Good time to buy or wait?

6 minutes ago, khunPer said:

Might well be depending of area. If in a turist-area wait some month, maybe half a year. But as @worgeordie wisely said, don't stop looking...????

Thanks for advice. Mean that.

One of the problems is that "the area" is too flexible from my side. 

Here is my thinking....The Thai partner will (I think) always wish to be central.

Currently we Phra Ram 9. Perfect. Love it.

In few years I'm thinking over condo life and might like see out the end game in detached condo or even home in sticks.

• Like 1

On 6/11/2020 at 5:18 AM, mr mr said:

no advice just a simple offer.

just give me the money i'll kick you in the balls and you'll feel the same as you will when you get punked.

maybe the guy knows this lady well and she will not and does not want to rip him off , there not all the same.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, madmen said:

"Disclaimer: Investments made through a P2P lending platform are not protected and are subject to risks including credit risk (defaults) and liquidity risk. These investments are not subject to review by theAustralian Financial Complaints Authority."

good luck with that.

Quite correct. My luck seems to be holding up quite well after 5 years.

Maximum single investment is $500. It's called risk spreading.

19 hours ago, kenk24 said:

I think the reason that some of the information is vague is that unlike most Western places, it is rare that an agent is given an exclusive. 

It has been a buyer's market for a long time and often that has merely meant that there were a lot of properties on the market, not so much a compromise or a meeting of a real market price. Until the owner wants to drop the price to a reasonable point, it likely will not sell, but I have seen when people do drop the price, it sells quickly... so, you are of course best to take the time and learn the market in the area you want to buy... 

Also, since this is pretty much a gift - get some feedback from the lady... not everyone wants to be a landlord.. it can be a real pain. If you are not planning on living there, there might be better investments, like gold or vacant land... land appreciates, buildings depreciate... 

I have a lot of experience w/these types of investment/gifts... mostly at first we bought farmland for the family to make a living... though we recently bought a nice home that had been reduced in price about 35%... when the owner needs to sell, it becomes a different game...

if you need any further info, you can PM. - - glad to help if I can. 

If you are buying to rent, please remember the three golden rules - location, location, location.  Good luck!

I'm guessing these days you have ample time on your hands?

Build a home for her, but please do not use any standard designs.

Do exactly what you feel would make both of you happy, put in things like electric gates, Jacuzzi in a corner of the living room, perhaps near the bbq sundeck, walk in closets, do whatever you feel like!

4 million is doable in the countryside, with all the features you like.  You will thank yourself in years to come..... 

On 6/10/2020 at 10:43 PM, Mama Noodle said:

Its been my experience that finding a 'deal' on a property is a matter of finding someone desperate, which is rare, and thais whether it be land, homes, or condos will just ask for a high price and hold it for 10 years if they have to in order to get it. 

One would think they're should be a lot of desperate people about in the coming months, i'd wait another 6-12 months.

Bargain hard, as someone has mentioned 50% of asking price is what i'd offer.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

If you're not embarrased by your initial offer then it's too low.

Wrong way around, for this market.
If, as a buyer, you are not embarrassed by your offer it is, very likely , too high!

To paraphrase, The lights have gone out all over Bangkok, they will not come on again during our lifetime.

Edited by wordchild
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, Mama Noodle said:

I think even a desperate person would likely take that as an insult. 

Agreed...even though some owners ask crazy prices, where 50% off would actually be a fair value (thinking about the ฿250k+/sqm 1BR condos), those units are better off just left on the shelf with the owners living in their fantasy land.  Some people price their units more realistically and 20-25% below asking price would be more reasonable (all things considered).

• Thanks 1

On 6/13/2020 at 2:58 PM, blackcab said:

There is something rather nice about owning a property and not having to pay monthly service fees.

I agree about the monthly fees, yesterday i looked at a condo, it looked half run down, staff sitting about not doing much but the maintenance fee was pretty high at 2,000 baht a month, at least half must be spaffed up the wall.

A legalized con these common maintenance fees

On 6/10/2020 at 5:24 PM, DrJack54 said:

So my question is buy now or hold off till later?

Hold off a bit more but watch the news and keep looking. Anyone that depends on tourism and/or international economics will be watching too, and if it looks like things are going to open back up the owners are going to hold too. 

Your best bet is to scour the internet looking for desperate foreigners trying to offload and leave. Ive bought 2 properties like that for a nice profit but thats all timing and patience. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Airalee said:

I used an agent for my recent condo purchase and will be using him again in order to help my gf buy a condo too.  I can’t stress enough how important it is to have a good agent who can understand why you are offering what you are, but can also intelligently explain that to the seller.

My advice would be...

1.  Only use agents that are fluent in your language.  

2.  Find the condo you want (on your own) and are ready to make an offer on before contacting the agent.  Only use the agent to make the offer and write up the deal.  Don’t waste the agent’s time having them show you condo after condo after condo.  Be ready to close quickly.  

3.  Understand the market.  This means understanding the “value” of the condo based on realistic rental income (P/E ratio) and realistic opportunity costs.  For example....buying a unit at 450x rent is insane, but also thinking you will forever get 7% risk free return on your money is also wrong.  I have had many solid companies cut, or completely eliminate their dividends.  Capital gains on stocks can be quickly wiped out too and you can’t spend those anyways unless you are going to chip away at your portfolio.

4.  Relating to #3, understand when condos were initially sold during the real estate cycle and sometimes that means that certain projects, as much as one may like them, will be forever overpriced.

5.  If you’re buying as an investment (rental), only buy what you would live in yourself.  There are many units that truly aren’t worth living in for various reasons (location flaw, poor layout, blocked view,  etc.)

6.  ALWAYS be looking.  I’ve lived here for 8 years and only now bought.  I don’t feel like the money spent renting during that time was wasted.

7.  Only buy if you are committed to living in Thailand for the long term.

8.  Don’t be swayed by people here on Thaivisa that try to goad you into buying with emotionally charged statements such as “renting is throwing money away” or “you can’t afford to buy”.

How much did your purchasing agent cost you? if a buyer knows the market and value of properties I'm not sure what hiring an agent adds?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

How much did your purchasing agent cost you? if a buyer knows the market and value of properties I'm not sure what hiring an agent adds?

He didn’t cost me anything (well...they all cost someone something) as they were the listing agent for the condo I bought.  The agency is also the one of the rare ones that doesn’t do the “mark up” BS that you usually see but gets 4% from the seller.  The value added for me is that he understood me and didn’t treat me like a moron like most other agents I have encountered throughout life.  I also “incentivized” him.

22 minutes ago, wordchild said:

sometimes getting on the "right" side of an agent works. However, especially in Thailand, remember who/what they are working for; ie their sales com!

Of course they are working for a commission.  But, after doing your own due diligence...who would you rather work with?...a straight shooting, educated “farang” agent who can field your questions intelligently, where you know that nothing is “lost in translation”...or a “pretty” Thai girl, who when asked direct questions, gives you that “deer in the headlights” look and has little more to say than “this condo is good price...you should buy...cannot discount”.

• Like 1