"US teacher" and his Thai family left my condo in a filthy mess, says landlady

webfact

6 hours ago, ezzra said:

If i were the owner i would document everything and see the US embassy in BKK to lodge a formal compliant and cost and expenses recovery proving the owners has copies of passport and copy of rental lease...

No she needs to go to Thai court and file the complaint. If they try to leave his passport will be flaged and he will be arrested until he sorts it out. There was a similar story about to aussie boys who left the country under a cloud, a few years later thinking all clear they were arrested on return.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ezzra said:

If i were the owner i would document everything and see the US embassy in BKK to lodge a formal compliant and cost and expenses recovery proving the owners has copies of passport and copy of rental lease...

For reference there is a US Consulate General in Chiang Mai at:-

Address: 387 Wichayanon Rd, Tambon Chang Moi, Mueang Chiang Mai District, Chiang Mai 50300, Thailand. 

And if they would have cleaned it spick-and-span and repaired all the damage, then like virtually all Thai landlords, you'd have made an excuse to keep all their deposits. 

So, that's the bed you landlords make for yourselves.  Tough.
But I will agree.  The renter looks like a slob.  Lord, how can people live in filth like that.  Ugggh. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, keith101 said:

I dont know anyone can live in a disgusting mess like that .

Crackheads and addicts do just fine in that environment.

9 hours ago, keith101 said:

I dont know anyone can live in a disgusting mess like that .

It's just one picture of a filthy kitchen and I doubt that anyone was "living" in that room. 

The landlady didn't say anything about the state of the rest of the condo so, presumably, that was habitable if the tenants had been there for years.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, JonnyF said:

I had a similar story with a property I rent in the UK, dog mess everywhere, radiators pulled off walls etc. Cost me about 7000 pounds to fix. I sued him but he had no money.

Not sure why this is news to be honest. Other than the fact it's Good Thai landlady and Bad Dirty Farang tenant. I'm sure there are plenty of Thais living in similar messes up and down the country but that doesn't give the locals a chance to sneer.

I am not sure what she expects the police to do, I don't think this would be a criminal case. If she wanted to try to get compensation from them, it would be a civil matter and she would have to sue them herself, which would probably cost her a whole lot more than the payment for cleaning and unpaid electricity bills.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bob A Kneale said:

It's just one picture of a filthy kitchen and I doubt that anyone was "living" in that room. 

The landlady didn't say anything about the state of the rest of the condo so, presumably, that was habitable if the tenants had been there for years.

There were many photos posted. Everything was horrible. But the people have made contact and settled the matter.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

If there was no "US teacher", this wouldn't even be a story here. Many posters, who are or have been landlords, have stated here about their bad experiences with tenants but they haven't ranted / raved on with photos on Facebook etc.

Although this is a bad experience for this landlady, she's just using it now to put s%$t on foreigners. A bit like Anutin and his face mask tirade.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/10/2020 at 10:47 AM, ezzra said:

My friends/coworkers tried to that with the French embassy, and they refused to do anything to help.
My friends rented out a house to 2 French teachers, and when they didn't pay I went there with her (the man in the family was temporary working in another province), the house and furniture was smashed up and in the end they had to spend over 200,000 Baht on repairs, and it took them 3 months to get the house in a state so they could rent it out again. So, we are talking about a total of over 250,000 Baht and still the French embassy refused to do anything to help.

What they can do now, as Thailand is in COVID-19 lockdown, is to contact immigration... we are talking about an American, so he should still be stuck here in Thailand and immigration can refuse him to leave the country or detain and deport him when the flights starts again. That tactic worked for another friend who had problems with her foreigner ex-husband. The court ordered him to pay child support for their children, so he left Thailand to avoid that, but came back to party just before the COVID-19 lock down... my friend found out about this, called immigration, and 2 days later her ex was in custody and he is still waiting for deportation.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kasset Tak said:

and in the end they had to spend over 200,000 Baht on repairs

Sounds unlikely!

3 minutes ago, Kasset Tak said:

and it took them 3 months to get the house in a state so they could rent

Sounds even more unlikely!

Edited by BritManToo

On 6/10/2020 at 10:47 AM, ezzra said:

The US embassy has no task and no power in this matter. 

Even if you go after this messy pigs and find them, they will have no money, and even if you go to court, pay for it and win, they will - due to lack of means - not pay you a satang.

Sometimes I think, giving up corporal punishment was a severe mistake.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Redline said:

It’s best to stipulate in the rental agreement that the landlord can inspect the premises with prior notice-if that’s legal in Thailand?

Im guessing it's legal we have it written in our contracts

• Like 1

19 hours ago, elektrified said:
21 hours ago, Bob A Kneale said:

There were many photos posted. Everything was horrible. But the people have made contact and settled the matter.

No, there were not many photos in the OP and the link, there was one photo that included two slightly different angles of the kitchen.

26 minutes ago, JackedUpAndgoodToGo said:

nd the people agreed to pay monthly installments of 1,000 baht totaling 20,000 BAHT for damages. Case closed.

Let's hope so, you never know with this kind of people. But he has no choice really, he is working here as a teacher so can't escape. 

Edited by balo

Assuming that all this information is correct. For example, already some of this information as posted herein has not been, as in the case of the landlords (herein, referred to as "LL") original statement on Facebook. Wherein the LL did not state that it was a teacher and did not state that he/she had children.  I think if others step back and look at this critically, there are challenges not only with her statements to date, but also with the accusations. For example, are there any pictures of the unit PRIOR to the occupant or occupants renting? We naturally may assume that the broken door and other damages were caused by the occupant. What if they were not?  My point is that my experience has shown me that when stories such as these evolve to become more elaborate as this one appears to be, they are more often than not either not true or embellished. 

More and more people do not want to rent out their properties, and who can blame them ? There’s a program on British TV, makes me sick to see what people can do or how they live. I knew a lovely girl , dressed like a top model , intelligent too. Her place was a tip. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, geisha said:

More and more people do not want to rent out their properties, and who can blame them ? There’s a program on British TV, makes me sick to see what people can do or how they live. I knew a lovely girl , dressed like a top model , intelligent too. Her place was a tip. 

Some expats can have an odd attitude. I went to pick up the expat factory manager one morning when his car broke down. Nice small estate with all the houses neat and tidy front gardens.

His place had a front jungle grass and weeds a metre high. I just mentioned it could do with a trim and he said not my garden so I don't need to do it.

I didn't see inside but I did wonder.

Edited by overherebc