Thailand to lift curfew, allow alcohol sales in restaurants, hotels

webfact

7 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

Obviously the message is drinkers are not trustworthy which is already a known fact. If this step leads to lack of virus control and a health issue I have no doubt they will shut it all down just as fast. So, I guess it's up to the drinkers to maintain virus awareness in public - trouble is 1 in 5 of you are already out of control so that becomes very problematic. So, if this experiment goes south and there's a covid spike, and if it gets all shut down again you can blame each other instead of the government.

Can't we just blame the Thais as we usually do?

7 hours ago, mrfill said:

5 metres square is 5m x 5m - in other words 25sq m per person. To get some idea of that - a football pitch is around 100m x 50m and would allow 200 people maximum. In the Before Times, there would be 5000+. Concerts ? No chance.

Maths is not your strong point.  An area of 5m square is around 2.2m x 2x2m.  It is not 25 sqm.

The rest of your post therefore makes no sense.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, josephbloggs said:

Maths is not your strong point.  An area of 5m square is around 2.2m x 2x2m.  It is not 25 sqm.

English can be very confusing at times. 

4 Meters square = 4x4 meters = 16 sqm = 16 square meters = 16 m2

4 Meters squareD = 4 square meters = 4 sqm = 4 m2 = 2x2 meters (for instance)

• Like 1

The only reason I can think of why Thailand government has such an issue with the

evil alcohol. and pubs and bars, is that most are owned by the opposition parties.

The other reason may be that so many government workers and high level staff

are total alcoholics and this is an easy way to keep them sober so they can go

to work during this stressful time. When most countries in Asia and other parts

of the world have not shut their bars down this long, there must be a very valid reason

that the Thai government has,  for not letting the bars and pubs open when almost everywhere

else that people gather have opened. 

Geezer

17 hours ago, smedly said:

it's a step up from 7/11 and sitting on the pavement on soi Buakhao

bar owners I feel your pain

On my morning 4 am walk I noticed that there is no requirement to sit on the pavement anymore as they have placed bench seats out the front of “tree town”

Soi Buakhao ????????‍♂️????????????
Thailand – facilitating the easing of restrictions????????????

People are getting sick of all this BS from the green retard division, all everyone wants to do i get back to making a living before the whole game collapses. They've finally got their way though, they'll be closing all the bars down and advising them to " Find something else to do ".......    It breaks my heart to see what this lot have done in the past five years and if they rig another election hopefully people will remember all the "Progress" they've made here....... (Progress????)....... 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Kerryd said:

I'll play the ThaiVisa "but my case is different than everyone else in the country" game and say "But what if I sit in a "bar" and ask the scantily clad waitress with the number badge for a Jack/Coke and a cheeseburger with a side of fries. Or an order of Jalapeno Poppers and a plate of chicken wings ?"

And then she goes next door to get the food and then brings it back to me with my drink and then sits next to me in case I need something else or maybe I want to share my food with her.
Would that place then be considered a restaurant to ? Because I ordered food in it and was served food in it ? 

(I've eaten in "restaurants" before where they've actually had the food prepared somewhere else and then delivered to the kitchen of the place I was in and the staff would then serve it like they'd made it themselves. I had a laugh once when the delivery guy came in the front carrying my order and a minute later the staff brought it out and served it to me on the same plate with the same metal cover still on it. They then admitted they had a kitchen but no cook so they got their food from the hotel next door.)

Shouldn't matter if the waitress is wearing a g-string and a smile should it ? I've seen stories of noodle shops, coffee shops and even "Fish Farm" restaurants using scantily clad "pretties" as waitresses to "boost" business.

So it shouldn't be a problem for some bars and a-go-gos to do the same, should it ?

I'll bet there'd be a lot of punters that would order a 100 baht "meal" and tell them to not even bother delivering it if that was all it would take to be able to sit and drink in a bar (or go-go) again.

