Advice Needed

mackayae

I was asked by a NK priest to help an expat (US) living in NK. I have been trying to help without much success. Maybe someone here has some ideas.

The gentleman is married to a Laos lady. He has been in a coma for 3 months and she is taking care of him. They have a Laos marriage certificate. They have been living off his US debit card, however since January access has been denied. I believe the wife inadvertently entered an incorrect PIN causing the account to be locked. I have sent emails and made calls to the bank with no success. My present cause of action is to get the marriage certificate notarized by a US Embassy and then send this to the bank hoping they will let the wife have access to the account. I have been in contact with the US family but they so far have not been much help. I also have been in contact with the US Embassy but they are limited in what they can do. Any thoughts?

If all that is needed is a certified copy of the marriage certificate I would think the Lao consulate in Khon Kaen should be able to do that.

I think it will need to be translated into English as well.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, mackayae said:

Anyone know the Lao KK Consulate's phone number. Their listed numbers are no longer in service. Sent an email no answer. Need to know if the wife has to be their in person.

Have you tried this number 43393402 shown on this map. https://goo.gl/maps/4igQhw5NbaL2yjPo6

It is the same number shown on the Thai MFA site. 

• Like 1

The American Embassy has people living in Thailand that it calls on for different things, like getting the passport from the family of the Deceased etc..... They call them Sheriffs (I know it sounds silly) there are 2 in Udon Thani, Do you want their phone number? They will have someone in NK its just a matter of asking the embassy.  The American Embassy isn't bad (compared to some) I would contact them, they used to have someone drive up this way once a year-----I don't know if they still do this.

• Like 1

Contact the bank again, they need to tell you what you need to do. Sometimes you get operators who are clueless, just escalate until you get answers. If someone isn't helpful, put the phone down and call back. Use a cheap method to call such as Skype

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sanuk711 said:

The American Embassy has people living in Thailand that it calls on for different things, like getting the passport from the family of the Deceased etc..... They call them Sheriffs (I know it sounds silly) there are 2 in Udon Thani, Do you want their phone number? They will have someone in NK its just a matter of asking the embassy.  The American Embassy isn't bad (compared to some) I would contact them, they used to have someone drive up this way once a year-----I don't know if they still do this.

The Outreach program was terminated at the end of 2018. The embassy has volunteer CLV's (used to be called wardens). There are two In Udon, I being one. We try to help, such as visiting hospitals etc. The other Udon CLV is stuck in the US until the all clear. Thank you for helping.

• Like 1

Sounds like some information may be missing here. US banks don't typically permanently lock accounts from a bad pin number being entered at an atm. The account may have been exhausted. The bank probably isn't going to offer much help to a third party due to the financial laws governing banks. The wife may have better luck but also may have little to no access if she isn't on the account and the same would be true for the family. Even getting a certified marriage certificate may be insufficient if she isn't on the account or has no power of attorney. I would be pursuing trying to get the families assistance and exploring other avenues of financial support. I would also be looking to contact the US Embassy in the USA for direction or assistance, if embassies offices are closed in Thailand. This is a terrible situation to be in and points up the need to have someone else that's trustworthy to have access to accounts in situations like this.

• Like 1

My Thai Catholic priest friend, who has been helping for 2 years, contacted the KK Laos consulate. They said they could not certify the English translation of the Laos marriage certificate, that has to be done in Vientiane.

14 minutes ago, mackayae said:

My Thai Catholic priest friend, who has been helping for 2 years, contacted the KK Laos consulate. They said they could not certify the English translation of the Laos marriage certificate, that has to be done in Vientiane.

They would only need to do a certified copy of it.

The Department of Consular Affairs of the MFA could certify the translation of it. It would probably require a translation to Thai and in English for them to do it.