Thai road carnage: Year death toll to date tops 6,000

rooster59

Thai road carnage: Year death toll to date tops 6,000

sheets.JPG

Image: Daily News

Thai media Daily News reported yesterday that the death toll at the scene of accidents in Thailand since the beginning of the year now stands at 6,120.

Another 43 died at the scene on Wednesday. They cautioned that the figure was likely to rise when all reports are tallied. 

In their headline they cautioned not to drive fast even though roads might be empty. 

As part of their campaign to raise awareness they reported on an accident on Route 117 in Phitsanulok in the north of Thailand when a Honda Civic slammed into a tree. 

Two bodies were under cloth by the roadside as foundation rescue officials arranged the possessions of the dead. 

So far in June 423 have died at the scene. 

Thailand's death toll is believed to be much higher than these figures suggest with even government leaders accepting it surpasses 20,000 per year.

Most estimates put the figure at between 24,000 and 26,000 annually when all deaths at hospitals and on the way to hospitals are added, notes Thaivisa.

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-06-13

that death toll is vastly reduced from the norm over almost 6 months yet overall deaths in Thailand remain slightly less than normal, I wonder what they died from if not on the roads ?

anybody want to guess

• Haha 1

In my opinion, there are two things that have to change if things are to improve. Firstly, the rules of the road have to be actually applied to the super rich and those in positions of authority. No one should be above the law. And secondly the rest of the general public have abandon their 'sabai sabai' mindset.  

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, smedly said:

that death toll is vastly reduced from the norm over almost 6 months yet overall deaths in Thailand remain slightly less than normal, I wonder what they died from if not on the roads ?

anybody want to guess

According to the NYT, deaths in Thailand in March were 4% above normal...

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/04/21/world/coronavirus-missing-deaths.html

1 minute ago, smedly said:

exactly my point

road deaths vastly reduced yet overall deaths have not decreased (4% increase) assuming that figure to be around 5000 per month x 6 that is 30000 deaths over 6 months

4% of the normal amount of monthly deaths in Thailand (47k) would be 1,800. That times 6 months would be: 10,800.

4 hours ago, bodga said:

Just wear a  mask when riding, thatll fix it.

So whens  the new lockdown starting to end the road  deaths?

Meanwhile the govt congratulated themselves on being covid  free,  a  beacon of  hope for the  rest of the world.

Plus amulet to enchance the power of the mask. 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, JCP108 said:

4% of the normal amount of monthly deaths in Thailand (47k) would be 1,800. That times 6 months would be: 10,800.

According to this graph from the linked NYTimes article, other than the 4% / 1800 increase for March, the other first 6 months of 2020 show deaths and anticipated deaths at normal or below normal.

2020-06-12_04h25_32.jpg.11386e62f54b14547c3a9d5215f68fa3.jpg

Better close the roads to all, as this is more fatal than the Scamdemic.

After that ensure that all drivers have their licences and medical insurance including a "see if I got a brain test" and sign in on the unintrusive Compulsory Thai drivers App, this then should stop this carnage from spreading throughout the country. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, SkyFax said:

According to this graph from the linked NYTimes article, other than the 4% / 1800 increase for March, the other first 6 months of 2020 show deaths and anticipated deaths at normal or below normal.

2020-06-12_04h25_32.jpg.11386e62f54b14547c3a9d5215f68fa3.jpg

Those graphs are misleading. The article says only the month of March was looked at.

That being said, I retract my use of this article until I see their methods and sources for Thailand. They have provided sources for all other countries. Thailand is omitted from their sources page. They also provided a raw data file which shows all the data for each country. Again, the Thai data is missing. I have contacted the NYT to point this out and request the missing information. Having received no clarification, I withdraw the use of this article to support the assumption that there have been more deaths here than reported (even though that may not be a bizarre assumption). 

Edited by JCP108

5 hours ago, BobbyL said:

The shocking annual cull on the roads here. Nothing at all has been put in place to try and lower this abhorrent statistic. 

The enforcement of road rules by BIB would be a start.

A couple of days ago I stood at a pedestrian crossing waiting to cross. I saw 2 police on a motorbike and thought this is my chance. Stupid me as they nearly bowled me over as they zoomed by. So in short nothing will change as long as the wolves are guarding henhouse.

A spelling/grammar police troll post has been removed. 

Forum Netiquette:

3. If possible please proofread your post first, poor grammar and spelling can make the post difficult to understand. However be aware that not every member is a native English speaker and excessive posts regarding others spelling and grammar not only hijacks the topic but is poor netiquette.