Fire In Major Shopping Mall

Thaising

Chiang Rai _ A major fire broke out at a three-storey department store in Chiang Rai's Muang district last night, causing damage estimated at 50 million baht, police said. The fire started about 9.30pm at Api Plaza, after the shopping mall had closed.

Firefighters had to break into the building to control the blaze, which was believed to have begun in a kitchen before spreading and consuming the building.

About 20 fire trucks and 200 firemen were called out to help extinguish the fire.

At press time they were struggling to prevent the fire spreading to a nearby hotel, but were confident it was safe.

There were no reports of injuries.

The cause of the fire was not immediately apparent.

The shopping mall, run by prominent businessman Bandit Apinivet, is located on land leased by the provincial administrative organisation.

Police quickly finding cause of fire at shopping mall in Chiang Rai

Chiang Rai police are urgently finding the cause of the fire at a three-storey department store called Api Plaza in Muang district of Chiang Rai province. The fire broke out last night (Apr 18), causing about 50 million baht of damage. No reports of injuries were reported.

Recently, the acting Commissioner-General of the Royal Thai Police, Pol. Gen. Seripisuth Temiyavej, has ordered Chiang Rai police to quickly find the cause of the fire as soon as possible.

The shopping mall is managed by prominent businessman Bandit Apinivet, and is located on land leased by the provincial administration organization.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 19 April 2007

Pol. Gen. Seripisuth Temiyavej, has ordered Chiang Rai police to quickly find the cause of the fire as soon as possible.

I think he forgot to ask for it without delay and right away....so it will probably take ages...oh well.

Chownah

Pol. Gen. Seripisuth Temiyavej, has ordered Chiang Rai police to quickly find the cause of the fire as soon as possible.

I think he forgot to ask for it without delay and right away....so it will probably take ages...oh well.

Chownah

the owners name makes him the prime suspect with me :o

s5_copy148.jpg

A fire vehicle sits in front of the Api Plaza department store in Chiang Rai’s Muang district as firefighters battle the blaze that broke out at the three-storey building on Wednesday night. It caused damage estimated at Bt100 million.

Source: The Nation - 20 April 2007

Pol Maj Sakon Apiniwet, son of the owner, said the mall had a 10-million-baht fire insurance policy. He said about 200 employees were now without jobs, but some would be transferred to work at a new branch to be opened soon.
This from today's Bangkok Post. Convenient timing what with the new branch to be opened soon, or am I just being my same old cynical self again.

Especially as:-

Police said an electrical short circuit could have started the blaze. An initial inspection found burned-out electrical wiring yesterday on the mezzanine floor of the three-storey Api Plaza, in Muang district. The wires will be sent for further examination.

It seems that in addition to instant autopsies the BiB are now qualified fire investigators. :o

Sanambin road, just a bit south off the four way intersection with Paholyothin and Banprakhan. It wasn´t a very interesting mall and I can´t imagine business going that well. So, make it sparkle with flames and blame it on dodgy wires that we have all over Thailand anyways, who will notice?

Cashing cashing!

Pol Maj Sakon Apiniwet, son of the owner, said the mall had a 10-million-baht fire insurance policy. He said about 200 employees were now without jobs, but some would be transferred to work at a new branch to be opened soon.
This from today's Bangkok Post. Convenient timing what with the new branch to be opened soon, or am I just being my same old cynical self again.

Especially as:-

Police said an electrical short circuit could have started the blaze. An initial inspection found burned-out electrical wiring yesterday on the mezzanine floor of the three-storey Api Plaza, in Muang district. The wires will be sent for further examination.
It seems that in addition to instant autopsies the BiB are now qualified fire investigators. :o

Isn't that what they used to call a (racial term deleted) stocktake?