Anyone with a Honda Adv 150 - how is the suspension ?

juanzo

Hey all,

My Yamaha n-Max is simply bumping me around on the city streets and I want something of similar size but has a softer suspension.

Are their any ADV 150 owners out there that can comment on ride comfort?  As a side question, can you fit a full-size helmet under the seat?

Many thanks...

I had yss front forks and rear shocks upgraded but I still feel every bump in the road.  The ADV 150 has a longer length of suspension travel and showa gas shocks stock, so I figured it would absorb bumps better.  

I may be best to see if any of the Chiang Mai scooter rental shops have any to rent and test drive one for myself.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, papa al said:

It will ride smoother

if you have a hefty girl riding behind.

Too big you might bottom out,

so experiment.

Or just run lower air pressure

which helps a lot.

But not too low.

The middle path.

:wai:

Yeah on my scoot I keep psi high because low pressure on rim inner tube tyres will split quickly enough at the valve outlet position.

My big bike with tubeless is very different I have multi adjustable suspension and recommended tyre pressures, so I set everything up to my ride comfort on the Thailand roads and I always have low tyre pressures on my blade.

When a nice smooth bit of road turns up thats a bonus. ????

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, iamariva1957 said:

On a somewhat related note... I have to brighten up a Honda Wave 100cc older bike with new plastics up front and front sides. Anyone know where to order them. Some are cracked and just old. All in blue?

Did the same. Cheap as chips. Went to one of the bigger bike fixing shops and they either order it for you or even have it on the shelf

• Like 1

Hello

I have a tyre pressure pen and set my bike about 30psi runs very well now, but I've been to small garages by the side of the road and got them to put some air in my tyre's when I checked it had about 70psi, he said its better for Thai roads so I tried it and the bike was bouncing down the road, I would suggest check the pressure your self, oh yes the gauges in the road shops don't exist there they kick the tyre and say OK farlang bye bye

• Haha 1

On 6/14/2020 at 6:31 PM, SS1 said:

The ADV-150 is an excellent scooter particularly because of its suspension. You can fit a full-face helmet under the seat (depending on its size) but it's a bit tight. I wrote a long review some time ago in another group, copied it here. 

Bought the new ADV150 a week ago and promised some people here a proper review. When it first came out, I was a little sceptical, wondering if it’ll be just another PCX with fancier fairings. But damn, I was wrong: this thing is the best scooter I’ve ever tried.
I was already saying years ago why can’t they make a small scooter with offroad suspension or like a mix between a scooter and a supermoto. The roads here seem to be getting worse by the day and personally, I always use some <deleted>ty backroads to beat the traffic jams. There is nothing I hate more than having to slow down for bumps and potholes. Finally, Honda came up with a concept that’s simply perfect for Bangkok roads. To put things into perspective, I’m used to riding the Aerox 155, BMW S1000R and KTM 690 SMC-R, and have had/tried a Click, PCX and Nmax too. This little machine simply beats them all big time for commuting in Bangkok. (except the KTM, of course)
The highlight of this bike is the suspension. Out of all the bikes, it’s closest to the KTM on how it feels when riding over rough road surfaces. Compared to other scooters or the BMW, it feels like I’m riding on a pillow. The suspension just eats every road imperfection like a boss and once you get a bigger bump, you just stand up and hop over it. On bits of road where I’d normally slow down to 20-40km/h on the Aerox or S1000R, I just fly over at 100km/h with a grin on my face. It’s also very comfortable for riding with a passenger (or two) and the girlfriend can confirm. There is no problem taking it a little offroad either or climbing on / jumping off sidewalks and curbs.
Secondly, the brakes are the best brakes I’ve seen on a small scooter. The front brake is strong and works flawlessly compared to cheaper scooters that suffer from the ABS system engaging too quick or staying on too long. The front ABS lets the tyres squeal and stops the bike almost like it hits a wall. The feeling of the ABS is closer to my S1000R than e.g. the Aerox 155. It’s got a disk brake on the rear as well, thankfully without ABS as an “ADV” bike should.
I have absolutely no problem filtering quickly with the scooter in tight Bangkok traffic jams. The turning radius is steep and it feels very nimble. At first, I thought the wide handlebar could be a problem, but no issues at all. It’s actually great because it’s the widest point of the bike, so you use it to measure where you can fit through. In comparison, the Aerox has a wide ass (centre stand peg + exhaust) so you might scrape a car in a tight spot even if your handlebar fits through. After switching some aftermarket mirrors on (with adjustable angle) I fit into gaps where regular 125/110’s with original mirrors won’t.
You can’t expect much from a cheap 150cc engine but I must say it’s very slow out of the box. Compared to my Aerox with some variator mods, it felt really sluggish. The top speed is around 118km/h which is almost enough for BKK, but it gets there so slowly it feels boring and is dangerous when overtaking cars. I went to ร้าน Set By..Sar โชคชัย4/44 who gave me a modded ADV150 to try. Told them to copy whatever they did there and after upgrading the air intake, throttle body and modifying the pulley, it was completely transformed. Now it accelerates like crazy (for a scooter) and is a total blast to ride. Cost: 5500 baht.
Overall it’s got a very sturdy feeling to it thanks to the big handlebar, is very comfortable to ride and can also accommodate a taller rider. I’m 175cm and have like 40cm left in front of my knees. It feels safe riding at top speed, unlike other scooters that get a bit unstable and scary. The seat and riding position is very comfortable for both the rider and pillion. It’s got all the stuff that modern bikes should, including keyless ignition, idle-stop and 12v socket for USB charger etc. It has a 28-litre underseat storage and another box in the front that perfectly fits a small handgun or a couple of 7-Eleven sandwiches.
The only thing I don’t like about it is the underseat storage. You’re supposed to fit a full-face helmet in but with a regular medium-sized SHARK helmet, the lid has to be forced shut, which certainly won’t do any good for your helmet. It also has a backup lock so you can open it with a generic plastic key in case your battery is out, so when you leave it parked with your 15,000 baht helmet anyone with that kind of hex key can come to steal it. Also, the front storage is another flimsy piece of plastic that doesn’t lock. At least it’s facing down, so your sandwich won’t fall out in case it accidentally opens.
I wouldn’t actually use this bike for "adventures" out of town since it won’t be fast enough for the highway, but it’s the best commuter for Bangkok you can find. I realise I’ve just written an essay raving about a goddamn 150cc scooter so maybe that will give you an idea on how good it is ????. Highly recommend getting one if you’re currently in the market for a scooter.

