Re-entry on already expired visa June 2020

I saw this post from Richard Barrow concerning re-entry on an already expired visa, which might be of interest for some...

Some good news for those people abroad whose “visa” has already expired. There has already been a documented example of someone coming back with an expired “visa”. Her re-entry permit expired on 16 April. She arrived back in Thailand on 9 June. They stamped “admitted until 16 April”. Meaning she is on visa amnesty now. I’m presuming she will be able to extend her stay now based on her original marriage visa. However, i am not sure what happens if your work permit has expired.

But, two important things. If she had expired before 26 March she probably wouldn’t have been allowed back in. Secondly, she can stay until the amnesty ends on 31 July or longer if she can extend her stay based on her marriage to a Thai national.

102387898_4505902606090238_6451599288874

Link to Richard Barrow's post on Facebook here.

• Like 1

Very just, and quite surprising.

Although the returnee was on a retirement extension, presumably the return must have been granted on compassionate grounds (woman returning to be with her Thai child, perhaps).

It does provide evidence for something I have believed from the beginning: the amnesty until July 31st is a grace period. You can apply for extensions to permissions to stay that expired after March 26th any time up until July 31st, but the extension will run from the expiry date of your permission to stay. We will see if immigration offices (in general) agree with the interpretation of the officials at the airport. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Upnotover said:

Interesting that, wonder where she arrived from and on what?  Would have had to be a repatriation flight.  Vietnamese passport, maybe they are testing the travel bubble.

Yes, a Vietnamese passport, from what I see.

53 minutes ago, Maestro said:

A marriage extension according to the quoted text in the OP.

I was basing my assumption that it was a retirement extension based on Non-RE on the entry stamp. However, on reflection, the 'RE' might be "reentry" rather than "retirement".

Not sure the arrival stamp is really valid since the admitted until date is before the arrival date.

image.png.abb102a701df4190bc6431a27be8e052.png

It certainly does not mean the extension is still valid. No sure what a immigration office will say if the person goes in to do something.

58 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Not sure the arrival stamp is really valid since the admitted until date is before the arrival date.

image.png.abb102a701df4190bc6431a27be8e052.png

It certainly does not mean the extension is still valid. No sure what a immigration office will say if the person goes in to do something.

I disagree with your analysis. Those legally in Thailand with a permission to stay expiring on or after 26 March qualify for the amnesty. While (as I have said before) I believe this is a grace period until 31st July, not an actual extension of the permission to stay, I do not see a permission to stay until 16 April as a problem. The reentry permit is supposed to have the effect that your exit and reentry has no impact on the expiry of your permission to stay The important point is the expiry date of the permission to stay, not the date on which entry to Thailand was made (whether years before or after the expiry of the permission to stay)..

That said, I make no predictions on whether some or all immigration offices will accept a late application for a one year extension to the permission to stay (until 16 April 2021) as I believe was intended.

19 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Those legally in Thailand with a permission to stay expiring on or after 26 March qualify for the amnesty.

They were not in the country after March 26th.

They must of entered on a repatriation flight so that might be whey they were stamped in as a special case.

37 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

They were not in the country after March 26th.

They must of entered on a repatriation flight so that might be whey they were stamped in as a special case.

I appreciate that. However, the entry and exit using a reentry permit is supposed to create a situation where the period outside Thailand has no relevance. The arrival back in Thailand before expiry of the grace period gives her the opportunity to apply for the desired extension of stay. I am actually surprised that Thai immigration made this analysis as it shows a degree of logic for which they are not usually renowned.

• Like 1

This is quite mind blowing, an arrival stamp with a permitted to stay date in the past. It does seem sensible along the lines of what some posters have written though. Good on them for being surprisingly pragmatic! Let's see if there will be more reports / consistency.

My extension of stay expires next week I plan to go to my IO and renew it however the issue I have my wife is stuck in the U.K. due to the cancellation of all flights back to Thailand as my dependent her re entry ticket will expire next week yet no one can tell me what will happen when she eventually returns her flight for July has now been cancelled this is the 3rd cancelled flight on top of this she says it is impossible to get an insurance policy that has written into it that you are covered for the Covet 19 should you get it she also tells me that it’s impossible to get a medical certificate stating that your free of the virus . Can you imagine all those people who will have to do border runs when the flood gates open and not being allowed back into Thailand if they have not got the new policy requirements they’ll be stuck in no mans land.      

44 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

My extension of stay expires next week I plan to go to my IO and renew it however the issue I have my wife is stuck in the U.K. due to the cancellation of all flights back to Thailand as my dependent her re entry ticket will expire next week yet no one can tell me what will happen when she eventually returns her flight for July has now been cancelled this is the 3rd cancelled flight on top of this she says it is impossible to get an insurance policy that has written into it that you are covered for the Covet 19 should you get it she also tells me that it’s impossible to get a medical certificate stating that your free of the virus . Can you imagine all those people who will have to do border runs when the flood gates open and not being allowed back into Thailand if they have not got the new policy requirements they’ll be stuck in no mans land.      

From memory your wife is flying BA, well all BA flights to Thailand are cancelled until August and even then they may cancel again. If your wife has an existing UK insurancy policy she will be covered by the Medical and Emergency cover this has already been confirmed by insurers. She she is trying to take out a new policy then she cannot until the UK government advice on travel to other countries changes.

18 hours ago, Upnotover said:

Interesting that, wonder where she arrived from and on what?  Would have had to be a repatriation flight.  Vietnamese passport, maybe they are testing the travel bubble.

Repatriation flights are for Thai nationals. It can only be for a person with a business visa and wp. 

14 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

Repatriation flights are for Thai nationals. It can only be for a person with a business visa and wp. 

Any flight with passengers on it are repatriation flights. Those that are not Thai and qualify can be on them as well.