UK PENSIONS Dependency allowance stopped

With the ending of dependency allowance meaning a loss of around 2.500 UKP. a year. Has anyone been able to get thier Tax code altered to reduce tax. I have been trying for over 3 months.Yesterday  phoned the tax office  Giving them what State pension i am now getting and was told that I have to get UK. pension office to confirm my current pension, which I had  allready tried  only to be told by them that they didnot do this, I have e-mailed the tax office back in March to which they replied in May asking me to fill in the form they  e-mailed which I did 5 weeks later the reply came asking for my Foreign earnings which was not asked for on the form they send in the first place. Just interested to know has any body had a result on this yet. the actual difference is about 19 UK.P. Per month   

do you fill in a Self Assessment form each year?  If you do ( I do) the tax code gets checked each year and an adjustment is made if required.  If you don't do SA, you are rather in the hands of the muppets in the tax office noticing a change and doing something about it, something they are not renowned for doing..  You can register for SA on the HMRC Government Gateway website, even if you have not done SA before. 

41 minutes ago, bert bloggs said:

my tax code has changed ,i now no longer pay tax ,happened automatically 

You had a bit luck there then I made the mistake of an e-mail to those <deleted> at wolverhampton and got the standard reply nothing to do with us, so have now e-mailed international pension office Newcastle so will see what the out come is. 

2 hours ago, Pilotman said:

do you fill in a Self Assessment form each year?  If you do ( I do) the tax code gets checked each year and an adjustment is made if required.  If you don't do SA, you are rather in the hands of the muppets in the tax office noticing a change and doing something about it, something they are not renowned for doing..  You can register for SA on the HMRC Government Gateway website, even if you have not done SA before. 

As I understand it you cannot register on the goverment gateway if you do not have a UK. address

2 hours ago, jonesthepost said:

As I understand it you cannot register on the goverment gateway if you do not have a UK. address

Strange that. I don't have a UK address and haven't had for 15 years, but I have a gov Gateway which was opened in 2016, using my Thai address.

I also believe anyone who pays UK tax can open a gov Gateway?

Edited by Surasak
Add details
  • Like 2

HMRC assumed my state pension had risen as though I lived in the UK. I phoned HMRC on the Monday, and told them I lived in Thailand and my pension was frozen. My company pension payment on Friday was adjisted to taken account of my over payment. Two weeks later a cheque for previous year overpayments  was sent to my registered UK addrrss. I could not fault their service.

• Confused 1
17 minutes ago, English Engineer said:

HMRC assumed my state pension had risen as though I lived in the UK. I phoned HMRC on the Monday, and told them I lived in Thailand and my pension was frozen. My company pension payment on Friday was adjisted to taken account of my over payment. Two weeks later a cheque for previous year overpayments  was sent to my registered UK addrrss. I could not fault their service.

I take it then that you have permanent residency in Thailand?  If not, why tell them that you live here, when you are only allowed, by your extension to stay,  to visit for a maximum of 12 months.  In other words, you are a temporary visitor.  

56 minutes ago, English Engineer said:

My apologies for asking, but is your registered address on the computers of HMRC (Tax) and The Pension Service, the UK one or your Thai one?

53 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

I take it then that you have permanent residency in Thailand?  If not, why tell them that you live here, when you are only allowed, by your extension to stay,  to visit for a maximum of 12 months.  In other words, you are a temporary visitor.  

I don't think HMRC care about your status wherever you may be, they class you automatically as non-resident if either: you spent fewer than 16 days in the UK (or 46 days if you have not been classed as UK resident for the 3 previous tax years).

4 hours ago, jonesthepost said:

Yes you can. I registered and my address is in Thailand.

It's a very good site. Easy to amend information which they usually react to very quickly. You can get emails sent to you notifying any changes or messages and then enter the site to check them.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

It's a very good site. Easy to amend information which they usually react to very quickly. You can get emails sent to you notifying any changes or messages and then enter the site to check them.

I just went to register and apparently it was shut down in March 2019 is that true?

2 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

I have just checked mine & found that my LoS address is the one they're using too.

• 3 weeks later...