thanks much for the very detailed review!

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/14/2020 at 6:31 PM, SS1 said:

The ADV-150 is an excellent scooter particularly because of its suspension. You can fit a full-face helmet under the seat (depending on its size) but it's a bit tight. I wrote a long review some time ago in another group, copied it here. 

Bought the new ADV150 a week ago and promised some people here a proper review. When it first came out, I was a little sceptical, wondering if it’ll be just another PCX with fancier fairings. But damn, I was wrong: this thing is the best scooter I’ve ever tried.
I was already saying years ago why can’t they make a small scooter with offroad suspension or like a mix between a scooter and a supermoto. The roads here seem to be getting worse by the day and personally, I always use some <deleted>ty backroads to beat the traffic jams. There is nothing I hate more than having to slow down for bumps and potholes. Finally, Honda came up with a concept that’s simply perfect for Bangkok roads. To put things into perspective, I’m used to riding the Aerox 155, BMW S1000R and KTM 690 SMC-R, and have had/tried a Click, PCX and Nmax too. This little machine simply beats them all big time for commuting in Bangkok. (except the KTM, of course)
The highlight of this bike is the suspension. Out of all the bikes, it’s closest to the KTM on how it feels when riding over rough road surfaces. Compared to other scooters or the BMW, it feels like I’m riding on a pillow. The suspension just eats every road imperfection like a boss and once you get a bigger bump, you just stand up and hop over it. On bits of road where I’d normally slow down to 20-40km/h on the Aerox or S1000R, I just fly over at 100km/h with a grin on my face. It’s also very comfortable for riding with a passenger (or two) and the girlfriend can confirm. There is no problem taking it a little offroad either or climbing on / jumping off sidewalks and curbs.
Secondly, the brakes are the best brakes I’ve seen on a small scooter. The front brake is strong and works flawlessly compared to cheaper scooters that suffer from the ABS system engaging too quick or staying on too long. The front ABS lets the tyres squeal and stops the bike almost like it hits a wall. The feeling of the ABS is closer to my S1000R than e.g. the Aerox 155. It’s got a disk brake on the rear as well, thankfully without ABS as an “ADV” bike should.
I have absolutely no problem filtering quickly with the scooter in tight Bangkok traffic jams. The turning radius is steep and it feels very nimble. At first, I thought the wide handlebar could be a problem, but no issues at all. It’s actually great because it’s the widest point of the bike, so you use it to measure where you can fit through. In comparison, the Aerox has a wide ass (centre stand peg + exhaust) so you might scrape a car in a tight spot even if your handlebar fits through. After switching some aftermarket mirrors on (with adjustable angle) I fit into gaps where regular 125/110’s with original mirrors won’t.
You can’t expect much from a cheap 150cc engine but I must say it’s very slow out of the box. Compared to my Aerox with some variator mods, it felt really sluggish. The top speed is around 118km/h which is almost enough for BKK, but it gets there so slowly it feels boring and is dangerous when overtaking cars. I went to ร้าน Set By..Sar โชคชัย4/44 who gave me a modded ADV150 to try. Told them to copy whatever they did there and after upgrading the air intake, throttle body and modifying the pulley, it was completely transformed. Now it accelerates like crazy (for a scooter) and is a total blast to ride. Cost: 5500 baht.
Overall it’s got a very sturdy feeling to it thanks to the big handlebar, is very comfortable to ride and can also accommodate a taller rider. I’m 175cm and have like 40cm left in front of my knees. It feels safe riding at top speed, unlike other scooters that get a bit unstable and scary. The seat and riding position is very comfortable for both the rider and pillion. It’s got all the stuff that modern bikes should, including keyless ignition, idle-stop and 12v socket for USB charger etc. It has a 28-litre underseat storage and another box in the front that perfectly fits a small handgun or a couple of 7-Eleven sandwiches.
The only thing I don’t like about it is the underseat storage. You’re supposed to fit a full-face helmet in but with a regular medium-sized SHARK helmet, the lid has to be forced shut, which certainly won’t do any good for your helmet. It also has a backup lock so you can open it with a generic plastic key in case your battery is out, so when you leave it parked with your 15,000 baht helmet anyone with that kind of hex key can come to steal it. Also, the front storage is another flimsy piece of plastic that doesn’t lock. At least it’s facing down, so your sandwich won’t fall out in case it accidentally opens.
I wouldn’t actually use this bike for "adventures" out of town since it won’t be fast enough for the highway, but it’s the best commuter for Bangkok you can find. I realise I’ve just written an essay raving about a goddamn 150cc scooter so maybe that will give you an idea on how good it is ????. Highly recommend getting one if you’re currently in the market for a scooter.

