Buying a house before 1998

Just Generally Curious about those married and living here before 1998----

If you didn't want to live in a condo (or you were in an area that didn't have condo's.) What did you do?

Just rent?    Or were there other ways around the law of the day.?

3 hours ago, blackcab said:

The description of this forum is:

Real estate, housing, buying a condominium in Thailand. Ask all your practical and legal questions here.

So I am asking if someone has a time machine as the question is about buying pre 1998........

Maybe I should have worded it better because what I wanted to know was --how did the Thai women's attitude change, before 1998?  you could not meet a farang get married and get a house from him.....

OK plan B next time

4 hours ago, sanuk711 said:

So I am asking if someone has a time machine as the question is about buying pre 1998........

Maybe I should have worded it better because what I wanted to know was --how did the Thai women's attitude change, before 1998?  you could not meet a farang get married and get a house from him.....

OK plan B next time

It was possible in 1998, but a kludge. You had to buy the house in the parent's name, then they would transfer it to the daughter as part of her inheritance.  Not much different really, as the daughter was quite vocal about making sure the transfer from her parents occurred. The new law just made the process easier.

The only issue back then was if the girl did not have any relatives from whom she could inherit. That was really the value add of the new law in 99.

When I came to Thailand around 1995 to market my company's product, I met an American married to a Thai that told me he bought a property by putting it in the name of is Thai brother-in-law. That's how he got around the restriction at the time.

The Thai law does not distinguish the difference between a natural and a juristic Thai person - that's where the answer is!

Many alien lived all their life in houses they held in CoLtds, initially a grid of totally eight (as you needed seven shareholders, plus the company holding the property) and lateron only four (once they needed only three shareholders). Not a single natural Thai person involved, in full conformity with the law as every company was held by 100% juristic Thai persons. No inheritance, divorce or gambling debt issue, watertight and legal. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Sydebolle said:

watertight and legal. 

It seems to have taken a knocking in the last few years Sydebolle, with different threats about cleaning up if a company was set up just to buy a house to live in. Also you have the annual fee's ---I am told around the 20K mark.

Thanks for your input.

3 hours ago, sanuk711 said:

It seems to have taken a knocking in the last few years Sydebolle, with different threats about cleaning up if a company was set up just to buy a house to live in. Also you have the annual fee's ---I am told around the 20K mark.

Thanks for your input.

Most of the farangs on my mountain use this method for their land and keep the house in their name.  I have done the same since 2007, 15k/yr tax, with no problems.

• 4 weeks later...

I think the Americans had a special deal..........could buy small parcel of land.....I don't know if that still exists.

What I was looking at when I posted -was that  a Thai female could not buy house if married to a non Thai until that period.........I just wondered if that made a difference in relationships....

26 minutes ago, sanuk711 said:

I think the Americans had a special deal..........could buy small parcel of land.....I don't know if that still exists.

What I was looking at when I posted -was that  a Thai female could not buy house if married to a non Thai until that period.........I just wondered if that made a difference in relationships....

Sure your not thinking of the Amity company ?? 100% ownership but restricted in that it cannot own land. 

22 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

Sure your not thinking of the Amity company ?? 100% ownership but restricted in that it cannot own land. 

No, A Thai women could not own land being married to a non Thai before 1998----

Thai Women married to Foreigners

Prior to 1998, any Thai woman who married a foreigner would lose her right to purchase land in Thailand. She could, however, still retain land that she owned prior to marrying the foreigner. However, the recent (1999) Ministerial regulation now allows Thai women married to foreigners the right to purchase land, but the Thai spouse must prove that the money used in the purchase of freehold land is legally solely theirs with no foreign claim to it. This is usually achieved by the foreign spouse signing a declaration stating that the funds used for the purchase of property belonged to the Thai spouse prior to the marriage and are beyond his claim..

That was in relation to the statement that Americans had a special deal. Nothing to do with the issues Thai women had when married to non Thais. 

Americans do have a special deal in owning 100% of a company, but not heard of any deal where Americans can own land.

No I guess not LivinLos....I had not taken much notice of the treaty as I'm not American.....also my posting wasn't about that --more about a Thai female owning land.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

While the Thailand Treaty of Amity provides the above-mentioned advantages, the US citizen is also subjected to several restrictions stipulated in the treaty. The Thailand Treaty of Amity prohibits American investors from engaging in the following reserved activities:

• Communications
  • Transportation;
  • Fiduciary functions
  • Banking involving depository functions;
  • Land Ownership, Exploitation of land or
  • Other natural resources; and
  • Domestic trade in indigenous agricultural products.

9 hours ago, sanuk711 said:

No, A Thai women could not own land being married to a non Thai before 1998----

I worked with a guy who had 7 houses in pattaya back in the old days. Every time he and his wife wanted to buy a new house they would divorce, she would buy the house then they would remarry. They needed to be married so she could live with him in Saudi. He was losing count of all the divorces/marriages they had.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1