BANGKOK
webfact

Biden says military would help oust Trump if he loses election but refuses to leave

On 7/5/2020 at 6:37 PM, heybruce said:

Right, and we are doing a great job of isolating the vulnerable, aren't we?

"Nursing home residents account for nearly 1 in 10 of all the coronavirus cases in the United States and more than a quarter of the deaths, according to an Associated Press analysis of government data released Thursday."   https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/nursing-homes-represent-more-1-4-covid-19-deaths-u-n1231547

Add to that the fact that herd immunity is a conjecture, not a proven fact, and the argument for business as usual becomes very weak.

The choice is quite clear, to me at least. Either we bite the bullet, isolate the at risk and carry on, letting the chips fall to gain herd immunity, or we carry on with lockdowns, masks etc and postpone the moment of truth as long as possible, but destroy more lives by economic collapse than Corona would.

At present the winning side is for lockdown and economic collapse, but IMO it is inevitable that eventually reality will force the former option on us.

14 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The choice is quite clear, to me at least. Either we bite the bullet, isolate the at risk and carry on, letting the chips fall to gain herd immunity, or we carry on with lockdowns, masks etc and postpone the moment of truth as long as possible, but destroy more lives by economic collapse than Corona would.

At present the winning side is for lockdown and economic collapse, but IMO it is inevitable that eventually reality will force the former option on us.

Or we carry on with limited lockdowns (I can live my life pretty much as normal, excluding trips to bars and restaurants) and wait for a vaccine to be developed.

A vaccine is not certain, but neither is herd immunity.  I think a well researched and tested vaccine has a better chance of providing some immunity than letting everyone get sick and hope the survivors have some immunity.

• Like 1