Advice on buying a new car in Thailand

Sheryl

After a lifetime of only ever buying and driving used cars I've decided I'm getting too old for dealing with breakdowns aling the highway and other headaches and decided to for the first time buy a new cat.

I know what I want to het and will be buying cash upfront not on payments. BZefore I proceed, having never done it, I'd like to get better informed. Specifically:

1. Any pros and cons to buying from the dealer (manufacturer e.g. Honda) as opposed to private car lots? 

2. Are prices listed at the dealer fixed or can you negotiate a discount? In initial visit they showed me a printed price list and it seemed final but I didn't explore it at that point.

3. Does the purchase price include tax and registration fee or is that usually additional? I assume they will facilitate the registration as used care places do.

4.  Do dealers accept trade ins later? This is usual in the US and many people who don't want repair hassles buy new cars every 5 years or so each time turning in the old towards the price of the new. But as the dealership doesn't seem to sell other than new cars I am not sure this system applies in Thailand?

5. Any other peculiarities  or pitfalls to be aware of?

Thanks in advance.!

1 - No, my experiences have all been good 

2 - They may but unlikely - GO for as many extras yu can get including services

3 - I'm sure additional along with a small charge for the RED plates which restricts driving at night & provinces

4 - maybe depending on Dealer & vehicle - I'm about to resell back to Toyota Korat with 1 yr still remaining on their Finance 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

1. Any pros and cons to buying from the dealer (manufacturer e.g. Honda) as opposed to private car lots? 

2. Are prices listed at the dealer fixed or can you negotiate a discount? In initial visit they showed me a printed price list and it seemed final but I didn't explore it at that point.

3. Does the purchase price include tax and registration fee or is that usually additional? I assume they will facilitate the registration as used care places do.

1. Should not be a problem with any dealer. What private car lots sell new cars?

2. No they are not fixed, open to negotiation even though they will be careful how they approach it.

3. Should include everything including 11 months Class 1 insurance.

Paying cash is not a big advantage here as the salesman gets a good commission on any financing. As said above play each dealer against the other. We had the same company in different towns competing against each other with each offering different incentives.

• Like 2

Buy from the dealer is the safest bet.

I sent my Thai manager to the dealership to make a cash deal on (2) Brand New Trucks, one for me and one I gifted him.

He went to the dealership, made the deal, some how avoided going through the red plate scenario and arrived at my office with a large bow still on the hood and it was already registered with a Thai license plate.

The trucks on the lot were not the exact configurations we asked for, and I think it took about 2 weeks to get them into the dealership. Maybe that wait was how they got through the red plate, however, it could have been other personal connections?

He got a good deal from paying cash for (2) much less than the advertised price and they threw in free oil changes and routine maintenance. I think is was for 24 months.

The dealer, you know you are getting a brand new vehicle with warranty. Not so sure about those side of the road sellers.

At no time did I appear at the dealership, so as far as they knew, this was solely a Thai purchase.

Maybe had a farang shown up, there would have been no deal.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Forgot to mention to be careful of delivery times if the car you want is not on the lot. The dealers here do not seem to be the same as at home where they can look at which franchise has what car and can deal with them. When we were buying some of the delivery times were up to 3 months if you wanted something that was not on the lot.

• Like 1

When we got our son a car ,we went back and for to the dealer ,humming and harring ,every time they offered another "extra" till in the end we got the lot ,then bought it????

now he has a new car and i still drive my old one ,where did i go wrong .?????

Edited by bert bloggs
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, GreasyFingers said:

3. Should include everything including 11 months Class 1 insurance.

Forgot about this one

Also be very carful about getting the immigration proof of residency if the car is going in your name

It is only good for I think 1 mth

I was in the process of buying new car but delivery was delayed & had to do several times at 500 bht a pop

• Like 1

When buying new, the main dealer is a far better option (IMO) you will receive insurance and a warranty. 

You may not receive the Warranty if buying new from private car lots.

If buying ’nearly new’ (i.e. 1 year or 2 years old) from a private car lot, or even a private sale check that that manufactures warranty passes on to the next owner (it usually does).  

2. Are prices listed at the dealer fixed or can you negotiate a discount? In initial visit they showed me a printed price list and it seemed final but I didn't explore it at that point.

