Anyone with a Honda Adv 150 - how is the suspension ?

juanzo

The new colour from November 2021 models seem to be everywhere now, even Khanom where I am. Problem was I wanted the 2020 one with the stripes in red and managed to find the last one in Nakhon Si Thammarat. The white 2020 model also looks really nice. Not sure why they've gone down the plain route with the new colour options.

Love everything about it but agree it needs a bit more poke in acceleration. We have a lot of Thai tourists here who seem to drive very slowly then accelerate when you try to pass.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, kebabby said:

The new colour from November 2021 models seem to be everywhere now, even Khanom where I am. Problem was I wanted the 2020 one with the stripes in red and managed to find the last one in Nakhon Si Thammarat. The white 2020 model also looks really nice. Not sure why they've gone down the plain route with the new colour options.

Love everything about it but agree it needs a bit more poke in acceleration. We have a lot of Thai tourists here who seem to drive very slowly then accelerate when you try to pass.

The ADV is not as quick off the mark and mid range as the equilivant PCX - even though they've got the same engine .... Honda have made alterations to the clutch / variator sections in their infinate wisdom ..

A standard Aerox is a fair bit quicker off the mark / mid range than a standard ADV 150, pretty infuriating really as the Aerox is significantly cheaper .....

The way forward is to fettle the ADV, but one has to be very careful, as some mods can spoil what is a very nice scooter ....

• Like 1

On 6/14/2020 at 6:31 PM, SS1 said:

The ADV-150 is an excellent scooter particularly because of its suspension. You can fit a full-face helmet under the seat (depending on its size) but it's a bit tight. I wrote a long review some time ago in another group, copied it here. 

Bought the new ADV150 a week ago and promised some people here a proper review. When it first came out, I was a little sceptical, wondering if it’ll be just another PCX with fancier fairings. But damn, I was wrong: this thing is the best scooter I’ve ever tried.
I was already saying years ago why can’t they make a small scooter with offroad suspension or like a mix between a scooter and a supermoto. The roads here seem to be getting worse by the day and personally, I always use some <deleted>ty backroads to beat the traffic jams. There is nothing I hate more than having to slow down for bumps and potholes. Finally, Honda came up with a concept that’s simply perfect for Bangkok roads. To put things into perspective, I’m used to riding the Aerox 155, BMW S1000R and KTM 690 SMC-R, and have had/tried a Click, PCX and Nmax too. This little machine simply beats them all big time for commuting in Bangkok. (except the KTM, of course)
The highlight of this bike is the suspension. Out of all the bikes, it’s closest to the KTM on how it feels when riding over rough road surfaces. Compared to other scooters or the BMW, it feels like I’m riding on a pillow. The suspension just eats every road imperfection like a boss and once you get a bigger bump, you just stand up and hop over it. On bits of road where I’d normally slow down to 20-40km/h on the Aerox or S1000R, I just fly over at 100km/h with a grin on my face. It’s also very comfortable for riding with a passenger (or two) and the girlfriend can confirm. There is no problem taking it a little offroad either or climbing on / jumping off sidewalks and curbs.
Secondly, the brakes are the best brakes I’ve seen on a small scooter. The front brake is strong and works flawlessly compared to cheaper scooters that suffer from the ABS system engaging too quick or staying on too long. The front ABS lets the tyres squeal and stops the bike almost like it hits a wall. The feeling of the ABS is closer to my S1000R than e.g. the Aerox 155. It’s got a disk brake on the rear as well, thankfully without ABS as an “ADV” bike should.
I have absolutely no problem filtering quickly with the scooter in tight Bangkok traffic jams. The turning radius is steep and it feels very nimble. At first, I thought the wide handlebar could be a problem, but no issues at all. It’s actually great because it’s the widest point of the bike, so you use it to measure where you can fit through. In comparison, the Aerox has a wide ass (centre stand peg + exhaust) so you might scrape a car in a tight spot even if your handlebar fits through. After switching some aftermarket mirrors on (with adjustable angle) I fit into gaps where regular 125/110’s with original mirrors won’t.
You can’t expect much from a cheap 150cc engine but I must say it’s very slow out of the box. Compared to my Aerox with some variator mods, it felt really sluggish. The top speed is around 118km/h which is almost enough for BKK, but it gets there so slowly it feels boring and is dangerous when overtaking cars. I went to ร้าน Set By..Sar โชคชัย4/44 who gave me a modded ADV150 to try. Told them to copy whatever they did there and after upgrading the air intake, throttle body and modifying the pulley, it was completely transformed. Now it accelerates like crazy (for a scooter) and is a total blast to ride. Cost: 5500 baht.
Overall it’s got a very sturdy feeling to it thanks to the big handlebar, is very comfortable to ride and can also accommodate a taller rider. I’m 175cm and have like 40cm left in front of my knees. It feels safe riding at top speed, unlike other scooters that get a bit unstable and scary. The seat and riding position is very comfortable for both the rider and pillion. It’s got all the stuff that modern bikes should, including keyless ignition, idle-stop and 12v socket for USB charger etc. It has a 28-litre underseat storage and another box in the front that perfectly fits a small handgun or a couple of 7-Eleven sandwiches.
The only thing I don’t like about it is the underseat storage. You’re supposed to fit a full-face helmet in but with a regular medium-sized SHARK helmet, the lid has to be forced shut, which certainly won’t do any good for your helmet. It also has a backup lock so you can open it with a generic plastic key in case your battery is out, so when you leave it parked with your 15,000 baht helmet anyone with that kind of hex key can come to steal it. Also, the front storage is another flimsy piece of plastic that doesn’t lock. At least it’s facing down, so your sandwich won’t fall out in case it accidentally opens.
I wouldn’t actually use this bike for "adventures" out of town since it won’t be fast enough for the highway, but it’s the best commuter for Bangkok you can find. I realise I’ve just written an essay raving about a goddamn 150cc scooter so maybe that will give you an idea on how good it is ????. Highly recommend getting one if you’re currently in the market for a scooter.

