"US teacher" and his Thai family left my condo in a filthy mess, says landlady

webfact

On 6/10/2020 at 10:47 AM, ezzra said:

If i were the owner i would document everything and see the US embassy in BKK to lodge a formal compliant and cost and expenses recovery proving the owners has copies of passport and copy of rental lease...

If I were a smart American teacher I would use the the wife's ID to rent, and let her do the popular name change.

But 

If I were the smart Thai landlady, I would for sure take a look once in a while at the condo, both for conditions and unpaid bills.

However,

I am not smart, not American, not Thai, not teacher, not lady. 

And always did my supposed job as a landlord...

15 minutes ago, tingtong said:

If I were the smart Thai landlady, I would for sure take a look once in a while at the condo,

My wife and I rent a house in the UK.  It's in the rental agreement that the agent can periodically check up on the condition of the property.  Can't blame them either.

Our latest agent doesn't carry out these checks with us personally but I suspect the maintenance man, i.e annual boiler check and occasional maintenance man, who's one of the same, keeps the agent appraised on the condition of the property and we're not likely to turn into Wayne and Waynetta Slob anytime soon.

On 6/11/2020 at 2:55 PM, Kasset Tak said:

My friends/coworkers tried to that with the French embassy, and they refused to do anything to help.
My friends rented out a house to 2 French teachers, and when they didn't pay I went there with her (the man in the family was temporary working in another province), the house and furniture was smashed up and in the end they had to spend over 200,000 Baht on repairs, and it took them 3 months to get the house in a state so they could rent it out again. So, we are talking about a total of over 250,000 Baht and still the French embassy refused to do anything to help.

What they can do now, as Thailand is in COVID-19 lockdown, is to contact immigration... we are talking about an American, so he should still be stuck here in Thailand and immigration can refuse him to leave the country or detain and deport him when the flights starts again. That tactic worked for another friend who had problems with her foreigner ex-husband. The court ordered him to pay child support for their children, so he left Thailand to avoid that, but came back to party just before the COVID-19 lock down... my friend found out about this, called immigration, and 2 days later her ex was in custody and he is still waiting for deportation.

How the hell could you ramp up 200 000-250 000 thb on repairs, as you could build a house or few with that? ????

If you do proper background checks you can limit this type of tenant. I have 10 rental units in America and have been faced with even worse situations than this. It generally was a reflection of my failing to properly look at the past actions of my tenants. If you have a low credit credit score there probably is a reason for it.