Immigration Photocopies Ripoff

4 hours ago, scorecard said:

Is it the actual immigration office providing this service and actual immigration staff making the copies and taking the money?

Or is it an independent person with a small independent shop on the immigration location with the shop operator taking the money? 

You don't understand the symbiotic relationships between public entities and private business that are allow to run monopolies in conjunction with said public entity? 

Look around.  It's a common practice here.  The key word being - "symbiotic."

• Like 2

Was in CW immigration the other day updating my bankbook that has a sizable bunch of money in it and noticed the " no copy here" sign, something they use to do for me for several years now, i hit the roof and told the person in charge there that i'm a loyal customer of this bank and have sh$t load of money in my accounts and you refuse me a lousy one page copy courtesy service? to which she gave a dirty look and proceeded to provide me with said copy...

• Confused 1

On 6/11/2020 at 2:20 PM, Neeranam said:

They were made take away their tip box the last time someone complained, with hundreds of Facebookers commenting about the injustice. Not all like to bend over and take it up the you know what.

It's absolutely shocking, one of lifes travesty's. 

Perhaps this is bigger than CV-19 and BLM combined?

Shocking!

Jeez that is about 1 Ripple for a photocopy...........................but don't worry........since by your own claims you hold ripple and they soon gone be worth $100.000 you probably next year can buy the photocopy shop with that 1 ripple

I have been grateful that the Immigration Office had copy facilities when I needed them (3x in 25 years), and would have paid much more than a measly 7.whatever baht. Would you rather have left the office to find a copy shop in the city just to pay less? I'd be happy they didn't tell me to comeback the next day with the necessary copies. Are you kidding me? :blink:

• Like 1

the last time i went for my annual extension i was short one copy of a document, the IO kindly said no problem and copied it for me, gratis. i've said before, i've never had any issues or problems with any immigration office or immigration officer. i have always found them to be reasonably pleasant, organised and professional.

it helps to have all your documentation in order and have a calm and friendly attitude.

• Like 2

On 6/11/2020 at 8:46 PM, Neeranam said:

I was shocked to hear that my local immigration charges 7.5 baht per photocopy. I find this disgraceful and basically extortion.

Why, are you forced to use their copy service?  You do know what extortion is, don't you?

Edited by Bob A Kneale

On 6/11/2020 at 9:02 PM, Caldera said:

Of course there's something you can do: Copy your documents elsewhere, before heading to immigration. I copy them at home, but there are plenty of shops that offer that service.

Then the IOs will alter the rules at their "discretion" to make sure you have to ask them to reprint the copies. ????

On 6/11/2020 at 9:14 PM, darrendsd said:

You heard it or it happened to you? Which one

As another poster said copy your documents elsewhere if you are not happy

If you are really "shocked" then make a formal complaint to the Immigration Office that is charging that amount - Do let us know how you get on won't you?

I have made complaints about IOs on two occasions and I got on fine. They don't scare me.

• Like 1

The lady processing my paperwork told me that I hadn't copied enough of the pages of my passport when I went to renew my retirement visa the other day here in Samui. She said no problem, I do it, and went to the copy machine in the back and made the copies. No charge, just a smile. Life is good! ????

On 6/11/2020 at 9:20 PM, Neeranam said:

They were made take away their tip box the last time someone complained, with hundreds of Facebookers commenting about the injustice. Not all like to bend over and take it up the you know what.

There is still quite a few members of the "scared of your own shadow" brigade though.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Is there a advisory list around that can inform someone, going to immigration, as to what has to be photocopied beforehand?  

Advisory list around where? All the IOs have their own rules.

50 minutes ago, samsensam said:

the last time i went for my annual extension i was short one copy of a document, the IO kindly said no problem and copied it for me, gratis. i've said before, i've never had any issues or problems with any immigration office or immigration officer. i have always found them to be reasonably pleasant, organised and professional.

it helps to have all your documentation in order and have a calm and friendly attitude.

exactly the same experience for me last month at Nonthaburi  

That's a problem? I am more irritated that they charge 200bht to help you fill out your papers. Some years ago they charged 30bht for 5min. Not that i need their service anymore.... For copies go to a small Chinese shop on the corner jomtien beach/ soo 6 I think

On 6/11/2020 at 10:31 PM, lee b said:

where on earth did they come up with that price? 7.5THB. Oh its 1THB here in CM to copy but I get everything done before I go.

If I've ever had to have a copy done in CM there's never been a charge for it.

Had bad experienced before.

Been preparing and printing my own relevant docs photocopies and bank statements, (1 set only) for extension application for several years without a hitch.

Till once, this male IO rejected all my document photocopies, claiming the pages bottom has no room for their stamps even though there are sufficient space on it.

Then this kind male IO "offered to help" print out all relating copies at their office machine. 

At the end of my extension and re-entry applications approved, charged me almost 200 baht of photocopying @ 5 baht each. Questioned him why charged 5 baht while photocopying only cost merely 50 satang or 1 baht? Claimed their photocopier machine were leased from supplier. 

Speechless.

On 6/11/2020 at 9:02 PM, Caldera said:

Of course there's something you can do: Copy your documents elsewhere, before heading to immigration. I copy them at home, but there are plenty of shops that offer that service.

Yes indeed and like your good self I also prepare copies, in color if necessary, on my HP Desk Jet printer connected to my computer.  

• Like 1

On 6/11/2020 at 9:20 PM, Neeranam said:

Several immigration offices don't do copies. They want you to copy your documents elsewhere, and it's also cheap if you know where to go. Close to the immigration office is normally more expensive. 

5 hours ago, Surasak said:

Great until the IO says they want a copy of X, which isn't on the list. There's always one.

Actually, the immigration in my city ask for a copy of the receipt, just because of some smart <deleted> taking their own copies, making it more expensive for everyone else.

3 hours ago, RangerF said:

Had bad experienced before.

Been preparing and printing my own relevant docs photocopies and bank statements, (1 set only) for extension application for several years without a hitch.

Till once, this male IO rejected all my document photocopies, claiming the pages bottom has no room for their stamps even though there are sufficient space on it.

Then this kind male IO "offered to help" print out all relating copies at their office machine. 

At the end of my extension and re-entry applications approved, charged me almost 200 baht of photocopying @ 5 baht each. Questioned him why charged 5 baht while photocopying only cost merely 50 satang or 1 baht? Claimed their photocopier machine were leased from supplier. 

Speechless.

50 satang  ? BS