Can you compare the ADV150 suspension with the Forza 300?

2 hours ago, Somnambulist said:

These are very different scooters, Forza is very much heavier and more power. Ideal for long distance, but a bit bulky in town, although I manage on my occasional city traffic on my Forza 2016 model, note that the 2018+ models have higher seat and bigger wheels and maybe more difficult to flat foot and move it around in small spaces...(I'm about 5 10).

I just came back from a few days 800km round trip, and it was a pleasure riding this, it's really comfortable and like seating in a car than a bike, with all the pleasures of the latter..., every time I go on a trip I'm more convinced I shouldn't get any other bike really...! 

My friend has an Aerox R, he rented an ADV150 for a day to test it, at the end he decided to stick with his scooter, more sporty , bigger tyres, more comfy for tall farang, better handling/cornering and more power - and so much cheaper... ????

As it happened I rode that ADV150 for like 60km, it was a bit cramped for my legs, and of course I missed my Forza power and speed, but otherwise it's a great scooter, light and smooth, seating position is okay, good windshield and wide flick-able handlebar, unlike PCX/Nmax handlebar.

As for suspension comparison hard to say, it's very good I would say a bit better than mine as I could not feel any bumps, but I have my back shock pre-load to the max or stiffest setting for better cornering, so with Forza heavy weight and small wheels I can feel the putholes quite a bit...

All in all if you don't mind a bit bigger heavier bike, and would use it more out of town, or two up, Forza is a no brainier (specially used older models are going cheap), for the city and smaller guys/girls ADV150 or Aerox  ...

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/9/2020 at 2:55 PM, Somnambulist said:

I have never tried the Forza 300. I have tried the Xmax 300 and I didn't like it at all in stock form. It felt as slow as a 150 for acceleration, with lots of extra weight. I prefer a lightweight bike for Bangkok traffic jams. If living in another city in Thailand, I would consider a 300 for a daily. Maybe wait for the ADV 300?

• 3 weeks later...

@soi3eddie excellent video and a very through review, you should do it for a living mate....! ????

A few things; kick-start might not work with flat battery on fuel injection bikes, hence they don't put it anymore...

When we tried this bike one thing we noticed was the dash is a bit hard to see in bright sun light, I think it shows on your video too, but many bikes are like that..., need that TFT screen on premium bikes...!

Good insurance info and explanation and cost...????

I'm glad you can put your laptop under the seat, under mine on my (old model) Forza gets very hot very quickly, not sure if all are like this but I try to avoid putting any electronics, specially forget chocolates...????

