Thaiairways Bankrupt?

Hello,

It happens to me last March when I like to go back from Hong Kong to Thailand.

Unfortunately my flight was cancelled by Thaiairways because the covid-19.

Only Thai people where allowed to take the airplaine.

However I found another way to get back via Malaysia.

The next day I claimed my ticket at Thai, and after a couple of days they answering me, they will give me the money back bud because  of the crowds it will take 3 months.

Who outlines my surprise, yesterday I got an email from them that they are bank rupt and for that reason I have to say goodbye to my money.

But as far as I understand Thaiairways in not bankrupt? Or I'm wrong.

My question is, are there more people who get this email?

Thaiair.png

THAI is bankrupt, that's what this letter states. As a ticket holder you would likely fall into the unsecured creditor pool of creditors. Your money may not be lost, but unlikely to get back 100% and the timing will be long - probably over a year. 

I don't know if they are offering the option, but you may be better off taking a credit for a future flight when they start flying. 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, blackcab said:

I got the same email. Thai Airways don't owe me any cash, and I have no flights booked with them.

I do have enough air miles for a return business class ticket to the UK though.

Would you not be able to use your Thai Airways Royal Orchid air miles on one of the other partner airlines of the Star Alliance?

OK so that's what it was. I didn't recognise the email address and I wasn't about to open any attachments, I reported it as spam and deleted.

I've no flights booked, but I do have a swag of air miles.

Edited by Stocky

9 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Would you not be able to use your Thai Airways Royal Orchid air miles on one of the other partner airlines of the Star Alliance?

Hopefully. However Thai will have to reimburse their partner airline and might not be in a position to do so...

Let's see how it pans out when flights and re-entry into Thailand are as bit more settled.

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Stocky said:

Miles are a form of currency, and have value, or at least they did. Hence you are a creditor.

TG ROP miles are probably useless.

Maybe you'll be able redeem an award flight on TG, but I wouldn't count on any *A awards.

ROP transitions to RIP.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Stocky said:

OK so that's what it was. I didn't recognise the email address and I wasn't about to open any attachments, I reported it as spam and deleted.

Similar here, although I thought it was a summons....."Bankruptcycourt_noreply"

3 hours ago, Peterphuket said:

Who outlines my surprise, yesterday I got an email from them that they are bank rupt and for that reason I have to say goodbye to my money.

But as far as I understand Thaiairways in not bankrupt? Or I'm wrong.

The email that you showed (the re-organisation petition) does not state that "THAI is bankrupt", neither does it say that you "have to say goodbye to your money".

You are right, though, when you say that THAI is not (technically) bankrupt yet, that notice issued by the court is just advising creditors that if they have any objections to the proposed action they can register that objection.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

I truly hope that with the airline being bankrupt, ALL thai airways future landing slots will have to be paid for in advance !

Why would you hope for that?  Do you rent out those "future landing spots" [sic]? 

What is a "rented landing spot"?

Edited by Bob A Kneale
  • Sad 3

On 6/13/2020 at 1:37 PM, Stocky said:

To be honestly I get more the idea it is spam, today I got it for the 3th time.

On 6/14/2020 at 5:32 PM, Peterphuket said:

To be honestly I get more the idea it is spam, today I got it for the 3th time.

I have yet to receive the email in question even once, despite having a couple of flights with THAI booked for firstly 4 weeks ago and secondly last week, which, needless to say, were both cancelled! According to the following link (which definitely seems worth reading) it originated from the Bankruptcy Court rather than THAI themselves:-

https://loyaltylobby.com/2020/06/15/thai-airways-bankruptcy-court-email-to-passengers/

Edited by OJAS
  • Thanks 1

On 6/13/2020 at 4:14 PM, Bob A Kneale said:

Why would you hope for that?  Do you rent out those "future landing spots" [sic]? 

What is a "rented landing spot"?

Those landing and flight spots are expensive and valuable but the belong to each country. There is usually a waiting list to get them and if one airline fails or is bankrupted they lose the slots which either go to the next airline on the list or to the highest bidder.

