Ukrainian woman found dead on Samui: "It may not be murder at all" says police chief as mysterious case baffles Thai police

webfact

Ukrainian woman found dead on Samui: "It may not be murder at all" says police chief as mysterious case baffles Thai police

2pm.jpg

Picture: Naew Na

Naew Na reported that the death of a 31 year old Ukrainian woman may not be murder after all.

Police are clearly baffled and waiting on the cause of death for several days before coming to any conclusions. 

At first it appeared that because Olha Frolova was found covered by several palm fronds it must be murder. Now investigators are not so sure. 

The absence of the woman's phone, lack of others seen in the area on CCTV and no robbery motive lends weight to a possible suicide theory. 

3pm3.jpg

Yesterday the Surat Thani top brass in the form of provincial commander Pol Maj-Gen Thakoon Netraphukkana went to Soi Pracharak Pattana in Maret district to where the body was found at the weekend. 

This was a third visit by investigators after more evidence was uncovered on a second try.

The chief wanted to know more about the palm fronds and why the victim's phone had not been located. He ordered that the search be widened to a 100 meter radius. 

2pm2.jpg

The victim was seen returning a blue bike to a rental shop at 11.45 am on May 25th. She then walked off alone at 11.54.

(There was no mention of an argument with her new boyfriend, as previously reported, in the Naew Na story, notes Thaivisa)

At 1.08 pm she was caught walking alone on CCTV in Soi Pracharak Pattana 1.8 kms from where her body was found. 

This has all led to investigators believing that she died sometime on May 25th.

Pol Maj-Gen Thakoon said there were many clues, many mysteries such as why no one else was seen on CCTV in the area, no one was seen following the victim, her money was still in her purse but there was no phone. 

Phone signal records show that she was in the area. 

Posts online about suiicide and reports that she had a bipolar condition further muddy the waters in the case. 

"It may not be murder at all," admitted Maj-Gen Thakoon who said that results of the detailed autopsy into the cause of death will not be available for 4-5 days. 

Her estranged husband - a Ukrainian man who is a freelance photographer on Koh Samui, her new love interest, a British fitness trainer, and the Thai mushroom forager who found the body and two friends of his have all been interviewed. 

Source: Naew Na

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-06-10

• Like 1

1 hour ago, webfact said:

her money was still in her purse but there was no phone. 

boyfriend or husband didn't kill her for money if they had anything to do with it

as for cctv - do they expect a murderer to travel up the road in full view of cameras 

all just useless talk until COD is established

A superior office had to tell them to widen the search area? Are all low ranking police incompetent in Thailand?

Now they are considering a covered body as a possible suicide. Guess that question I just asked has been answered.

I personally think it was the mushroom picker. There was another news report earlier about a mushroom picker finding another body. Do we have a serial mushroom picker murderer, or a copycat? Police must look at this as another possible theory.

39 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

To me it reads very strange that they are mentioning suicide. They clearly state that they found the body covered by several palm fronds. She can´t cover herself, right?

If suicide and she took a sleeping pill there was very well time enough to cover her body. It is nowhere said that she could not breathe because of the cover. I can breathe very well when covered by my blanket. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, webfact said:

The chief wanted to know more about the palm fronds and why the victim's phone had not been located. He ordered that the search be widened to a 100 meter radius.

That's why he is the chief. 

1 hour ago, sweatalot said:

If suicide and she took a sleeping pill there was very well time enough to cover her body. It is nowhere said that she could not breathe because of the cover. I can breathe very well when covered by my blanket. 

Yeah, I guess you just feel the need to talk against common sense. Just think about some clear facts. How many times do you hear or read about suicide cases where they found that the dead person covered up themself? Not saying it is impossible. Just that it´s strange. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Matzzon said:

To me it reads very strange that they are mentioning suicide. They clearly state that they found the body covered by several palm fronds. She can´t cover herself, right?

Of course she can!!   She takes whatever she's planned on and whilst she's waiting, she covers herself with the fronds that she has already collected.

15 hours ago, KhunKenAP said:

A superior office had to tell them to widen the search area? Are all low ranking police incompetent in Thailand?

Now they are considering a covered body as a possible suicide. Guess that question I just asked has been answered.

I personally think it was the mushroom picker. There was another news report earlier about a mushroom picker finding another body. Do we have a serial mushroom picker murderer, or a copycat? Police must look at this as another possible theory.

Could be, forensics would be able to tell if there has been any sexual contact or cause of death, I think you do not kill your self and cover your own body 

18 hours ago, Matzzon said:

Why not ?

On 6/9/2020 at 11:48 PM, Matzzon said:

Yeah, I guess you just feel the need to talk against common sense. Just think about some clear facts. How many times do you hear or read about suicide cases where they found that the dead person covered up themself? Not saying it is impossible. Just that it´s strange. 

Maybe it was a little cold that night...

On 6/11/2020 at 6:28 AM, cracker1 said:

Why not ?

Try it yourself. Go into the jungle wearing loose shorts and T-shirt, lay on the ground in a ditch and cover yourself with palm fronds. It will take about ten seconds before you leap back up and start shaking and brushing yourself like a madman. Old palm fronts are a mecca for ants of all variety and the jungle floor is just as bad. 

Now had she been found exposed on the largest rock around, giving some measure of comfort and protection against biting insects, I would consider suicide as a possibility. This should all be basic stuff to the RTP highly trained detectives.