Based on comments I see hear, the punters would whinge that the 100bht meal could be bought for 90 baht next door, and this would be the next level of complaining. 

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Restaurant menu of the day:

a small bowl of peanuts plus one large beer 150 Baht. :biggrin:

Is that Issan price (where I used to live). Pattaya almost certainly 250 baht - 55555! One small beer in Pattaya once cost me a rip-off 100 baht!

22 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

People will go to restaurants and hotels for a drink, and most places will serve them, due to massive losses caused by the lockdown, yet millions remain unemployed because they cannot work in the other places mentioned !

Yeah except the only 3 within 3 miles of me have all shut for good and one has been completely demolished.  It's fine for those in resorts/city centres etc. (although I suspect the range of choice in places like Pattaya and Phuket may be smaller than pre- Covid. Makes little difference to a lot of us.

20 hours ago, webfact said:

And music performances or concerts must provide 5 metres square per attendee.

How in gods name are they going to do that, this and a few of the others are just nonsensical, what about arriving and departing?

Toilet facilities etc etc

20 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

Obviously the message is drinkers are not trustworthy which is already a known fact. If this step leads to lack of virus control and a health issue I have no doubt they will shut it all down just as fast. So, I guess it's up to the drinkers to maintain virus awareness in public - trouble is 1 in 5 of you are already out of control so that becomes very problematic. So, if this experiment goes south and there's a covid spike, and if it gets all shut down again you can blame each other instead of the government.

So getting drunk i a supposedly covid free nation will cause covid cases to spike? BTW i hardly drink but maybe i should start so i can understand this logic LOL

• Like 2

19 hours ago, 5633572526 said:

I don’t know any restaurant where this would be true and I never cook so eat out every day. Perhaps you should get out and walk around a little with your eyes open.

Wanna know one particular restaurant, where the police implemented those exact rules, Mr. Knowitall?

3 hours ago, SupermarineS6B said:

People are getting sick of all this BS from the green retard division, all everyone wants to do i get back to making a living before the whole game collapses. They've finally got their way though, they'll be closing all the bars down and advising them to " Find something else to do ".......    It breaks my heart to see what this lot have done in the past five years and if they rig another election hopefully people will remember all the "Progress" they've made here....... (Progress????)....... 

closing all the beer bars/gogo's etc etc is bad how ?

In regards to turning Pattaya into a family friendly "resort" destination,  the seedier side of the place needs to be removed from the in your face it currently is.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, smedly said:

it's a step up from 7/11 and sitting on the pavement on soi Buakhao

bar owners I feel your pain

Obviously I don't know your location, but in over 20 years I have only once seen someone sitting on the pavement outside 7Eleven drinking beer. (A farang in Nakhon Sawan) 

And once I saw a group of Russian women necking large Chang outside, but they were stood up. 

1 hour ago, Burma Bill said:

Is that Issan price (where I used to live). Pattaya almost certainly 250 baht - 55555! One small beer in Pattaya once cost me a rip-off 100 baht!

Average for a 320 ml bottle in Pattaya 70/75. Plenty of places where you can pay less. 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, whaleboneman said:

OK, so 00:01 then?

Good point, the way it is worded, no curfew on Monday could be interpreted as no curfew after midnight Sunday. And places could open at 00.01 Monday. 

18 hours ago, luckyluke said:

I am in Thonglor now, there is a well known place called =

The Old English Pub.

They served food also, but completely closed now.

Wonder what they will do on Monday.

The name Pub may attract the police in search of extra income, if they sell alcohol too.

Like most places serving food they probably have a restaurant licence or classification. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

Agreed, like the 10 drunks at 8am who assaulted with 18 stitches required a reporter as reported today on tvf,

many locals can not  or will not conform. 8am in the morning and the only defence from the ring leader was

" we were very drunk"   

18 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

You clearly don't understand the difference between 5 metres square and 5 square metres. One has sides of 5m and thus an area of 25 sq m, the other has an area of 5 sq m. The OP clearly refers to the former.