Thai road carnage: Year death toll to date tops 6,000

Thai road carnage: Year death toll to date tops 6,000

sheets.JPG

Image: Daily News

Thai media Daily News reported yesterday that the death toll at the scene of accidents in Thailand since the beginning of the year now stands at 6,120.

Another 43 died at the scene on Wednesday. They cautioned that the figure was likely to rise when all reports are tallied. 

In their headline they cautioned not to drive fast even though roads might be empty. 

As part of their campaign to raise awareness they reported on an accident on Route 117 in Phitsanulok in the north of Thailand when a Honda Civic slammed into a tree. 

Two bodies were under cloth by the roadside as foundation rescue officials arranged the possessions of the dead. 

So far in June 423 have died at the scene. 

Thailand's death toll is believed to be much higher than these figures suggest with even government leaders accepting it surpasses 20,000 per year.

Most estimates put the figure at between 24,000 and 26,000 annually when all deaths at hospitals and on the way to hospitals are added, notes Thaivisa.

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-06-13

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

58 deaths due to a type of flu and the country shuts down destroying their economy and the livelihoods of millions of Thais. Approximately 1 death every 2.5 days. 6000 deaths this year in road deat

I wonder how many are motorbike deaths of underage, unlicenced kids. 

To date, 100x the death toll from Covid, yet few are talking about it and the administration incompetents are still doing nothing about it.    They could start with a highway patrol that act

Posted Images

that death toll is vastly reduced from the norm over almost 6 months yet overall deaths in Thailand remain slightly less than normal, I wonder what they died from if not on the roads ?

anybody want to guess

• Haha 1

In my opinion, there are two things that have to change if things are to improve. Firstly, the rules of the road have to be actually applied to the super rich and those in positions of authority. No one should be above the law. And secondly the rest of the general public have abandon their 'sabai sabai' mindset.  

• Haha 1
27 minutes ago, smedly said:

that death toll is vastly reduced from the norm over almost 6 months yet overall deaths in Thailand remain slightly less than normal, I wonder what they died from if not on the roads ?

anybody want to guess

According to the NYT, deaths in Thailand in March were 4% above normal...

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/04/21/world/coronavirus-missing-deaths.html

exactly my point

road deaths vastly reduced yet overall deaths have not decreased (4% increase) assuming that figure to be around 5000 per month x 6 that is 30000 deaths over 6 months

• Like 2