Negotiation with a main dealer is difficult unless the car is approaching the end of its model cycle and they want to offload stock. You may usually receive extra which you can negotiate for (mats, film etc). 

Once you know your model it may be worth popping to a few dealers and seeing what they may offer. 

Registration and tax is usually on top of the purchase price. Additionally, you may be charged a ‘deposit’ for red plates (which you have to remind the dealer to pay back when you get white plates). 

The dealer will facilitate the registration.

4.  Do dealers accept trade ins later? This is usual in the US and many people who don't want repair hassles buy new cars every 5 years or so each time turning in the old towards the price of the new. But as the dealership doesn't seem to sell other than new cars I am not sure this system applies in Thailand?

Most dealers will accept trade in’s, any who do Will rip you off - its their objective to make profit and this is one area they will gouge you. You will get the most price for your car by placing your existing car up for private sale - you can find the value of your car by looking at similar models on one2car.com.

A brand new car depreciates massively as soon as it's purchased. The best deals could be in purchasing a nearly new car 1-2 years old which still has warranty etc for a decent saving. 

If a nearly new car still has a warranty you have little to worry about. In purchasing a ’nearly new car’ you could agree with the owner to have it inspected at a dealership before agreeing to purchase. 

Any pitfalls buying new? Not at all really, other than price, you get what you pay for with a new car, you are buying piece of mind. Note: Ford has a notoriously poor customer service record. 

Thus: it may be wise to find out what people are saying about their dealership and go to one where friends have had good experiences. 

Firstly: Chose your Budget, the models which fits your budget - then start googling away at the dealership websites.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Why?

because "Advice on buying a new car in Thailand"

Just go to dealers in your area and look at the sort of vehicle you think you need, buying new "the world is your oyster".

Personally in Thailand out in the country my choice would be a smartcab pick-up truck.

So Toyota, Nissan, Ford, Isuzu, Mazda, up to you what appeals to you.

Wanna car I'd stick with Toyota or Honda. 

5 hours ago, Sheryl said:

. Any pros and cons to buying from the dealer (manufacturer e.g. Honda) as opposed to private car lots? 

Not sure if any private car lots sell new cars.  

It is almost tight but can be negotiated a few thousand bahts or may be some extras

Includes everything including one year first class insurance.

When my GF bought her new car, the dealer (MG) was willing to make a trade for her Toyota Vios. However, my GF sold it to another private car lot for 10K more.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Mulambana said:

If you are buying new, then buy from dealer only.

It is almost tight but can be negotiated a few thousand bahts or may be some extras.

The car sales people have a certain amount of leeway on what they can offer. If the first Class Insurance is offered take it. Then they can give you some (up to your negotiating skills) extras and accessories. Just look through the catalog and tell them what you want. You'll always come up with a good compromise.

I would say right now with car sales really low, you may get some discounts even.

When my GF bought her new car, the dealer (MG) was willing to make a trade for her Toyota Vios. However, my GF sold it to another private car lot for 10K more.

Some dealers have resale lots on the premises, but most don't. They will call a tent company to come and give you a price (which of course you can negotiate best you can) and if you accept, then that price is taken off the total sale price of the car. You can also keep using the car up to the day of your new car being ready--straight swap. Selling privately is probably better for price, but it might be hard to find buyers these days.

Hope this helps you.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mulambana said:

It is almost tight but can be negotiated a few thousand bahts or may be some extras

MG...............????

Well Mrs.,

Unless you have someone at hand to do the "investigating/mechanical questions" for you, I would use only a main dealer to buy and use their service facilities during waranty in case of a future problem, their service record will be in the service book.

I would suggest Toyota or Honda, I like Honda stuff (though we have a Suzuki). Let the dealer see your face a couple of times, don't dive in head first, just ask questions. The sales staff will no doubt remember your face. I am not one of those "freebies" type, cheap add-ons don't interest me, only a ride I like and its mechanical longevity. Though first year insurance should be offered..

What model ride are you considering, manual or auto (CVT)...?

