Gold Jewelry

cshehan

Hi most gold shops in the relm are honest merchants. Thai gold is very much a currency. To be "currency" it must be 22 k or higher. Buy a chain today sell it back to any gold shop in the relm & the sell price will be close. You will lose a small handling fee. The price will be dependant on the world price of gold on the date of sale as the puchase price is. Many Thais have a savings account around thier necks. As for western gold, it is commerce with a big markup for the jewellers. A huge 10 k chain can contain much less gold than a modest 24k chain.I cant say that a 10 k piece of jewellry is gold as it is 60% something else.(something much cheaper for the jeweller to buy) As for 24k, Rare in Thai but avalible, bieng weak as it is soft, au contrair. The softness makes it stronger. It bends without breaking. & bends back again without breaking.If you are looking for a chain to lift heavy objects I dont sugest 22 or 24k. If you are setting stones in a ring I would sugest 18k or less as the softness of the gold allows the stone(s) to loosen. I have often been told by Walmart shoppers that my 24k jewellry doesnt look like gold its too brassy. I just smile nod & let them continue thinking they Know what color gold is by the color of thier walmart jewellry. I buy gold regularly in Thailand always from a gold shop, never from a "jeweller" and have yet to be ripped off. As for a stamp????????HELLO I, and any jeweller, machinist, or hobbiest can stamp any piece of metal with any combination of numbers & letters. The hammer I drive nails with at work is stamped 28k. For those who deont know good gold from not, dont buy in pattaya try YANAWA in Krungtep. Get into the most crowded shop & feel free to purchase what you like. If you actually like 10 or 14 k gold????????????I cant help you

Tongdee na Alberta

HELLO I, and any jeweller, machinist, or hobbiest can stamp any piece of metal with any combination of numbers & letters.

That's true, I just bought a customized Neung baht gold ring. My design with my name engraved.

• 2 weeks later...
I also disagree with your wife's ideas about buying gold in Thailand...Maybe she thinks 'better safe than sorry'... All I can say is, I have never heard of anyone being ripped off in a gold shop...Also, most gold shops stamp their pieces. This is your best guarantee.

The shops definitely mark their gold.

If you are selling they will check to see if it is their own or someone elses!!

It is a very small mark, not like the Hallmark in the UK.

Generally Thai's consider American (18ct) gold to be inferior.

Only Thai gold (24 ct) is acceptable.

Labour charges for workmanship are ridiculously low in Thailand.

The shops definitely mark their gold.

If you are selling they will check to see if it is their own or someone elses!!

It is a very small mark, not like the Hallmark in the UK.

Generally Thai's consider American (18ct) gold to be inferior.

Only Thai gold (24 ct) is acceptable.

Its not quite 24 ct but varies inbetween 95-97 % only fine gold 99.999 is classed as 24 ct I get mine from Dubai.

How they do check it? if you look at the gold shops counter you will see a little glass bottle and a piece of slate, what they do is scrape a little gold onto the slate and drip some nitric acid on it if it stays the same colour you are OK if not they won't touch it, the gold that is not the acid.

As its the better half's birthday today I have just come back from buying some, I just wish she had been born in a month when the price of gold was lower.

if you are buying gold in Thailand, buy it from the shops in Yaowarat (chinatown) in Bangkok... the price is updated daily and is sold by the weight. you will get EXACTLY WHAT YOU PAY FOR and you will not be 'ripped off'.

it is usually 96.5 % pure and is good as anything you will buy in any country in the world. the difference is that the workmanship on the bracelets or necklaces will be excellent quality and you will get better value for money than buying it abroad...

and as for being 'costume jewellery' johpa??????

you obviously don't know what the ###### you're talking about

18 k gold is only 75% pure and as for the 9k or 14k rubbish that people buy and wear in the USA and Europe, well try and sell that in Bangkok and you will be laughed out of the shop, it is only good for scrap metal...