How much longer before farang have to give up their seats on buses for Thais? What point would you leave?

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

It's enough already....  Not being able to return to Thailand to my family is significant enough to understand that the family unit (if with a foreigner) is not valued and I run the risk of being separated from my family if there are any further outbreaks, second waves, new viruses etc.

The excess charges for the national parks and other attempts at double pricing was one issue I didn't like for the outrageous clumsiness, but tolerated. What I am hearing / reading more of is growing announcements of what could be described as 'state sponsored xenophobia' which once spread through society would making living in Thailand a less enjoyable experience for Westerners.

Has Thailand lost its charm? this has been an ongoing discussion for well over a decade. Modernisation and development certainly changes the character of a place. We also develop and our attitudes change.

What we are prepared to put up with and tolerate is a very individual concept, more recently I found myself tolerating more than I was prepared to put up with and that is the singular facet of never being absolutely sure I could return home after one of my many frequent trips overseas. 

It's not only xenophobia but more about cozying up to China.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, samran said:

I can go down this weekend with my blond haired blue eyed wife and daughters. We all have Thai ID cards. If they don't let us in, then you'll be right.

If they do, then you'll be wrong. It won't make the move any less stupid, but it will be the difference between racism (which I take seriously) vs straight out nationalism (which I also have issues with).

Not exactly they can use the id card to selectively discriminate you having one proves little.

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

For many of us who are white men, this sort of allows us a glimpse into the black (or people of color) mindset in many nations.

Insightful. I am not white or black or of obvious ethnicity and while I enjoyed (and profited from) my years in the US, I often felt my otherness, especially in smaller cities. True it might have been just in my head on occasion but other times it was hard to mistake the change in behavior.

I don't say that I was treated badly. Au contraire most of the time it was with utmost courtesy and professionalism. But I knew I would never be "one of them". Not that I craved to be but it made the decision to pull up stakes and leave for Thailand as soon as the opportunity arose an easy one.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, DE Land said:

Honestly I'm more annoyed and disturbed with the dual pricing in Thailand..aka more expensive prices for many things, tickets etc for non-thais.

I was in a taxi with my wife, I'm a foreigner but I'm asian so I look somewhat like a Thai person. The taxi driver was quite talkative and him and my thai wife talked, I said a few words here and there... not too much.. I'm quite fluent in Thai so the taxi driver didn't know that I'm not Thai.

Somehow the conversation reached to a point that the driver talked about tourism and things like that and he said that "farangs deserve to be charged higher price because they come to our country bla bla".

In my mind I was like. f you! seriously and my blood was boiling inside, but yeah we were going to reach our destination at that point. So I just let it pass.

But yeah, some Thais mentality towards foreigners are like that... One of the things I hate the most about living in Thailand.

That is the same the World over .

Wherever you are from, I do expect the same thing happens 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

9 hours ago, Sujo said:

How, the borders are closed to farangs, only thais allowed in. So its more likely a thai would have the virus.

its racism pure and simple.

Most countries in the world have closed their borders to other than their own returning citizens. Are they all racist as well ?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, DE Land said:

Honestly I'm more annoyed and disturbed with the dual pricing in Thailand..aka more expensive prices for many things, tickets etc for non-thais.

I was in a taxi with my wife, I'm a foreigner but I'm asian so I look somewhat like a Thai person. The taxi driver was quite talkative and him and my thai wife talked, I said a few words here and there... not too much.. I'm quite fluent in Thai so the taxi driver didn't know that I'm not Thai.

Somehow the conversation reached to a point that the driver talked about tourism and things like that and he said that "farangs deserve to be charged higher price because they come to our country bla bla".

In my mind I was like. f you! seriously and my blood was boiling inside, but yeah we were going to reach our destination at that point. So I just let it pass.

But yeah, some Thais mentality towards foreigners are like that... One of the things I hate the most about living in Thailand.

I was in a taxi with my thai wife...the driver was warning her for farangs because they can have many more wifes and children in their homecountry.

So we don't take taxi's anymore now....no problem.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

It's enough already....  Not being able to return to Thailand to my family is significant enough to understand that the family unit (if with a foreigner) is not valued and I run the risk of being separated from my family if there are any further outbreaks, second waves, new viruses etc.

The excess charges for the national parks and other attempts at double pricing was one issue I didn't like for the outrageous clumsiness, but tolerated. What I am hearing / reading more of is growing announcements of what could be described as 'state sponsored xenophobia' which once spread through society would making living in Thailand a less enjoyable experience for Westerners.

Has Thailand lost its charm? this has been an ongoing discussion for well over a decade. Modernisation and development certainly changes the character of a place. We also develop and our attitudes change.

What we are prepared to put up with and tolerate is a very individual concept, more recently I found myself tolerating more than I was prepared to put up with and that is the singular facet of never being absolutely sure I could return home after one of my many frequent trips overseas. 

If you had stayed put in the first place you would be OK.

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, tlandtday said:

Not exactly they can use the id card to selectively discriminate you having one proves little.

Your post makes no sense. A Thai ID card holder qualifies for entry. Doesn’t matter what they look like. I’ve gone there lots of times, always gotten in for free. 

11 hours ago, PerkinsCuthbert said:

I don't think it's intelligent enough to be racism, it's just bone ignorance and stupidity.

There is lots of racistism from the Thai government and authorities, but I still say that the vast majority of

ordinary Thai people are not racist.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, MJKT2014 said:

Sid - best get back to your On The Buses ITV show and humor of old. You are either living in the past or clearly stirring up a new racist agenda in your own mind. The link you sent clearly states

“They don’t hold Thai ID cards, so they can’t board our buses,” she said when reached for comments. “We need them for identification purposes.”

and it says nothing about skin color - that was you.

Perhaps if you had a Thai ID card and were white they would let you on the buses as well. Until then, why not wait for Thai Authorities to get a control of the situation instead of starting a new agenda of your own?

I usually take the VIP bus if travelling by bus. Very inexpensive and comfortable. I'm 6'2" and don't want to crowd out the Thai people. They ask for ID but usually a DL will do.

33 minutes ago, MJKT2014 said:

Sid - best get back to your On The Buses ITV show and humor of old. You are either living in the past or clearly stirring up a new racist agenda in your own mind. The link you sent clearly states

“They don’t hold Thai ID cards, so they can’t board our buses,” she said when reached for comments. “We need them for identification purposes.”

and it says nothing about skin color - that was you.

Perhaps if you had a Thai ID card and were white they would let you on the buses as well. Until then, why not wait for Thai Authorities to get a control of the situation instead of starting a new agenda of your own?

Funny when at other  places  a  passport will suffice and is often copied for such purposes.

2 hours ago, Don Mega said:

Do Farangs really catch buses or is the butthurt and outrage simply a matter of boredom and along rolls another bandwagon so they jump aboard ?

What exactly are 'buses' and what are they used for?

10 hours ago, tlandtday said:

And china didn't????? Do you think the chinese will be banned from the buses?

China held it down to 84.000, not bad considering they didn't know what it was. Less than 1500 to deal with currently.

America passed 2m today but they can go and get a haircut which is obviously more important. Well 986 of them cant today because they're in a box.

Attitudes count in these situations and the 'f*** you' one from America stinks.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

58 minutes ago, gunderhill said:

Funny when at other  places  a  passport will suffice and is often copied for such purposes.

A passport doesn't have your address, The whole point of the ID during travel restrictions is to verify you have a reason to travel to the destination, your ID shows you live there.