• Like 1

I am also in the market to buy a new car. I would prefer a small car mostly for city driving (Pattaya/Bangkok). I have narrowed down to a three - Yarris, Vios, Almera.  Vios is the most popular in Thailand and holds up its value for a longtime. One can drive Yarrs/Vios for 200K KMs and still be able to sell at a reasoanble reslae value. Entry level Yarris and Vios are 529K and 609K, respectively and Almera is 559K. 

Edited by Mulambana
  • Like 1

The last 2 cars I have brought new have been Honda's---I gave up on Udon Thani both times and spent 2 days in BKK. It wasn't a great time to get a discount--- so I found ( as has been mentioned) that they didnt drop on the price--so  I would take the freebies (Add on's) So the main expensive things I went for

1/ I got 1 year insurance with Honda free....Saved about 30,000, (Had one small accident--they were good and fixed it).....

2/ I had the car Armour coated, the top of the range was expensive takes them 2 days to put several clear coats of whatever ---in 7 years on roads up in Issan driving behind sugar cane trucks with no mud flaps etc I haven't had a chip in the bonnet. its really worth it--as your paint also doesn't fade. 7 years ago that was 40,000Baht  Guarantee 5 years. (yes there were much cheaper ones around--doing a much cheaper looking job  https://www.armorcoatusa.com/ This was not the company I used --can not remember the name I just put the link for info.

With that one I got a 50% discount---could have had it free with a lessor protection. Tinted windows free, There are all sorts of tint, look it up to get the quality ones that cut down the UV without being to dark, some have the manufactures name printed on them, that's a no obviously. (but you have to tell them) If I had lived in BKK I could have done a deal with the first 3 services. 

You must of course make sure you are getting the current years make....(the log book will always say year-2563)  but the VIN number will tell you when actually made. They have a posting on TV https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/290510-how-read-this-vin-number-mncls32885w408738/

each manufacturer will have his own site about where the Vin is (on the inside of the door etc)

Also  try to find out when the minor changes are made to the new car---its usually in August, they might alter the door handles / mirrors etc....small changes if they are keeping  the same model--but ones that will identify it as being the latter model of that year.

There are many add ons that you can get to buy--go onto the Honda site (if that's what your buying) pick all the ones that will be useful to you....and that's what you want to aim for your freebies.

Petrol consumption--- I have a Honda Accord ---big car but it takes E85--the cheapest fuel you can buy. E85= 85% Ethanol-15% petrol) at the moment it is 18 baht a liter, I fill the tank up for about 900 Baht & I can drive non stop to BKK from Udon Thani----that's not an exaggeration, & I do drive fast. Many of the smaller Honda cars are now E20---E40...and their new range of scooters are taking the Ethanol also. 

If its a Honda you are looking at--then as well as the main dealers there are independent dealers in just Honda cars, I brought from one in Phaya Thai,  Wong motors.

Good luck on whatever model you buy (don't take a Nissan obviously) If you are buying a Japanese car....don't forget to look up the Japanese sites........see what extras they have also.

Edited by sanuk711
  • Like 2

Don't know where you live, but found dealers from Bangkok are more likely to 'deal' than those outside. It is possible to get discounts, but more likely to get add ons such as insurance etc. One truck I bought they added bars on the front and a roll bar on the back. Even upgraded the sound system for me.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

A brand new car depreciates massively as soon as it's purchased. The best deals could be in purchasing a nearly new car 1-2 years old which still has warranty etc for a decent saving. 

If a nearly new car still has a warranty you have little to worry about. In purchasing a ’nearly new car’ you could agree with the owner to have it inspected at a dealership before agreeing to purchase. 

A

Sorry buddy, would have to strongly disagree with you there. If you are selling then yes they do depreciate quick. But buying, second hand prices in this country are just ridiculously high, Chances they have been maintained properly are 50/50. No such thing as maintenance here, they just wait for things to break then fix them . As long as you are not selling your car immediately the drop in price over time is much less, because of the expensive second hand market. If you are buying for the longterm and have the cash, buy new from a Honda/Toyota/etc dealer.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sanuk711 said:

The last 2 cars I have brought new have been Honda's---I gave up on Udon Thani both times and spent 2 days in BKK. It wasn't a great time to get a discount--- so I found ( as has been mentioned) that they didnt drop on the price--so  I would take the freebies (Add on's) So the main expensive things I went for

1/ I got 1 year insurance with Honda free....Saved about 30,000, (Had one small accident--they were good and fixed it).....