This was the info I was looking for, thank you so much.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 10/1/2020 at 10:25 PM, Xonax said:

I just got the new 2021 Honda ADV 150 yesterday and I am extremely pleased with how it drives and handles. The suspension is great, like on a bigger bike and the bike is perfectly balanced, opposed to my old PCX 150, which was horrible to ride. The only disadvantage is the limited storage space under the seat, which doesn´t fit a large full-face helmet. I wanted this bike badly, so I had to buy a new and smaller helmet for it as well.

rack / 33L Givi box - ( c. 990b & 1,300b Lazada ) - ploblem solved...

Great for shopping too.....And suits the style of the bike (imho)..

120729466_743454852900770_1805553524891693569_n.jpg

• Like 1

On 10/1/2020 at 10:25 PM, Xonax said:

I just got the new 2021 Honda ADV 150 yesterday and I am extremely pleased with how it drives and handles. The suspension is great, like on a bigger bike and the bike is perfectly balanced, opposed to my old PCX 150, which was horrible to ride. The only disadvantage is the limited storage space under the seat, which doesn´t fit a large full-face helmet. I wanted this bike badly, so I had to buy a new and smaller helmet for it as well.

Different people different stokes, I find my old pcx150 (1st gen) very comfortable to ride for what it is, a city hopper. Have a large top-box on it, it can take a case of beers if needed.

Had a sit on a ADV and it felt very bad for me, so there you are.

• Haha 1

https://www.autospinn.com/2020/04/review-2020-honda-adv150-78260

This is a very detailed Thai review - unusual..., need translator...., it also mentioned at the end of a next model, many think/hope there will be a ADV300/350cc at some point...!

We rented this bike with a friend and I rode it for an hour. Can't fault it, I didn't even know it has ABS on front brake (not back though).

My only small complaint was legroom, the vertical footrest at the end of horizontal footrest is badly designed, wrong angle and very small, unless you have foot size 5 of a girl...!? It's really Asian size that bit...!

Other than that, very smooth and handles great...

On 10/11/2020 at 10:52 AM, Agusts said:

https://www.autospinn.com/2020/04/review-2020-honda-adv150-78260

This is a very detailed Thai review - unusual..., need translator...., it also mentioned at the end of a next model, many think/hope there will be a ADV300/350cc at some point...!

We rented this bike with a friend and I rode it for an hour. Can't fault it, I didn't even know it has ABS on front brake (not back though).

My only small complaint was legroom, the vertical footrest at the end of horizontal footrest is badly designed, wrong angle and very small, unless you have foot size 5 of a girl...!? It's really Asian size that bit...!

Other than that, very smooth and handles great...

I spoke to the manager of The big honda dealers by the Honda factory in Bowin, last week about when the ADV300 / 350 was coming out ..... he knew nothing about it !  .  lol...

i do hope it isn't the same pie in the sky that has been threatening a CRF 300 for several years !

• Like 1