BANGKOK
Sheryl

Advice on buying a new car in Thailand

After a lifetime of only ever buying and driving used cars I've decided I'm getting too old for dealing with breakdowns aling the highway and other headaches and decided to for the first time buy a new cat.

I know what I want to het and will be buying cash upfront not on payments. BZefore I proceed, having never done it, I'd like to get better informed. Specifically:

1. Any pros and cons to buying from the dealer (manufacturer e.g. Honda) as opposed to private car lots? 

2. Are prices listed at the dealer fixed or can you negotiate a discount? In initial visit they showed me a printed price list and it seemed final but I didn't explore it at that point.

3. Does the purchase price include tax and registration fee or is that usually additional? I assume they will facilitate the registration as used care places do.

4.  Do dealers accept trade ins later? This is usual in the US and many people who don't want repair hassles buy new cars every 5 years or so each time turning in the old towards the price of the new. But as the dealership doesn't seem to sell other than new cars I am not sure this system applies in Thailand?

5. Any other peculiarities  or pitfalls to be aware of?

Thanks in advance.!

1 - No, my experiences have all been good 

2 - They may but unlikely - GO for as many extras yu can get including services

3 - I'm sure additional along with a small charge for the RED plates which restricts driving at night & provinces

4 - maybe depending on Dealer & vehicle - I'm about to resell back to Toyota Korat with 1 yr still remaining on their Finance 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

1. Any pros and cons to buying from the dealer (manufacturer e.g. Honda) as opposed to private car lots? 

2. Are prices listed at the dealer fixed or can you negotiate a discount? In initial visit they showed me a printed price list and it seemed final but I didn't explore it at that point.

3. Does the purchase price include tax and registration fee or is that usually additional? I assume they will facilitate the registration as used care places do.

1. Should not be a problem with any dealer. What private car lots sell new cars?

2. No they are not fixed, open to negotiation even though they will be careful how they approach it.

3. Should include everything including 11 months Class 1 insurance.

Paying cash is not a big advantage here as the salesman gets a good commission on any financing. As said above play each dealer against the other. We had the same company in different towns competing against each other with each offering different incentives.

• Like 2

Buy from the dealer is the safest bet.

I sent my Thai manager to the dealership to make a cash deal on (2) Brand New Trucks, one for me and one I gifted him.

He went to the dealership, made the deal, some how avoided going through the red plate scenario and arrived at my office with a large bow still on the hood and it was already registered with a Thai license plate.

The trucks on the lot were not the exact configurations we asked for, and I think it took about 2 weeks to get them into the dealership. Maybe that wait was how they got through the red plate, however, it could have been other personal connections?

He got a good deal from paying cash for (2) much less than the advertised price and they threw in free oil changes and routine maintenance. I think is was for 24 months.

The dealer, you know you are getting a brand new vehicle with warranty. Not so sure about those side of the road sellers.

At no time did I appear at the dealership, so as far as they knew, this was solely a Thai purchase.

Maybe had a farang shown up, there would have been no deal.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Finding it hard you have asked and posted this.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Kwasaki said:

Finding it hard you have asked and posted this.

Why?

• Like 1

Forgot to mention to be careful of delivery times if the car you want is not on the lot. The dealers here do not seem to be the same as at home where they can look at which franchise has what car and can deal with them. When we were buying some of the delivery times were up to 3 months if you wanted something that was not on the lot.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

When we got our son a car ,we went back and for to the dealer ,humming and harring ,every time they offered another "extra" till in the end we got the lot ,then bought it🙂

now he has a new car and i still drive my old one ,where did i go wrong .?😀

Edited by bert bloggs
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, GreasyFingers said:

3. Should include everything including 11 months Class 1 insurance.

Forgot about this one

Also be very carful about getting the immigration proof of residency if the car is going in your name

It is only good for I think 1 mth

I was in the process of buying new car but delivery was delayed & had to do several times at 500 bht a pop

• Like 1

When buying new, the main dealer is a far better option (IMO) you will receive insurance and a warranty. 

You may not receive the Warranty if buying new from private car lots.

If buying ’nearly new’ (i.e. 1 year or 2 years old) from a private car lot, or even a private sale check that that manufactures warranty passes on to the next owner (it usually does).  

2. Are prices listed at the dealer fixed or can you negotiate a discount? In initial visit they showed me a printed price list and it seemed final but I didn't explore it at that point.

Negotiation with a main dealer is difficult unless the car is approaching the end of its model cycle and they want to offload stock. You may usually receive extra which you can negotiate for (mats, film etc). 

Once you know your model it may be worth popping to a few dealers and seeing what they may offer. 

Registration and tax is usually on top of the purchase price. Additionally, you may be charged a ‘deposit’ for red plates (which you have to remind the dealer to pay back when you get white plates). 

The dealer will facilitate the registration.

4.  Do dealers accept trade ins later? This is usual in the US and many people who don't want repair hassles buy new cars every 5 years or so each time turning in the old towards the price of the new. But as the dealership doesn't seem to sell other than new cars I am not sure this system applies in Thailand?

Most dealers will accept trade in’s, any who do Will rip you off - its their objective to make profit and this is one area they will gouge you. You will get the most price for your car by placing your existing car up for private sale - you can find the value of your car by looking at similar models on one2car.com.

5. Any other peculiarities  or pitfalls to be aware of?

A brand new car depreciates massively as soon as it's purchased. The best deals could be in purchasing a nearly new car 1-2 years old which still has warranty etc for a decent saving. 

If a nearly new car still has a warranty you have little to worry about. In purchasing a ’nearly new car’ you could agree with the owner to have it inspected at a dealership before agreeing to purchase. 

Any pitfalls buying new? Not at all really, other than price, you get what you pay for with a new car, you are buying piece of mind. Note: Ford has a notoriously poor customer service record. 

Thus: it may be wise to find out what people are saying about their dealership and go to one where friends have had good experiences. 

Firstly: Chose your Budget, the models which fits your budget - then start googling away at the dealership websites.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Why?

because "Advice on buying a new car in Thailand"

Just go to dealers in your area and look at the sort of vehicle you think you need, buying new "the world is your oyster".

Personally in Thailand out in the country my choice would be a smartcab pick-up truck.

So Toyota, Nissan, Ford, Isuzu, Mazda, up to you what appeals to you.

Wanna car I'd stick with Toyota or Honda.