Advice on buying a new car in Thailand

Sheryl

4 hours ago, Sheryl said:

1. Did you get the armour coating as a freebie from the dealer or have it done at added expense? I live in a rural atea and het lots of scratches from brambles etc so like the sound od this.

2. Why only the current year? I sm thinking to get a 2019 make. ??

1/ I got 50% off on the Armour coating---I could have got as a freebie if i had taken a lessor coating--There was also a guarantee that if you had a crash,,, then they would replace the coating for that part free--Obviously after they resprayed that part of the car Armour wouldn't be there. I done it through the dealer----he must have dropped his mark up---do everything through the dealer you can, if there is a problem--your in a stronger position going back to the dealer, the Sub contractors wont argue with the company that gives them a lot of their work.

2/  New -but old..but not 2nd hand? Just sitting in the show room--I guess if the discount is big enough.  Look at the different prices on your choice of car between... 2017---2018----the % difference on those two cars is what you should be looking for % wise on a 2019---against the price 2020

• Like 2

There should be some good deals for new 2019 models out there.. 1st year insurance included on the Honda City we bought last year.. Nice car love it.. As above get prices play one dealer off against another.. stick to the dealerships.. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, pineapple01 said:

Honda do their own paint coating. Its 14K for an Accord and re coated every 3 Years include.Brilliant shine it is too, takes a full day to do. If Mrs got it included i dont know. 

What is this called in Thai? (no English spoken at my local dealership)

Here is Thailand!  Two years ago I purchased my 3rd vehicle the first two times I pretty much left it to the wife since the timing wasn't right for me to be here plus I didn't have the time to test the theory that you couldn't get much off?

I also go with Toyota, although right now all brands are hurting due to the virus you might be able to get a good deal if you work at it?

As you noted, they give you a price list and point at it, then do the break down and they list bunch of stuff like door guards, tinted windows, floor mats, along with the free 1 year insurance that is pretty standard to get these days, retail that insurance is worth 20-25,000 per year but of course that isn't what the dealership is going to pay.  On insurance when you year is nearly up shop around the dealership will be sending you notices to renewal if you have shopped around the price the dealership gives you will be around 2,000 baht higher that is their cut for getting you to renewal.

I will use the purchase of my truck as a example. The price they pointed was 899,000 noted this included door guards, window tint and guard, side floor boards, rear bed liners, floor mats, leather interior, and one year insurance. Not in a hurry I went to the Bangkok car show and although many said buying in Bangkok you get a better deal I didn't find that to be in my case. Several months thereafter I continue to visit other Toyota showroom in the Chon Buri area and found every other dealership pretty much the same.

Then one day nearly giving up thinking you aren't going to get anything off even my wife was saying it I happen to see a dealership went in ask the same questions etc. etc. they wrote down the same price and I wave my hand down basically saying lower they looked at each other and wrote down 865,000 I double checked with them they even wrote it down on their stationary.

I went to my original dealership a week later and told him to do better to my surprise he wrote down 863,00 that included all the registration and taxes they said only if I gave them 50,000 in cash and 818,000 in a check their creative accounting I found out the cash was for him and the dealership? When I got the book 2 months later I got 5000 baht back can't remember exactly but told for the registration?

With my story and the Virus majority of brands are given dealership deals so timing is right?  You might want to Google and see what Honda might be offering to the dealership? I stay away from independents for new cars that is my personal choice as for taking in your trade say nothing until your new one is final. If you are looking at a Honda Jazz I found it to be a bit overprice compare to the Toyota Yaris.

Good luck enjoy your purchase.

Edited by thailand49
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Sheryl said:

What is this called in Thai? (no English spoken at my local dealership)

It is your decision and others I would forego the coating? they have a lot of names for these coatings?  In the States when I purchased my Toyota Tuntra it was called something like Poly Glidcoat? they provided a warranty but if you park your vehicle in the sun it seem like as soon as the warranty is up the paint starts fade. My brother who is also here in Thailand got a Jazz he got the coating before he got his bigger house park outside all day all night you should see it now no shine whatsoever it is flat black and white.????

• Sad 1

On 6/10/2020 at 9:01 PM, Kwasaki said:

Finding it hard you have asked and posted this.

On 6/10/2020 at 9:03 PM, Sheryl said:

Why?

