Problems with Nvidia Shield 2017 and Express VPN

Mama Noodle

Is anyone else using the above android box with Express VPN to watch USA Netflix, Hulu, and Prime? 

Over the last couple of months ive been having serious issues with the apps not loading and getting error codes. If I Uninstall all updates for the apps, they work again but Amazon Prime Video has a disclaimer that 4k wont work unless I update the app. 

And USA Netflix has been forever SLOW - buffering and not coming out of SD quality playback. 

I recently swapped to TorGuard Fixed IP service and all issues are resolved but with a slower overall speed but I still get fast 4k playback. 

Im starting to think not enough people use the Nvidia Shield so it isnt getting as much attention update wise as other boxes. 

Seriously debating buying an Amazon Fire TV 4k Stick to see if it works better, but im very reluctant as its only Wifi (with 5G) and the adapters (micro USB) for a LAN connection are only 10/100 speeds - I have a 1000 Mbps Connection. 

Anyone else using any of the above boxes care to comment? 

I am using nvidia shield, but a newer version. No problems  at all. But I am not using an US netflix just the Thai one. 

I have all my updates still works really fast no problems at all. I had an amazon firestick before the NVDIA wins hands down. (just my opninion)

• Thanks 1

I have the early Nvidia Shield Pro with 500GB HD. 2015 model I think. 

I also use ExpressVPN. I have had no problems whatsoever streaming the US version of Netflix via LA. In fact I always leave VPN turned on and connected to LA.

The only thing I ever do is turn it off when updating any apps. Otherwise takes forever updating.

I only have a 1080 UHD TV though, so can't comment on 4K.

A 65" QLED 4K Samsung is on my shopping list for next trip to BKK.

Edited by phetphet
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, phetphet said:

I have the early Nvidia Shield Pro with 500GB HD. 2015 model I think. 

I also use ExpressVPN. I have had no problems whatsoever streaming the US version of Netflix via LA. In fact I always leave VPN turned on and connected to LA.

The only thing I ever do is turn it off when updating any apps. Otherwise takes forever updating.

I only have a 1080 UHD TV though, so can't comment on 4K.

I do exactly what you do and I cant get netflix to run very well at all. 

Can I ask you what versions of Netflix, the Shields OS, and the ExpressVPN app you are using?

23 hours ago, phetphet said:

A 65" QLED 4K Samsung is on my shopping list for next trip to BKK.

I bought my 75" Samsung on Lazada believe it or not, best price I could find and delivered. 

I have both the 2017 Shield and the 4k Firestick.

Use Express vpn on both with no problems at all.

In my opinion the Nvidia Shield is far superior to the 4k Firestick. 4k firestick is only used for when I travel. Shield is used everyday for streaming movies, music, Plex etc and it is a superb device.

Have you uninstalled and reinstalled Express vpn?

As a last resort have you considered doing a factory reset on your Shield as this may resolve your problems.

Edited by tlcwaterfall