It had nothing to do with the Black and Tans or the Bengal Famine.Churchill also fought a complacent and flawed campaign suggesting that Labour's plans had elements of the Gestapo.Churchill was a great war leader but not a great peace PM.

You may be right, I wasn't born then, but he was responsible for a lot of genocide, that is the point I am making.

Off topic deflection posts, more bickering posts and the replies have been removed. 

Edit:  Some more off topic posts and replies have been removed.  This topic is related to the following from the OP:

As many as 17 million African men, women and children were torn from their homes and shackled into one of the world’s most brutal globalized trades between the 15th and 19th centuries. Many died in merciless conditions.

Those who survived endured a life of subjugation on sugar, tobacco and cotton plantations. Britain abolished the trans-Atlantic slave trade in 1807 although the full abolition of slavery did not follow for another generation.

Edited by metisdead

Myself, having walking around docklands , the area where many of the statues are .

I did find them to be quite imposing and authoritarian with no real significance .

The area was all docklands and warehouses , these days its all housing and condos .

Time for those statues to go , the UK needs to move on 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, rvaviator said:

Keeping a statue is not glorification - Glorification would be if every year on his birthday people would come from near and far. Lay down flowers and give praise to what he did.

For me .. keeping the statue is a reminder of what happened in the past ... and should serve as a reminder to do better in the future ...

But that is just how I see it ...

Does the plinth make reference to his involvement with slavery or only talks to his civic contributions?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, vogie said:

Better not get rid of Robert the Bruce though, the Nationalists will have no-where to burn the Union flag.????????????

You will of course present evidence of independence supporters burning flags?

No?

OK.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/10/2020 at 2:07 PM, thaiflyer1 said:

Absolutely................lived in Rhodesia and Zambia for 5 years.....Rhodesia in 73 right when Ian Smith was being removed, look whats happened to the place now

South African white farmers being murdered everyday............the world doesnt give a flying <deleted>

Only counts to them when it's black people. They are hypocrites.

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, CorpusChristie said:

Myself, having walking around docklands , the area where many of the statues are .

I did find them to be quite imposing and authoritarian with no real significance .

The area was all docklands and warehouses , these days its all housing and condos .

Time for those statues to go , the UK needs to move on 

Move on to what, exactly? A brave new world of newspeak, perhaps.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/06/11/black-lives-matter-protest-edward-colston-statue-retrieved-bristol/

Black Lives Matter protest: Statue of Scouts founder Lord Baden-Powell removed by Lib Dem council

Statue of Scouts founder Lord Baden-Powell removed by Lib Dem council

5 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Only counts to them when it's black people. They are hypocrites.

They,'re not even bothered about them over ,a million Hutu and Tutsi died in the Rwanda genocide,yet they still harp on about the sharpville " massacre" nearly 60 years ago,at least the colonialists stopped them massaging each other,but think a lot of the armchair activists who bought about this sorry state of affairs keep quite about it out of embarrassment,still whenever do,es a bigot hold his hands up and admit he or she was wrong?