Because you should have re-read what you had typed BEFORE clicking the GO button.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

It is your decision and others I would forego the coating? they have a lot of names for these coatings?  In the States when I purchased my Toyota Tuntra it was called something like Poly Glidcoat? they provided a warranty but if you park your vehicle in the sun it seem like as soon as the warranty is up the paint starts fade. My brother who is also here in Thailand got a Jazz he got the coating before he got his bigger house park outside all day all night you should see it now no shine whatsoever it is flat black and white.????

Quite So, if You cant afford it dont risk it, covertly bash it.

You should be able to register the car yourself...it will save you some money. Honda wanted 5K when my wife bought. You just ask Honda for the paperwork and take it to the LTO. You might have to ask a few times!!

Don't waste your money on any paint coating, Honda wanted to sell her something that they do every few months, same with extra under body sealing.sealing. Or any frabic coating.

And certainly don't believe any hype that a ceramic coating doesn't need maintenance every three months! I have coated several of the cars we have had ..also a friend owns a detailing business and that came from him!

Be careful with the standard 'rubbish' that they offer for window film ... find out the allowance and then ask for  that money off and go sort your own out.

If you want an english manual get it stated in the 'offers' as she did.. Honda garage kept stalling on giving her it until  we wrote to Honda TH and it came in a few days. 

Check very carefully that what extras the seller offers are stated on the order sheet.  Our seller tried to pull a fast one...she failed

Just remember that the seller is not your friend!!!!!

• Like 2

The pros of buying from a dealer.  1st year of Class A insurance is often provided for free.  Sometime you can get free scheduled maintenance too.

The prices are not fixed but they usually don't go down very much.  It will be easier to get options added on for free ask for as many as you want.

The registration cost is added on to the total price.

They will accept trade ins but don't like too.  You see those Toyota Sure used car lots.  If they take a trade it will be a low offer.  It's better to sell it yourself if you can.  If your car is old or not in good shape I doubt they would take it.

• Like 1

On 6/10/2020 at 10:05 AM, Airalee said:

Did you finally acquiesce to getting an automatic civic vs a manual?

Big mistake.  Most automatic Thai cars are really CVT transmissions.  It's tech that wears out fast.  Get a manual Honda or Toyota if you can find one these days.  They are bullet proof.  The new vehicles are heavily taxed based upon passenger capacity and engine size so in order to get the most bang for your buck, buy a single cab manual pick up if you don't need to squire around the entire extended family.  Be sure to negotiate a full tank of gas, too, because the Honda dealer I bought my car from didn't automatically include it and the low fuel light popping on when I drove off the lot ruined the happy new car moment for me completely.  Suggest you avoid all but Honda, Isuzu, and Toyota.  Chevy is pulling out of Thailand.  Mitsubishi has a rep for problems, MGs are filling up the used car lots, for some reason, and Nissan cvts are the worst.  Ford is ok if you want a high end pick up but you will pay through the nose.  If I was going to buy again I would get a base model Isuzu or Toyota pickup, or a manual Honda City or Jazz.

Manual transmission is bullet proof and clutches like brakes are relatively cheap to replace compared to replacing a failed cvt at 100k or just after warranty expires. Btw, I got a cash discount, tint and trim package, and some other Honda stuff.  I also went back and called them out for the empty gas tank for which labor I was provided a 1000 baht gas card.  

• Like 1

just a side note: My first car here was a Toyota Altis - - if you look at the taxis in Bkk most are Altis... and it was a good car and I was quite surprised how well it retained its value, I assume because it will be used as a taxi after I sold it.. 

• Like 2

I bought new Toyota Yaris Altiv from Toyota Dealer in Pattaya, December 2018. After negotiating they gave me discount of THB 35000 plus free registration and red car fees were refunded but I had to buy my car insurance separately. So it depends upon dealer and currently under COVID19 all dealers are hungry to do business so you will get good deal.

• Like 1

I’ve purchased 3 cars in my almost 20 years living in Thailand.  Price is almost non negotiable.....the dealerships are price fixed as they know if they all stick together they will win in the end. But....other things such as insurance, maintenance, and options are negotiable.......go to several dealerships to get the best of these.....financing is possible with 30% down.....Ford is the only company that I’m aware of that does not require a Thai co-signer if you put the 30% down......my advice is to pick a dealership close to you that offers service......if you don’t do the Dealership service your warranty could be void.    It’s awful traveling 1 hour each way to get the car serviced.....best to pick one close to you.....

Edited by shinawhat
  • Like 2

Some good advice on hear Sheryl. 

