Alcohol industry pleads for trial reopening of bars

webfact

1 hour ago, 0815 said:

Only bars in hotels to open for consuming alcohol ?
Thought this was in Dubai.
Just who will drink there without having tourists ????...

How many tourists would go to Dubai (or Bahrain) if it were like Saudi drink-wise?

It ain't just that you can't get a drink, it's that you couldn't if you wanted to!

Thailand has had no new cases of Cv19 for 18 days. Doesn't that mean that Thailand only has Cv19 cases with people in hospital. So the bars should be Cv19 free. Why continue with Cv19 lockdown stupidity ? Somebody is making, or will make, a lot of money out of this. How much will it cost to buy a bankrupt bar ? 

• Like 2

This government is going to be seen as the worst government ever in regard to economy. Not only the staff and owners of bars and clubs are affected but also businesses relying on them such as entertainment, bands etc. I have a friend who is nearly 70 and has been in the music business since the late sixties. He has a totally disabled son and wife to look after and no help from the government. He has worked all his life and is a very hsrd working individual who has also employed at least 4 other musicians at any time. He is now devestated and cannot afford nappies for his grown son. This government is disgraceful. You cannot deprive prople of their inalienable right to work and earn a living as they do to foreigners here. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, smedly said:

they should have allowed bars to open when they are allowing restaurants to sell alcohol - discos and nightclubs are by nature completely different and attract big numbers in a confined space making social distancing impossible

I think let them tough it out to the end of this month, if domestic infections are still at zero then let them open July 1st... there will then be no argument to keep them closed.

If there is an infection reported in a certain area then the provincial governor must act swiftly to contain it.

There seems to be a lot of people angry about my statement (post # 5 in this thread).

However, in my post I named no names and I did not say (or even imply) that all drinkers are alcoholics.

Therefore, if you are an alcoholic and I offended you in any way, I apologize.

For those of you who are not alcoholics but still managed to get offended by a factual remark, I cannot apologize for hurting your feelings, as the remark wasn’t aimed at you.

If you get offended by this post you are a snowflake, in which case please feel free to ‘react’ with a sad or confused icon.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

The anti alcohol lobby must be smiling.

The new talk of the town is that they do not want small bars ever to open.

which of course will just help the big boys again & put thousands of the poorer people in the community on the street

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bert got kinky said:

There seems to be a lot of people angry about my statement (post # 5 in this thread).

However, in my post I named no names and I did not say (or even imply) that all drinkers are alcoholics.

Therefore, if you are an alcoholic and I offended you in any way, I apologize.

For those of you who are not alcoholics but still managed to get offended by a factual remark, I cannot apologize for hurting your feelings, as the remark wasn’t aimed at you.

If you get offended by this post you are a snowflake, in which case please feel free to ‘react’ with a sad or confused icon.

Why bump a lame reply?

• Like 2

21 hours ago, cyril sneer said:

every day is another nail in the coffin, the country will never recover from this

Of course it will recover. Might take a while but it will. Might not be so many grubby litlle bars around with chairs and tables stuck together with pallet wood and 4" nails and that won't be a big loss.

It's not the end of the world, yet ????????.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, rocksniffer said:

Thailand has had no new cases of Cv19 for 18 days. Doesn't that mean that Thailand only has Cv19 cases with people in hospital. So the bars should be Cv19 free. Why continue with Cv19 lockdown stupidity ? Somebody is making, or will make, a lot of money out of this. How much will it cost to buy a bankrupt bar ? 

That needs some big assumptions and a lot of trust in government data. Do you really trust Thai government data?

No reported cases within the genpop, does not mean its not there. They are not testing and they are not reporting, what about those who get sick, never see a doctor and die at home, with a death certificate that states cause of death as "Heart stopped", what about asymptomatic spreaders?

Too many variables and too much faith required.

I think the government knows its weakness and is hell bent on not having it exposed.

• Sad 1

People on vacation normally want some type of night entertainment. Las Vegas tried the 'Vegas is for families' approach. I think it worked to some extent but in the end...a failure compared to 'what happens in vegas stays in vegas).

my opinion is clear...both actually worked for Vegas. there are game rooms, tours, roller coasters, etc. you can bring your family but...you know the rest of the story. kids do not spend much money. The profit from a family coming to thailand to ride an elephant is quite small. the profit from a 4 some who come to play golf then go out at night is ... probably 10 times greater. Maybe 100 times. Maybe...i do not have a number but they spend a lot more money than an elephant ride.   