2/ I had the car Armour coated, the top of the range was expensive takes them 2 days to put several clear coats of whatever ---in 7 years on roads up in Issan driving behind sugar cane trucks with no mud flaps etc I haven't had a chip in the bonnet. its really worth it--as your paint also doesn't fade. 7 years ago that was 40,000Baht  Guarantee 5 years. (yes there were much cheaper ones around--doing a much cheaper looking job  https://www.armorcoatusa.com/ This was not the company I used --can not remember the name I just put the link for info.

With that one I got a 50% discount---could have had it free with a lessor protection. Tinted windows free, There are all sorts of tint, look it up to get the quality ones that cut down the UV without being to dark, some have the manufactures name printed on them, that's a no obviously. (but you have to tell them) If I had lived in BKK I could have done a deal with the first 3 services. 

You must of course make sure you are getting the current years make....(the log book will always say year-2563)  but the VIN number will tell you when actually made. They have a posting on TV https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/290510-how-read-this-vin-number-mncls32885w408738/

each manufacturer will have his own site about where the Vin is (on the inside of the door etc)

Also  try to find out when the minor changes are made to the new car---its usually in August, they might alter the door handles / mirrors etc....small changes if they are keeping  the same model--but ones that will identify it as being the latter model of that year.

There are many add ons that you can get to buy--go onto the Honda site (if that's what your buying) pick all the ones that will be useful to you....and that's what you want to aim for your freebies.

Petrol consumption--- I have a Honda Accord ---big car but it takes E85--the cheapest fuel you can buy. E85= 85% Ethanol-15% petrol) at the moment it is 18 baht a liter, I fill the tank up for about 900 Baht & I can drive non stop to BKK from Udon Thani----that's not an exaggeration, & I do drive fast. Many of the smaller Honda cars are now E20---E40...and their new range of scooters are taking the Ethanol also. 

If its a Honda you are looking at--then as well as the main dealers there are independent dealers in just Honda cars, I brought from one in Phaya Thai,  Wong motors.

Good luck on whatever model you buy (don't take a Nissan obviously) If you are buying a Japanese car....don't forget to look up the Japanese sites........see what extras they have also.

Thanks! 2 questions:

1. Did you get the armour coating as a freebie from the dealer or have it done at added expense? I live in a rural atea and het lots of scratches from brambles etc so like the sound od this.

2. Why only the current year? I sm thinking to get a 2019 make. ??

4 hours ago, transam said:

Well Mrs.,

Unless you have someone at hand to do the "investigating/mechanical questions" for you, I would use only a main dealer to buy and use their service facilities during waranty in case of a future problem, their service record will be in the service book.

I would suggest Toyota or Honda, I like Honda stuff (though we have a Suzuki). Let the dealer see your face a couple of times, don't dive in head first, just ask questions. The sales staff will no doubt remember your face. I am not one of those "freebies" type, cheap add-ons don't interest me, only a ride I like and its mechanical longevity. Though first year insurance should be offered..

What model ride are you considering, manual or auto (CVT)...?

Honda Jazz. Manual.

First choice was City but dealer claims no kanuals left in stock (anywhere mot just on the lit...the Jazz manual they will have to order in). The person I dealt with seemed pretty well versed in what was and was not still in stock.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, BEVUP said:

Forgot about this one

Also be very carful about getting the immigration proof of residency if the car is going in your name

It is only good for I think 1 mth

I was in the process of buying new car but delivery was delayed & had to do several times at 500 bht a pop

I have both yellow tabian ban and pink ID card so should not be an issue.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Honda Jazz. Manual.

First choice was City but dealer claims no kanuals left in stock (anywhere mot just on the lit...the Jazz manual they will have to order in). The person I dealt with seemed pretty well versed in what was and was not still in stock.

My d-in-law has a 12 year old manual Jazz, 140kkm, the clutch is playing up for the first time....????

She intends to buy a new one, but with CVT soon...????....

My weeee Suzuki has CVT, its a real blast to fly around in...