Dealerships are your best option. Many rival dealerships about. Buyers market so do use your paying cash power for a good discount, plenty of freebies that they will throw in if asked. Make sure you also get a good on-going discount for servicing, replacement parts etc. You might twist their arm to get a years free full cover insurance etc too.

IME they normally charge a deposit for the red plates which you get back when the registration is completed. The dealers will help sort that. But people here have a propensity for buying their number plates based on numbers considered auspicious or prestigious. Some can be very expensive! Depends how bothered you are.

Finally, if it was me, I'd narrow down the makes and models and then concentrate on a few options. 

The next Motor Show in BKK is scheduled for Mid July. I know your're located in the North. Any motor shows there? Reason I ask is you get very very good deals at motor shows. And they'll be even keener this year.

On 6/10/2020 at 6:00 PM, Sheryl said:

1. Any pros and cons to buying from the dealer (manufacturer e.g. Honda) as opposed to private car lots? 

2. Are prices listed at the dealer fixed or can you negotiate a discount? In initial visit they showed me a printed price list and it seemed final but I didn't explore it at that point.

3. Does the purchase price include tax and registration fee or is that usually additional? I assume they will facilitate the registration as used care places do.

4.  Do dealers accept trade ins later? This is usual in the US and many people who don't want repair hassles buy new cars every 5 years or so each time turning in the old towards the price of the new. But as the dealership doesn't seem to sell other than new cars I am not sure this system applies in Thailand?

Mostly the information under is correct. Just a few additional points. We have just bought a car 817km ago.

1) you can’t by a new car from a private lot. If it’s on a private lot then by definition it’s not new whatever the kilometres on it.

2) there is slight room for negotiation. More if you are trading in a used vehicle and don’t want the bother of a private sale.

2a) once you know exactly what model and specification you want go to the showroom and ask if they have it in stock you will get the best possible price on a model and colour that they have.

we decided on a Mazda 2 as the tech in it is better than the competition.
Honda used to be excellent but haven’t done anything in the last 10 years.

Toyota is also way behind.

Chevrolet is pulling out of Thailand so that’s where the huge discounts are coming from  so don’t buy one.

Nissan has the new Almera that is worth a look.

• Like 1

1. I’d go to a main dealer. They appear better organised. Not sure how recall notices if any get to you if you don’t use a main dealer.

2. Generally the prices are fixed in my experience, but depending on how close they are to a model change you might have some room for manoeuvre, but if no discount they will sweeten the deal with some free extras such as free insurance for a year, protective wax coating, sun film, and free service labour for first couple of services.

3. The dealer will take care of all of the administration and tax etc. Can’t recall if I’d been charged for road tax but it’s only a couple of thousand Baht.

4. Yes, they do trade ins. They just call a guy who Comes into the dealership, looks at the car, history and paperwork and then gives you / the dealer a price. Dealer will take care of the paperwork again. Drop the old car off when you take delivery of new one.

5. worth asking them about extended warranty options. Might be able to get a warranty extension for a fairly low rate comparatively.

• Like 1

I would go for something new Sheryl ,automatic,1.4-1.6 (pocket rocket) cheap for gas etc.

The 2nd hand market here wants big prices.mind you ,there are some gems to be had out there,

get a good local mechanic to come with you to view ( if 2nd hand) ????

8 hours ago, shinawhat said:

I’ve purchased 3 cars in my almost 20 years living in Thailand.  Price is almost non negotiable.....the dealerships are price fixed as they know if they all stick together they will win in the end.

I,ve bought 2 cars in the past 6 years (Nissans) and got a substantial discount for cash on both plus free ins/film/mats etc.....

• Like 1

when we bought the new Nissan we got 12 months 1st class insurance, a tank of fuel, 3 years free servicing , a heap of extras and a big discount, their trade in offer was below what I wanted but we pushed all the extras in to make it up, you have to play hard ball with them at times, first new car(toyota) we got we also got a heap of extras as well tossed in

OK we seem to have consensus around most things.

Except the coating. Some are saying it is good and helos prevent scratches, others are saying it wears off quickly and not worth it.

I am not sure if we are all talking about the same type of coating?

I couldn't care less about shine. My possible interest in coating is solely to prevent chips and scratches. Especially since paint jobs here are so expensive and for some reason they refuse to do an isolated area.

So  If it won't do that, or if it is going to require repeat coatings every few months I am not intetested. But if it will last at least a few years and reduce chips and scratches then I very much am.