Foreigners married to Thais set to be allowed to return to Thailand

webfact

17 hours ago, Somtamnication said:

Let me guess: Married farangs with work permits only.

Or with live non-O visas or annual extensions for marriage. Married farangs with live non-OA visas or annual extensions for retirement may still be excluded.

• Sad 1

17 hours ago, webfact said:

separated from their families in Thailand for more than three months. 

555 ... really ... I was separated from my family for the same period and was here in Thailand!!!

17 hours ago, Sheryl said:

I seem to recall reading something like 50k for the 14 days inclusive of meals.

Not sure how "ritzy" these hotels are.  Most likely 3-4 star. But certainly more comfortable than state quarantine.

from 32,000 up to 144,000 THB.

19 minutes ago, OJAS said:

Or with live non-O visas or annual extensions for marriage. Married farangs with live non-OA visas or annual extensions for retirement may still be excluded.

As it happens we were already planning to get married when we go back soon to Scotland for 2/3 months. I then need to renew my visa and then change that Non O one to a marriage visa in Thailand. It will be interesting to see if they require a marriage visa per se, or only a marriage certificate. 

The other consideration is can you arrive in BKK and get into your own car, and drive to your own home in a different province in order to be quarantined there.

There is certainly a lot of detail to be filled in, but it is a big step in the right direction that the plight of these people has been recognised.

The free Thai quarantine for Thais was in normal hotels and I have been told that it was very comfortable with good meals served.  They were definitely not complaining.

46 minutes ago, sandyf said:

As usual, the daily dose of xenophobia and misinformation.

99.99% of the world's population have survived the Chinese Flu

Get a grip of reality

Also, criticising a Junta government is not xenophobic. 

Get a grip of reality

• Like 2

5 hours ago, dutchweller said:

I have been separated from my wife and 3 year old since mid February...

I hope I can return {to pack our house and <deleted> of Thailand permanently 

Should be able to pack and <deleted> mid to late November I reckon.

28 minutes ago, Canuck1966 said:

Get a grip of reality

Get a grip of reality

28 minutes ago, Canuck1966 said:

Get a grip of reality

Get a grip of reality

Maybe that’s because a lot of countries took the strict lockdown measures that they have implemented. One case to take note of is Sweden no lockdown.......Death rate 12% .

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, aussienam said:

Many of us who are retired and reside in Thailand are not married.  But we are also struggling very badly with being locked out.  I am paying rent in Thailand monthly to my landlord still, plus electricity and garbage collection, but I am not there.  This is so unfair.  

I DO NOT HAVE COVID.  I will be retested whenever and wherever I need to be again.  But I am going literally insane waiting here with nothing but a suitcase of clothes for more than three months locked out.  Double rent costs, and then the costs to come back as well.  Please, this is causing so much suffering.  If there is no news for us, what do I do?  Terminate my lease?  Who is going to pack all my belongings and store them?  I have so much.  I cannot sleep from the anxiety daily.  

Please include retirees on non-imm O & O-A visas.  We are not a burden to Thailand.  We contribute too.  Thank you.  

Agree anyone with an valid existing visa or extension should be able to return under the same regulations.

39 minutes ago, aussienam said:

Please, this is causing so much suffering.  If there is no news for us, what do I do?  Terminate my lease?  Who is going to pack all my belongings and store them?  I have so much.  I cannot sleep from the anxiety daily.

Your in a bad spot. Fact is folk in your situation don't have an option. For some there current extension (permission of stay) and re-entry permit would of ended.

Health is everything. I suggest pay your next 4 months rent to your Thai landlord and just put that out of mind, even if that means taking out short term loan.

Hopefully you will get back before year's end.

You won't be able to enter for some time.

On an aside if your permission of stay expired 

You could enter Los visa exempt (if they issue them) and then obtain non-o at imm.

Hang in there.

Edited by DrJack54

18 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Thai nationals repatriating to Thailand have 14 day quarantine. That will continue and any foreigners would likewise face quarantine in Bangkok.

would quarantine need to be at governments specified accommodation or could one self lock in at your own accomodation... house.. condo..  

1 minute ago, Harveyboy said:

would quarantine need to be at governments specified accommodation or could one self lock in at your own accomodation... house.. condo..  

same question has been asked a thousand times simple answer is NO because people just carry on as normal, go to bars, beach shops, resturants while they are supposed to be in quarantine

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dutchweller said:

I hope I can return {to pack our house and GTFO of Thailand permanently 

I'm right there with you, problem is my teens are finishing their last couple of years of HS.  Given they are doing very well and the friends they associate with are the same, I hesitate to upset the good thing apple cart.  But as soon as they graduate...

• Like 1

Contrary to Anutin, the English and style and tone of Deputy Spokesperson of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Natapanu Nopakun, is acceptable or even decent and super friendly. I hope this man will help to correct the direction in which Thailand is heading to.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Marcus Atwood said:

The Thai government is not doing anything different that United States which is where Thailand gets the majority of its legal protocol. They always copy whatever the US does, as do most countries.

Currently in the US:

"The CDC advisories have more substantial restrictions for foreign nationals trying to enter the United States. As of May 15, 2020, foreign nationals are banned from entering if they have been in these countries within the last 14 days:

- China

- Iran

- Most European countries

- The United Kingdom and Ireland"

You also have to do a 14 day quarantine in the US, just like Thailand.

