Freedom to marry declaration UK embassy open?

notrub

We are about to marry, primarily so my partner of 5 years can access my bank account when I die.  I know most of what I need to do but is the following comment true?

'Once you have the affirmation, you will need to have it translated into Thai and then you need to take it to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to have it stamped and signed.'

I thought the next stop following the swearing the freedom to marry declaration at the embassy was to go to the amphur with the declaration and ID and simply do the deed.  Have I missed something?

Is the BKK UK Embassy open these days please?  We are in the wilds of Isaan and the local government offices here are small and personal.  We have a home built on land with an usufruct in my favour and no debt.  I have enough money etc. to satisfy the normal visa requirements.  Other than having my head examined is there any other advice please?  Thanks very much.

Thanks ubonjoe.  Do you have the email or other contact details for this department please?  I have searched their various information pages without any luck.  I have downloaded the forms etc. and would like to go asap but did not know about their services during the pandemic.

32 minutes ago, notrub said:

Thanks ubonjoe.  Do you have the email or other contact details for this department please?  I have searched their various information pages without any luck.  I have downloaded the forms etc. and would like to go asap but did not know about their services during the pandemic.

are you aware that any UK bank account will be frozen upon your death unless you planning to have a joint account

14 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

are you aware that any UK bank account will be frozen upon your death unless you planning to have a joint account

Thanks, my UK bank account has very little in it.  I keep it active so I can have a (little used) UK visa card and for a just in case scenario.  I also looked at just leaving everything here to her with a will but becoming marries seems to be the simplest solution.  I am 72 and do not intend to look for a different partner so becoming married will not limit me or my lifestyle at all. Famous last words...

Edited by notrub
clarification

Yes you do need to get the affirmation translated and then legalised by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

The easiest way to do this is to leave it with one of the many translation shops around the Embassy who will translate the document and take it to be stamped then post it to your home address by SMS for a reasonable fee, and believe me its well worth it.

Also most amphurs require a copy of your passport legalised as well so you may as well get that done at the same time.

By the way Thai banks operate the same as the rest of the world, they will freeze your personal accounts on your death as well, and this requires a court order for them to release the funds. You really need to make a will because when there is the scent of money people come out of the woodwork nomatter how nice they are when you are around.

Edited by happylarry
  • Like 2

The Amphur will not accept the ‘freedom to marry’ in English.  It has to be translated and stamped by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

As suggested get one of the translation companies to do it all and post it to you.  Total cost Was about 1000 baht.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/12/2020 at 8:06 AM, ubonjoe said:

They are open but you will have to make an appointment.

Info for affirmation is here. https://www.gov.uk/guidance/notarial-and-documentary-services-guide-for-thailand#affirmation-of-marital-status

The US Embassy is still closed as of yet. I guess I picked the wrong country to be born in.

On 6/12/2020 at 11:20 AM, happylarry said:

Yes you do need to get the affirmation translated and then legalised by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

The easiest way to do this is to leave it with one of the many translation shops around the Embassy who will translate the document and take it to be stamped then post it to your home address by SMS for a reasonable fee, and believe me its well worth it.

Also most amphurs require a copy of your passport legalised as well so you may as well get that done at the same time.

By the way Thai banks operate the same as the rest of the world, they will freeze your personal accounts on your death as well, and this requires a court order for them to release the funds. You really need to make a will because when there is the scent of money people come out of the woodwork nomatter how nice they are when you are around.

Couldn't agree more on the translator service.

Why run around yourself when these businesses will do it all for a small fee

We had ours translated and returned in 48 hours

Thanks very much 'Oh Grumpy One'.  A will is a put off 'til tomorrow chore.  ('Why do I need one?  I am not dead.')  In fact it seems to be more important to have a will than to be married.  Thanks for the reminder.  regards B