BANGKOK

Prior to covid, I was already planning a purchase. First up I have always stated never buy real estate in Thailand.

This bit unusual. Been here 7 yr same Thai partner. Had been looking into ways to gift her ~4 mil when I'm gone. Problem with some (most) Thai the cash can tend to slip away. So I'm leaning towards putting property into her name. Most likely a detached property not something in gated community. She has seen first hand of my rentals in Oz that owning a property does not mean you need live it, can just rent it out.

So my question is buy now or hold off till later?

Please guys I don't need advice about you will lose the money etc. I have no issue with that and can afford it. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Maybe have the seller carry back paper for 7 years at a low or zero interest rate that way not all your cash is immediately tied up in the place.

Definitely a buyers market so things are in your favor

Thanks. Seems good advice.

Hope this doesn't sound like a brag. Far from my intention. I'm we'll set up and will pay cash. This next comment is more related to banks and financial generally.

I had April fixed term deposit in Oz mature April. 500k aud. It was @ 2.65%. The rollover offer was 1%.

Opportunity cost now is zip.

I think it's more if prices here will fall enough to justify buy later and more so exchange rates. In my case aud is bit of speculative currency. However Thai gov seem to be keen to have baht slide a bit.

9 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

It's a good time to buy if you can find a good discount, if not then it's a bad time to buy with all the uncertainty. I don't think condos are dropping enough yet, i have seen some houses on facebook with reductions

Dumb question I know.....what do I type in Facebook search ...."houses for sale Bangkok"?

On side comment, using the internet to look for property in Thailand, I have found it difficult. The exact address is rarely given, often the pictures are just rubbish. 

The real estate sites in Oz (along with most countries, I would think) are fantastic. Includes exact map re location, past sales and rental history etc etc.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Please guys I don't need advice about you will lose the money etc. I have no issue with that and can afford it.

no advice just a simple offer.

just give me the money i'll kick you in the balls and you'll feel the same as you will when you get punked.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Its been my experience that finding a 'deal' on a property is a matter of finding someone desperate, which is rare, and thais whether it be land, homes, or condos will just ask for a high price and hold it for 10 years if they have to in order to get it. 

• Like 2

Surprisingly the "gated communities" upmarket houses that rent for 60k a month upwards are/were in high demand....the lower end 17k-30k are two a penny and tend to struggle finding a tenant...just something to bear in mind. That is Pattaya region. If it's soley for rental, try finding a property with a long term sitting tenant.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Dumb question I know.....what do I type in Facebook search ...."houses for sale Bangkok"?

On side comment, using the internet to look for property in Thailand, I have found it difficult. The exact address is rarely given, often the pictures are just rubbish. 

The real estate sites in Oz (along with most countries, I would think) are fantastic. Includes exact map re location, past sales and rental history etc etc.

In facebook go into Marketplace then search then Property for sale category, then you can select filters. It seems to be easier using desktop rather than the app. Also add all the Pattaya property buy sell groups and they will appear in your feed everyday. Facebook is trial and error, just play about with it, you don't need to bother with the friend nonsense

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great time to buy and a much overlooked part of Pattaya City is Suksabai Villa.

It doesn't look that much but it must go as is the only way the city can expand and just be a 20 min walk into walking street.

Don't buy lower than the Land department office as that area floods.

A lot of construction stopped in Suksabai Villa when the army took over, but the two approved condos will go when the time is right, then buying there will be too late.

If you drive down behind the Caddie Shack restaurant you will see the size and style of houses that will continue. 

Try hipflat or renthub, those sites give you a fair idea of prices.

9 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

The real estate sites in Oz (along with most countries, I would think) are fantastic

I think the reason that some of the information is vague is that unlike most Western places, it is rare that an agent is given an exclusive. 

It has been a buyer's market for a long time and often that has merely meant that there were a lot of properties on the market, not so much a compromise or a meeting of a real market price. Until the owner wants to drop the price to a reasonable point, it likely will not sell, but I have seen when people do drop the price, it sells quickly... so, you are of course best to take the time and learn the market in the area you want to buy... 

Also, since this is pretty much a gift - get some feedback from the lady... not everyone wants to be a landlord.. it can be a real pain. If you are not planning on living there, there might be better investments, like gold or vacant land... land appreciates, buildings depreciate... 

I have a lot of experience w/these types of investment/gifts... mostly at first we bought farmland for the family to make a living... though we recently bought a nice home that had been reduced in price about 35%... when the owner needs to sell, it becomes a different game...

if you need any further info, you can PM. - - glad to help if I can.