100% of the Thai people I know are praying for Western and Chinese tourists to return. Although, I'm not sure I want them to return. Being the only customer at most establishments now, prices have been slashed by 50% and I'm treated like royalty. It's great. I have all the beaches to myself as well. No trash, no cheap tourists. Spotted killer whales ( orcas ) this morning swimming close to shore and sea turtles on the beach!!! In all the years I've been living in Phuket, I've never seen orcas or sea turtles.

However, this situation it is not great for local Thais. I've seen many homeless Thais moving into the jungles and living in tents. Banana Beach is now littered with homeless Thais. Great place to live though for free!!! People would pay millions to live where the homeless have set up camp.

Most Thais I've spoken with are extremely angry with their government for this entire lockdown ( particularly those that are high IQ and that have a business ) and want the borders opened up asap to foreigners. It really depends on who you ask though. If you ask locals in Phuket, they want everything to return to normal pronto.

But of course, hi-so Thais ( most of whom are of Chinese descent ) stand to profit from an extended lockdown. They would love nothing more than to see Phuket collapse so that they can go in there and buy up premium land at an extreme discount ( similar to what Taksin did post-tsunami ). Personally, I have also been eyeing real-estate and there are some real bargains starting to develop beach-front. But i'm holding off because I think we are just at the beginning of a massive economic collapse. The US stock market PEG ratio is way out of whack ( we are at 2000 Dot Com Bubble PE ratios ) so I'm expecting another stock market crash. If the US stock market crashes again, the global economy will tank hard and prices in Thailand will get dialed back to 2004.

image.thumb.png.e80d7ddeaf5ce9e0dbe3cc3a8d4438ab.png

You also have to consider that the majority of hi-so Thais were educated in the United States or Europe. Many of whom were teased by Americans and rejected by Western women ( often called FOB aka Fresh Off the Boat ). These folks come back to Thailand with a huge chip on their shoulders towards Westerners. Do you blame them though? Americans are brutal to overseas Asians students. And the Europeans are even worse than the Americans. I was educated in the United Kingdom and let me tell you, the British are a mean-spirited people that treat both Asians and Americans horribly. I went to King Henry VIII middle school in Warwickshire and let me tell you, I was bullied everyday by students and had my head dunked in the toilet regularly, just because I was American. And mind you, I have blonde hair, blue eyes and was a model in Los Angeles in my 20s. Can you imagine how hard it is for people that don't look like me?

Don't blame the Thais for becoming more and more xenophobic. Maybe treat them with more respect when they're in your home country and the favor will likely be returned.

image.png

QUOTE FROM ABOVE:

"...You also have to consider that the majority of hi-so Thais were educated in the United States or Europe. Many of whom were teased by Americans and rejected by Western women ( often called FOB aka Fresh Off the Boat ). These folks come back to Thailand with a huge chip on their shoulders towards Westerners. Do you blame them though? Americans are brutal to overseas Asians students. And the Europeans are even worse than the Americans."

I don't buy your comments.

Locals are at times brutal to other locals and foreigners in any country. Reality of life.

Before Thailand I lived in Sydney and Melbourne in Australia and had daily contact with students from: Thailand, Indonesia, China, Taiwan, Japan, Korea and more.

Most of the time, most of the students (M and F) were quite contented and had good productive relationships / friendships with Australian students, the Australian community etc.

In my 30+ years of work in Thailand I worked with several hundred Thais in big organizational projects, 90+% spoke excellent/perfect English, and were educated abroad, professional, pleasant and productive, no hesitation to work together with the foreigners on my staff. 

Yes we had 1 or 2 incidents over many years, half of which was reaction to western arrogance and superiority. 

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, gimo said:

Does it include Parents of Thai children ? Not married . My son and I are waiting to be able get back into Thailand . He is my son by birth and is a Thai citizen with two passports . He came here to Oz

for a holiday and can't get back . I want to return with him to stay permanently .

Same here brought my Thai GF of 6 years and son to the UK in March now ‘stranded’ we want to return so our son can return to school.

Edited by Jumbo1968

3 hours ago, dutchweller said:

I hope I can return {to pack our house and GTFO of Thailand permanently 

Sounds a bit like me, out and stuck in uk since March. Missing 4 year old and wife. Comes a time when you just think 'flip it' , move the family here, the whole visa hoops and covid situation is showing get back to your own country is more calming than worrying about what's next

• Like 2

The whole situation is an utter shambles, and is basically just one huge guessing game as the gov have a very wide range of options of how, when, if, what conditions, what counties etc. quarantine..it goes on and on. What with a justification to close the bars and complete control over immigration Covid 19 is Christmas (so to speak) come earl for this lot.  

Still, I don't know why so many are stressed abut being 'locked out' just enjoy the break and where you are now, Thailand aint going anywhere.

• Like 1

I wouldn't be getting too excited about this announcement. As the saying goes...the devil is the detail.

Current thread just opened in Thai news re 690 Thai returning early July from Egypt. 

There are over 4000 Thai registered to return from outside of Thailand. With the required quarantine.

Guessing there will be so much red tape and requirements for married guys to return.