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Olmate said:

Why bump a lame reply?

Did you forget to leave me a 'sad' or 'confused' icon?

The answer was not a bump, it was a reply to the posters that got offended.

What a shame that there are people in this world that do not understand how a forum works. :crazy:

My town is dead as a doornail. I cannot remember ever being bored in my life, but I am starting to get bored now. My wife has returned to another home she owns in another land and will have to do 14 days quarantine when she arrives back. If I want to join her there I have a 14 day quarantine....and now I see these quarantines are unlikely to be lifted before July 31st.

I am sick of television, sick of reading, sick of eating, sick of sleeping and sick of puzzles. All I want to do is sleep.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andrew65 said:

How many tourists would go to Dubai (or Bahrain) if it were like Saudi drink-wise?

It ain't just that you can't get a drink, it's that you couldn't if you wanted to!

World class tourist destinations. Can't get a drink. 45 degree weather. Get arrested for too much touching or kissing in public, or showing a little too much skin on the beach. A similar amount of fun awaits those headed to the 2022 World Cup in Qatar. No booze, a dress code like you're going to church, and some kind of "testing" to refuse admission to gays?

In either case, these Arab nations have been demanding Western tourism, culture, and of course money, yet still insist upon their draconian ideals. Let's see how well that works out for them. Dubai's already been feeling the pain, with vacant properties, debt-ridden supercars left abandoned at the airport, and their man-made paradise islands sinking back into the sea.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

World class tourist destinations. Can't get a drink. 45 degree weather. Get arrested for too much touching or kissing in public, or showing a little too much skin on the beach. A similar amount of fun awaits those headed to the 2022 World Cup in Qatar. No booze, a dress code like you're going to church, and some kind of "testing" to refuse admission to gays?

In either case, these Arab nations have been demanding Western tourism, culture, and of course money, yet still insist upon their draconian ideals. Let's see how well that works out for them. Dubai's already been feeling the pain, with vacant properties, debt-ridden supercars left abandoned at the airport, and their man-made paradise islands sinking back into the sea.

Some places do need a very big wall built around them.

20 hours ago, smedly said:

they should have allowed bars to open when they are allowing restaurants to sell alcohol - discos and nightclubs are by nature completely different and attract big numbers in a confined space making social distancing impossible

Of course, Bars don't?  You obviously haven't been in many Bars!

• Haha 2

Dont forget that at least one of the cabinet is a teetotaller and fan of marching around whilst having the burden of running the country in a crisis, its not easy having to make decisions.

57 minutes ago, Expat Tom said:

"Don't cry for me Thailand!" When the world normalizes I will be seeking a more rational place to live and abandoning my home of the last 15 years. There is just too much incompetence and anti-farang attitudes in the government. 

Good. Mind the door doesn't hit you in the a$$ on the way out. 

Do you honestly think anyone cares what you do? 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

You can get booze in Qatar but it's V expensive, I was paying $9 for a small bottle of Heineken in the airport (just been 6 weeks without a drink in Kurdistan!).

The Saudis are talking about using some of their islands in the Red Sea for tourism. I think there would be booze, but I don't think the average Saudi would be allowed to go there. When I worked in Saudi I used to travel through Bahrain to & from Bangkok, it's not a bad place for a booze-up, I think of it as a lower-key version of Dubai.

22 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

You're correct, only about 20% have full blown alcoholism with another 20% classified as 'problem drinkers'. 

Please share the credible source here in Thailand where you got that information 

• Like 1

On 6/12/2020 at 3:06 PM, Thaiwrath said:

That seems to be part of this government's plan.

And most of these establishments would not be missed.  Only a fool would believe that new establishments won’t spring up like mushrooms after the rain ... once the restrictions are removed.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Magenta408 said:

I'm no big fan of the current big "beer" companies. It's all <deleted> but I see no reason to keep the bars shut down when everything else opens. What is the logic? To keep young people away? It's obvious to me.

When was the last time you were in a bar where young Thai’s hang out.  The social distance is about 5cm nothing lake a restaurant even with the new seating arrangements 

• Like 1