Because if the airline does become bankrupt the landing spot, fuel, servicing, food etc will have to be paid for by someone, and unless the aircraft captain has a lot of credit on his card, the authorities at the other end may well legally impound the aircraft until the bill is paid.

There was a Thai aircraft a while ago which was impounded by the German authorities because of unpaid bills and was only freed on the payment of those bills.

I am quite sure that if Thai aircraft were to be impounded for non payment of bills then the Thai government may decide on retaliation which may not prove a good idea.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, billd766 said:

I am quite sure that if Thai aircraft were to be impounded for non payment of bills then the Thai government may decide on retaliation which may not prove a good idea.

But presumably THAI will be filing for bankruptcy protection (if they haven't already done so) in those countries where it currently has aircraft parked up so as to prevent their seizure (to the extent that local bankruptcy laws permit such actions, of course)?

They may not, however, be seeking bankruptcy protection in the USA given that they don't have any aircraft currently parked up there, if the following link is to be believed:-

https://thethaiger.com/news/business/thai-airways-may-not-need-to-file-for-bankruptcy-in-us

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 1

Did anybody read the date at the bottom of the letter?  Today in Canada it is the 18th June 2020 and at the bottom of the letter it states "ANNOUNCED ON JUNE 19TH 2020. or did everybody miss that.  There is no date at the top which is where there should be one, so take it from there.

'nuf sed.

On 6/13/2020 at 4:02 PM, Bob A Kneale said:

The email that you showed (the re-organisation petition) does not state that "THAI is bankrupt", neither does it say that you "have to say goodbye to your money".

You are right, though, when you say that THAI is not (technically) bankrupt yet, that notice issued by the court is just advising creditors that if they have any objections to the proposed action they can register that objection.

THAI filed for reorganization under the country's bankruptcy law, which is a kind of bankruptcy filing. I believe it means they have more debts than assets, and are hoping/expecting that the court will forgive or reduce some of their debts and thus allow them to remain an operating (barely) airline.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On ‎6‎/‎13‎/‎2020 at 1:08 PM, blackcab said:

I got the same email. Thai Airways don't owe me any cash, and I have no flights booked with them.

I do have enough air miles for a return business class ticket to the UK though.

you can  kiss your miles accrued goodbye.

• Like 1

On 6/13/2020 at 4:26 PM, Peter Denis said:

The worlds airlines are all in such a parlous financial state, I doubt any reciprocal agreements will be honoured within the foreseeable future .

QANTA has announced no international flights until March 2021

• 3 months later...

@Peterphuket Have you seen this thread on the Thailand Travel Forum about registering an online debt repayment claim (much good that this is likely to do, though, in practice)? The clock is ticking and the registration deadine is due to expire tomorrow (2nd November)!

Edited by OJAS

On 6/13/2020 at 2:40 AM, blackcab said:

Hopefully. However Thai will have to reimburse their partner airline and might not be in a position to do so...

Let's see how it pans out when flights and re-entry into Thailand are as bit more settled.

In all likelihood  the Star Alliance Board(?)  has already revoked the membership of Thai Airways. Only way to be sure is to contact Star Alliance and inquire if they will honour a ticket purchased from Thai Airways.

In my case, I had to purchase new tickets because the originating country airway was placed in the same status as Thai Airways and when I contacted the Star Alliance member airline that would fly the second leg, they informed that they no longer had an agreement under the Star Alliance banner with the originating country airline.    

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/1/2020 at 3:04 PM, oompie69 said:

In all likelihood  the Star Alliance Board(?)  has already revoked the membership of Thai Airways. Only way to be sure is to contact Star Alliance and inquire if they will honour a ticket purchased from Thai Airways.

In my case, I had to purchase new tickets because the originating country airway was placed in the same status as Thai Airways and when I contacted the Star Alliance member airline that would fly the second leg, they informed that they no longer had an agreement under the Star Alliance banner with the originating country airline.    

What airline was that?