Bangkok up five places to 35th most expensive city in the world for foreigners

webfact

Bangkok up five places to 35th most expensive city in the world for foreigners

6pm1.jpg

Image: Bangkok Biz News

Bangkok Biz News reported on a survey conducted by financial analysts Mercer who looked at 209 countries worldwide in relation to expense for foreigners.

Bangkok went from 40th place last year to 35th most expensive this year. 

Six Asian cities were in the top ten and three were in Switzerland. 

Top place for the third year in a row went to Hong Kong that was followed by Ashgabat, the capital of Turkmenistan, that passed Tokyo in third. 

Swiss cities Zurich, Bern and Geneva came in 4th, 8th and 9th respectively.

New York went from ninth to sixth in the rankings. 

Singapore was 7th with Chinese mega-cites Shanghai and Beijing in 7th and 10th. 

London went up four places to 19th and Paris dropped three from 47th to 50th.

Mercer reckoned that Tunis, the capital of Tunisia, was the cheapest for foreigners. 

Source: Bangkok Biz News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-06-11

13 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Rubbish news, Mercer is an index for COMPANIES sending their employes to foreign countries.

Not much to do with normal expats just staying here that don't work for multinationals.

Why not? What is the difference?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Oldie said:

There are expats working for multinationals who rent an expensive condo in the city center, send their children to international schools, and do their shopping for food at Tesco. And there are normal expats who do not do things like that. They live cheap.

But to be part of the first group you really have to work for a company that sent you to BKK to work here. And not a normal company, it must be a multinational.

Do you now understand? ????

Edited by dimitriv
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

Right, they only take into account the same goods you purchase in the employes homecountry etc. 

Normal expats here with thai family just eat thai food, send their kids who have a thai passport to a thai school that isn't english only, get a house in a thai neighbourhood, use thai health insurance etc.

Pensioners and beach bums like me who don't have kids don't have any of the international school costs that is the biggest part of mercers index.... 

The weighting is just so completely different for most people that these indexes don't make any sense to look at. 

Paris is supposed to be cheaper than Bangkok according to them, yeah... not for normal people, no way. You can't drink enough red wine to make up for the rental property costs in paris alone. Not to mention many expats here live a tax free life as they earn money outside of Thailand...

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_cities.jsp?country1=France&city1=Paris&country2=Thailand&city2=Bangkok

Pick the numbers that are your biggest expense from a site like numbeo and compare yourself, for me that would be 

1) House/Rental costs

2) Food

3) Taxes

4) Utilities

5) Transportation/Taxis - i can totally life without a car here, taxis are dirt cheap... 

The rest is more or less irrelevant for my budget. 

Edited by ThomasThBKK
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, boonrawdcnx said:

How can Bangkok be expensive? I invited my (very rich) ex boss and  long time friend to visit and after a few years he finally agreed to stop over on a business trip. Arrived last year this is what he had to say with a smile  - “If you see it realistically it’s a stinking filthy dump without culture and the quality of life of a giant slum. No fancy new high rise condos or 5* hotels can cover that up.” So this is the objective view of a person who did not really want to visit - only visited here as a favor to me. I was shocked and realized that a might see Bangkok and Thailand through some kind of rose colored glasses still after all these years. 

Applies to any capital city on the planet.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Oldie said:

The corporate expats buy the same stuff they would in a European/American/Australian etc supermarket, i.e. expensive imports. We residents don't. Got it now?

• Like 1

What purchases do they base their assumptions on. Prices in Makro BKK are the same as Pattaya and all over Thailand....if they are talking about champagne and cocktails I get it, but not your normal shopping basket foodstuffs, transport and utilities.

3 hours ago, sprq said:

Exactly. A meaningless measure for most of us. This index refers to the kind of people who buy Uncle Ben's rice when in Thailand.

Don’t laugh too much.  If the Baht keeps rising, Uncle Bens rice, Rice Krispies and Rice-A-Roni, will all appear in your local 7 Eleven stores.

IMO - the I’m is cheaper on nearly all accounts. But, only if comparing apples to oranges i.e. Comparing Bangkok to a provincial town in the UK. 

London is crazy expensive for accommodation. However, for the same price as a decent house in Bkk a lovely house can be purchased in the British countryside. 

Quality food is cheaper in the UK. Ok, someone could live on street noodles, but come-on, that’s scraping the barrel. 

While cars a much much cheaper in the UK, general transport is not. 

& if course, wine, cheese, quality bread, decent meat and clean organic veg is cheaper in the UK, though there are many fruits & veg that are cheaper from the ‘wet markets’ the quality is often questionable.

It’s all swings & roundabouts, but on aggregate I find the UK cheaper, and that’s before Int’l school fees in bkk. 

I recently ran a very detailed cost analysis. Bangkok is about £20k per year more expensive than living in the quiet countryside in the UK (apples vs oranges because that’s not comparing bkk to London - but I can get guess me level I’d civilization in the I’m countryside which can’t be said of the Thai countryside)  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dimitriv said:

There are expats working for multinationals who rent an expensive condo in the city center, send their children to international schools, and do their shopping for food at Tesco.

…and there are 204 countries that made the list are less expensive to do so.

6 hours ago, dimitriv said:

And there are normal expats who do not do things like that. They live cheap.

So, shopping at Tesco is out of your budget? Yes, I agree one could live on 10,000 THB a month like the local presents and drive a Honda dream with side car and shop at the local talad. Many Farangs do. I'm not so sure that's the “normal” however.  

Do you now understand? ????

Edited by Venom
  • Like 1

On 6/11/2020 at 9:51 AM, webfact said:

Mercer reckoned that Tunis, the capital of Tunisia, was the cheapest for foreigners

Met an US American 6/7 yrs ago who lived there for this reason, but he moved to the UAE when the ISIS threat started ramping up. I traveled in and out for a couple of years there (and offshore), seemed like a good place.

The great thing about Bangkok is it can be as expensive or cheap as you want. Sometimes we go to Villa Market or Foodland and spend 5k on imported goods to use at home, other weeks we might go to the market and spend 500b on vegetables etc.

Same with eating out (or in at the moment), we spent about 150b recently on some noodles, we also spent about 2k on a big Italian takeaway. There are lots of cities around the world where you aren't given these choices.

I would say there are no huge expenses living here. The only things I can think of for myself are playing golf, a big night out drinking and maybe our car that would be cheaper in the UK.

Our mortgage is cheaper, cinema and entertainment are cheaper, bills are cheaper, our monthly spending is cheaper, I save considerably more working here than when I was working in England etc. Our biggest annual expense would probably be our holidays abroad each year. The only thing that I think would effect a lot of expats and expat families is international school fees for their children. Thankfully I am one of the lucky ones that is given it for free. 

As with most of these types of surveys, they are outdated before publishing. Give it 2 years, unless major Government change, and Thailand is going it will be the cheapest, because no one will want to come here.

Support a student.