London's statues from 'bygone' imperial past to be reviewed, mayor says

snoop1130

On 6/9/2020 at 10:46 PM, bartender100 said:

What ever people think of Churchill he is credited as stopping the Nazis, had he failed I am afraid that there would not be many black people around today, ironic as it is

He is also credited with stopping the miners strikes in Wales

Tonypandy riots , for a living wage .

He sent in scottish soldiers , to quell the uprising ....

Edited by elliss
  • Like 1

On 6/10/2020 at 9:15 AM, baansgr said:

I stopped reading this when they said the statue was erected 170 years ago...can't even get that simple fact right..

I think it's you who is reading wrongly - It was erected in 1895 - 170 years after Colston's death

Edited by Airbagwill

47 minutes ago, Airbagwill said:

The slave owner’s compensation, and absence of any compensation for the enslaved remain at the heart of inequalities in Britain today

So how do we now compensate the enslaved?  Maybe attempt to trace their descendants and hand them some cash?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HauptmannUK said:

So how do we now compensate the enslaved?  Maybe attempt to trace their descendants and hand them some cash?

Again this is a rather weak attempt to dichotomise the issue.

It isn't a simple matter of pay out.....to get some idea, it might be helpful if you looked at the way countries like New Zealand and Australia deal with the acknowledged injustices against indigenous peoples.

The problem or rather inheritance is institutionalised racism and how eradicate it.

Racism is like alcoholism, you can't duo anything about it until you admit you have a problem.

This thread and others is not about pulling down a statue, it is about racism and George Floyd as the catalyst to a worldwide protest. Colton is not a new issue there have been protests about him for Dedes even cetuaries. It is the far right and racists who are trying to profit from diverting attention from the real issues here. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/9/2020 at 3:04 PM, sanuk711 said:

The female community officer put her arm gently around our brave victim. ............

"Now Shaniqua, when you're ready, do you want to point to the statue that offended you"......................

It didn't just offend me it was actually looking down at me as well.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HauptmannUK said:

Now wanting to remove statues of Nelson....

I guess Phase 2 will involve censoring the history books - maybe recruit an army of volunteers to sit in libraries to go through the books and Tippex out any names which are deemed offensive.

Pity these protesters don't channel their energy towards stopping modern-day slavery. 

Need to open the libraries first, amongst other things like PUBS!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, HauptmannUK said:

Pity these protesters don't channel their energy towards stopping modern-day slavery. 

Cannot.  Big backlog of grievances dating back centuries need to be cleared up first before modern-day slavery is addressed.  ????

Edited by torturedsole

BLM London have cancelled their protest for this Saturday in Hyde Park citing security concerns with far right groups present. But anti-fascist groups, momentum and other BLM supporters are still meeting in Hyde Park. On Friday there is a BLM march from Marble Arch to Downing Street. Clash of the titans coming up.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, torturedsole said:

Bottled it now there's a little pushback.  

That's only the official BLM march, the anti-fascists are still going. Saturday is hosted by, London anti-fascist assembly, The London Green anti-capitalist front, our future now, momentum, jewdas, green anti-capitalist front, all nazis are losers, labour against racism and fascism.

Edited by tribalfusion001

14 hours ago, Airbagwill said:

Do you really think identifying the defendants of slaves is that difficult???

Yes. Difficult.  Unless, of course, you make the racist assumption that only people of African heritage can be victims of slavery.  Most recent and contemporary victims of slavery are not.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, torturedsole said:

Cannot.  Big backlog of grievances dating back centuries need to be cleared up first before modern-day slavery is addressed.  ????

I disagree, modern day slavery is effecting real people today and this is a more important issue.

Ant Teethers are not concerned about modern day slavery because they cannot use that to attack society .

15 hours ago, Airbagwill said:

Absolute rubbish! What is happening now and has slowly been occurring since WW2, is the UNCENSORING of  centuries of history.

you clearly are no historian

Well the previous censoring of history wasn't very successful because I clearly remember being taught about slavery and the 'slave triangle' when in school around 50 years ago...

Anyway, the 'protesters' have now moved on from statues of slave traders to 'imperialists' - so Captain Cook, Christopher Columbus and a whole bunch of others are on the hit list. Demands for paintings/artwork in public buildings to be taken down. Books next I guess.  Maybe 2020 will be 'Year Zero' for the UK. A reset of history.

Meanwhile elsewhere in racist hellhole Britain 44 people of various ethnicities arrived on the south coast yesterday. They were met with a medical check up, food, accommodation and a welcome pack written in 12 languages detailing their rights and access to financial support.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, HauptmannUK said:

Well the previous censoring of history wasn't very successful because I clearly remember being taught about slavery and the 'slave triangle' when in school around 50 years ago...

Which was AFTER WW2

I think even the dimmest student was aware of the slave trade - what unfortunately they seem not to have grasped is the ramifications and knock on effects of this.

just read the reporting of these protests and you can see the right's interpretation that ignores the evidence and perpetuates the lies, but using the same "facts"

It is very sad that at school you were not taught to be analytical about the world around you.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

I disagree, modern day slavery is effecting real people today and this is a more important issue.

Ant Teethers are not concerned about modern day slavery because they cannot use that to attack society .

This is a feeble attempt to dichotomise the situation with false issues - you are trying to make it a case of "if not one then the other" - which is a totally false approach.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1