I'm glad you like the performance mods, usually when they improve acceleration, we lose top speed on CVT, but they seem to have done a good job on yours, please mention the cost ...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
11 hours ago, kebabby said:

@soi3eddie. Apparently, the ADV weights are 20g and the PCX uses 18g, changing to 18g will give you some acceleration gain, but fitting a yellow clutch spring and removing snorkel and fitting a sports air filter improves things even more. Also suggested to change to carbon clutch pads / grooved clutch cover to get the power down onto the road will less slipping.

Where do you find such info ? - did the guy who did the mods allow you to ride his ADV, so you could do a comparison ?

Edited by piston broke
  • Thanks 1

No, it was on a  forum in the USA but he did say that the acceleration was brilliant and it didn't affect the overall running of the bike. I did ask for more information but he never came back. Apparently the yellow clutch spring is from the PCX as well. There's also a few videos on Youtube about it. I'll have a go at changing the weights and clutch spring and see how it goes. You can buy them on Shopee, the weights search for เม็ดตุ้ม. The clutch spring สปริงคลัทช์.

On 3/29/2021 at 8:09 AM, kebabby said:

@soi3eddie Great video, would have been nice to see this before buying mine. Quite happy with mine but performance needs improving, unfortunately there doesn't seem to be anyone local in my area who does this upgrade. I've been looking at videos to do myself with upgrading the air filter and weights. Apparently, the ADV weights are 20g and the PCX uses 18g, changing to 18g will give you some acceleration gain, but fitting a yellow clutch spring and removing snorkel and fitting a sports air filter improves things even more. Also suggested to change to carbon clutch pads / grooved clutch cover to get the power down onto the road will less slipping.

I just wonder if you have any experience with the paintwork? Mine came really badly cleaned from the dealer, I have the red and black and there is swirling on the paintwork and scratching on the instrument panel clear plastic. I used a really mild polish to remove the swirling and it immediately took off the red and black paint - so I presume there is no clear coat applied because if I use the same product on my Pajero - it doesn't pick up any colour at all. I complained to the dealer about the scratching and they blamed me, this was despite me pointing to one of their guys cleaning a bike with a filthy sponge and cloth in an old oil container. Honda not interested.

Anyway, my advice is to get some form of protective coating on your ADV's. I did mine with Meguiars Hybrid Ceramic Wax (1039 baht for 16floz) and will do the bike hundreds of times I reckon. I also purchased the Wolfgang Uber Sio2 Rinseless Wash (330 baht for 8floz) as you can also dilute 3floz to 1 gallon to make a really cheap detailing spray. I live right by the sea so have to look after the bike and car.

I immediately upgraded the air filter to a stainless type (sold at around 700 baht on Shopee), which improved the acceleration a lot, but unfortunately also incresed the intake / exhaust noise a level. Now I don´t need more accelleration, but the top speed could be better. The air filter is very simple to change by yourself.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Xonax said:

I immediately upgraded the air filter to a stainless type (sold at around 700 baht on Shopee), which improved the acceleration a lot, but unfortunately also incresed the intake / exhaust noise a level. Now I don´t need more accelleration, but the top speed could be better. The air filter is very simple to change by yourself.

My top speed seems to max out at indicated 116 kph. Seems like it's a rev limiter. The acceleration from 90 to 110 is great for zipping past trucks and other vehicles. I'm going early for the 12,000 km service next week where they'll replace the spark plug and filters. I'll ask them about top speed increase.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, kebabby said:

On another note, is anyone able to charge their phone from the power socket with a USB adapter? I was told it wasn't powerful enough in the shop but I've heard people doing it on a PCX.

No problem charging a phone (I use Samsung S9 and S20) from the power socket. It's 12v and has plenty of power. Most important is to use a decent quality USB adaptor and cable. The Honda OEM phone holder accesories are excellent and securely grip most smartphones. You can see the holders on my video here. I forgot to show the power outlet which is located under a water resistant cover on the left of the bike.  

• 10 months later...
17 minutes ago, Chapman2022 said:

Hi there,

somebody mentioned a Line contact @Set by Sar.

Just recently bought an ADV150 and would like to get some mods installed - unfortunately, I don't speak any Thai so English would be a huge help ????

Best Regards

Set by Sar Google Maps has full details. The guy there is ODD and he speaks English.  092 669 3559

Edited by soi3eddie
  • Like 1