Pattaya to Hua Hin ferry: Will remain shut until an "appropriate time"

webfact

23 hours ago, petermik said:

I travel by car each month from Patts down past Hua Hin.....takes me three and a half to four hours :thumbsup:

Three and a half hours? Well that would depend on traffic, roadworks and weather conditions. And you would need a nutter driving the vehicle. Hmm maybe that's it...

Almost forgot. Cost in fuel getting there?

7 hours ago, MJKT2014 said:

Not sure why you keep pointing out it takes less than 4 hours. Sometimes it does take 5 hours. It depends on traffic. Sometimes it takes 2 hours just to get across Bangkok during rush hour.

Avoid rush hour...simple :thumbsup:

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Peterhua said:

Perhaps you can tell us how many times you have been on the trip to be able to quote times like that. Is it a few or are you just guessing again?

It all depends on the weather.......If the sea is calm it takes 2hrs for the ferry.....If the sea is rough it can take up to 3 hours or even more if the sea is very rough... 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Peterhua said:

Three and a half hours? Well that would depend on traffic, roadworks and weather conditions. And you would need a nutter driving the vehicle. Hmm maybe that's it...

Almost forgot. Cost in fuel getting there?

"a nutter driving the vehicle" I take exception to that..if personal attacks from behind a keyboard is your forte you must live a sad life.

BTW....I travel each month (for the past 5 years) from Pattaya down to Trang in southern Thailand and return it,s a 940 kms run I leave Pattaya at 4 am (going tomorrow) its a 12 hour drive done it umpteen times never exceed 110 kms/hour and yes 3.5 to 4 hours in normal traffic is no problem.....on my way back I hit Hua Hin around 12.30 -1.00pm and I,m back in Pattaya around 4.30 FACT.

cost of fuel.....20 litres @20.32 (todays price for E20) 420 baht for two persons compared with 2400 baht ferry cost.....anything else I can help you with?

Edited by petermik
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, redwood1 said:

It all depends on the weather.......If the sea is calm it takes 2hrs for the ferry.....If the sea is rough it can take up to 3 hours or even more if the sea is very rough... 

if the sea is very rough (by thai standards) they cancel and your stuck..if there are insufficient passengers they cancel :thumbsup:

• Sad 1

On 6/12/2020 at 8:38 AM, webfact said:

It would resume operations at an appropriate time in the future, said Ekkarat Khantharo.

With only Thais domestically moving around I don't think they will pay the ticket price for this service.

A family in a vehicle sharing costs is cheaper than paying for this!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

With only Thais domestically moving around I don't think they will pay the ticket price for this service.

A family in a vehicle sharing costs is cheaper than paying for this!

Well do the math......4 X 1,250= 5,000 baht and round trip 10,000 baht.......The huge and vast majority of Thais will not pay this and the same goes for a huge chunk of expats......Hence the ferry will be closed until the tourist return how ever long that might be..... 

Edited by redwood1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, redwood1 said:

Well do the math......4 X 1,250= 5,000 baht and round trip 10,000 baht.......The huge and vast majority of Thais will not pay this and the same goes for a huge chunk of expats......Hence the ferry will be closed until the tourist return how ever long that might be..... 

As a matter of fact this is proof they charge to much because they can not attract local ridership.....You have never seen EVER the boat to Koh larn lacking in passengers because the fare fits everybody's budget...

• Like 1

Uh  Peter, improve your reading. I said from Boarding at Hua Hin, not leaving my

guest house in Hua Hin. and It was 3 hours as the boat did not go very fast

and even another passenger commented that it was slower than usual, maybe because

of the tide.

Geezer

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, redwood1 said:

As a matter of fact this is proof they charge to much because they can not attract local ridership.....You have never seen EVER the boat to Koh larn lacking in passengers because the fare fits everybody's budget...

You're right, i think with cost of tickets at more affordable levels, then the ferry would be very popular. I remember when they first introduced the service and thinking it was great, that was until i found out how much the tickets were.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

Uh  Peter, improve your reading. I said from Boarding at Hua Hin, not leaving my

guest house in Hua Hin. and It was 3 hours as the boat did not go very fast

and even another passenger commented that it was slower than usual, maybe because

of the tide.

Geezer

Not my reading that was wrong you stated 3 hours from the port...I asked how long it took you to get from Hua Hin itself to the port...as I know it,s some distance 20-30 minutes I believe all this adds to total travel time :whistling:

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Peterhua said:

Perhaps you can tell us how many times you have been on the trip to be able to quote times like that. Is it a few or are you just guessing again?

Two hours is what the timetable states as travel time, I wouldn't include the trips to and from the teminal!

7 hours ago, jacko45k said:

You already said 'possibly' then wrote 'no chance', make up your mind if you know it!

I don,t know what your on about "possibly"...my comment "no chance" was about the trip from Pattaya to Hua Hin in two hours by ferry...have you actually done the trip and can confirm or just quoting the ferry Companies Timetable?

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, petermik said:

I don,t know what your on about "possibly"...my comment "no chance" was about the trip from Pattaya to Hua Hin in two hours by ferry...have you actually done the trip and can confirm or just quoting the ferry Companies Timetable?

You quoted me both times with contradicting answers.... I suggest you don't know what you are on about. Is it possible or not?

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, redwood1 said:

We can not start service because of Covid, is just another way of saying we are going to lose a ton of money with no tourist in town if we started now...

The local farangs and Thais just dont shell out 1,250 baht very often for a one way trip.......

Even in the best of times I think they ran 60-70% empty........Now it would be about 98% empty... 

Agreed however that wasn't the reason stated. At least that i saw, maybe i missed something and if i did i apologize

Had done the ferry just once in the very peak New Year Holiday season. 

Only 30-40 % of seats in the very big ferry were occupied. 

Indeed almost all were farang tourists and some with Thai girls in tow. 

Time schedule was rigid with just one departure every day, even in peak travel season.     

I also guess that it will eventually die out. 

Probably the reason why this is not a good service is because unless you have a strong stomach be prepared for a couple of hours looking at your insides...I had the misfortune to be on an almost 3 hour journey throwing up, so for me I would rather walk to Hua Hin than go on that thing again

• Haha 1