Foreigners married to Thais set to be allowed to return to Thailand

webfact

15 hours ago, tomacht8 said:

The 14-day quarantine is not necessary in many cases.
The results of an RT-PCR test are available after 48 hours.
On average, the period between infection and the first symptoms is probably three days, less than the previously assumed five days, according to an evaluation by expert Zhong Nanshan, according to the China Daily.
5 days in quarantine + 2 days test time = 7 days.
The need for 14 days of quarantine is nowhere scientifically proven.

But it gives the government an excuse for their power trips.

20 hours ago, webfact said:

Foreigners married to Thais set to be allowed to return to Thailand

What about Expats on retirement extension who have Wife/Gf and children and live in Thailand now Stranded Overseas. 

They should have the same rights to return to Thailand as the Thais who are stranded overseas  from work or holidays.  :wai:

• Like 2

20 hours ago, gimo said:

Does it include Parents of Thai children ? Not married . My son and I are waiting to be able get back into Thailand . He is my son by birth and is a Thai citizen with two passports . He came here to Oz

for a holiday and can't get back . I want to return with him to stay permanently .

That's another meating, you'll need patience, patience, and a long breath.

I hear whispers next year, but you'll never know in LOS.

If Thailand really mean this and stick to it then that's a good thing. Not sure how many people are separated from their families but I suspect quite a lot. If Thailand is not careful it could be recognised as a country that gives a toss, at least on this matter.

Joke aside, I am sure there are many people happy to hear this, keeping families apart is not right.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, digger70 said:

What about Expats on retirement extension who have Wife/Gf and children and live in Thailand now Stranded Overseas. 

They should have the same rights to return to Thailand as the Thais who are stranded overseas  from work or holidays.  :wai:

Why should they ?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, natway09 said:

I just love all your negativity here guys.

Here they giving the heads up to let foreigners married to Thais & current work permit holders return

I would think as soon as flights are available after 1 July.

Quarantine will be needed of course, why would you get special treatment ?

I would not mind the quarantine if this would allow me to return to Thailand to see my Thai wife. (it's the same for Thai nationals)

Hopefully a marriage certificate in combination with a 1 year visa extension is enough to qualify. 

• Like 2

Very much my tought, I just wish I can go and collect my daughter and personal stuff,lock down the house properly, sell my bikes and goodbyes until this government is out,if things won't change on the next,well...! I'll never go back.

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, leosurin said:

Very much my tought, I just wish I can go and collect my daughter and personal stuff,lock down the house properly, sell my bikes and goodbyes until this government is out,if things won't change on the next,well...! I'll never go back.

The government will be devastated at you decision to leave.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, merijn said:

If you have a marriage certificate you are married.

If you don't have a marriage certificate you are not married,

Simple as that and the same for most countries.

I have two judgments from the juvenile court from when I got joint custody of my children, where it says that I and my girlfriend who are parents of child are married but we have not signed the document yet. Married?

• Confused 1

I am not holding my breathe. I have a legal marraige to a Thai and we have been apart since February. As I am not retired, I am only with my wife in our condo in Thailand three or four months each year (she is sometimes with me outside of Thailand) so no visa other than 60 day tourist visa. Additionally, I hold a US passport, but have not been in the US since July 2019. Since Covid-19 started, I have only been in Thailand and South Korea (where I am now). I look forward to the clear and concise rules that are soon to be issued by the Thai authorities!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Canuck1966 said:

99.99% of the world's population have survived the Chinese Flu

Get a grip of reality

Also, criticising a Junta government is not xenophobic. 

Get a grip of reality

The reality is you need to do some homework.

35 minutes ago, Hans Rayong said:

I have two judgments from the juvenile court from when I got joint custody of my children, where it says that I and my girlfriend who are parents of child are married but we have not signed the document yet. Married?

Like you said, you have custody and are not married.

So I’m afraid that you would not qualify then.

Not wanting to pour scorn on the OP - its certainly the best news we've had so far but for me and thousands of others, if home quarantine is not allowed, we still won't be able to visit our wives/families.

I would normally visit every 8 weeks for 2 weeks. No way can I take 1 month off work each time. So, maybe better than hearing nothing on the matter but in reality - I think our hopes will be dashed. It doesnt't really matter if the hotel is glitzy or 200 baht per night, I for one simply can't do it.

Edit:

Just seen the news from New Zealand today. I think quarantine is assured now - especially for Brits.

Edited by KhaoYai

what does  this mean ? as it does say peopl with residency ???  found this  so does it apply to retiement visa's too ???

Residence permit
Description
A residence permit is a document or card required in some regions, allowing a foreign national to reside in a country for a fixed or indefinite length of time. These may be permits for temporary residency, or permanent residency. The exact rules vary between regions

2 hours ago, robblok said:

Seems logical that they first get Thais back then people who are married to Thais. There is only limit place in quarantine. Why would retirees and even people on elite visa (like me) get in before their own citizen and those married to their own citizen.

IMHO they are doing it right and now in this topic you got married guys moaning about the quarantine. Its the same for Thais and if you don't like it don't come back. Do you feel so special that they have to adjust the rules just for you. Just be grateful your allowed. Its all about capacity and that is not unlimited. 

The 14 day quarantine is a sticking point. Understandingly a necessary one without a viable alternative.

In the UK I have taken a Covid-19 test (48 hr result). If these tests were available for arrivals I'm sure people would be happy to pay for them instead of having to do a 14 day quarantine.

If arrivals were to take a Covid-19 test on arrival followed by a 2-3 day quarantine while awaiting results the arrivals 'back-log' would be streamlined.

If the testing efficiency could be improved the arrivals 'back-log' would be limited to the airport.

Remember - This is not about eradicating Covid-19 but keeping the spread rate down such that the spread rate is limited while the economy can continue.

Edited by richard_smith237

6 minutes ago, yeahbutif said:

what does  this mean ? as it does say peopl with residency ???  found this  so does it apply to retiement visa's too ???

You would know if you are a permanent resident. To gain permanent residency you have to be working and paying taxes in Thailand for at least three years.

You then apply, and the process would normally take at least another two years.

If granted you have to pay nearly 200,000 baht (half this if you are married to a Thai citizen).

You then get a permanent residence book.

If you have not done any of this you are not a permanent resident. If you do have permanent residency you do not have to apply for any other type of permission or visa to stay in Thailand.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Toany said:

What about the foreigners who paid a lot of money for the Thai Elite card.  To be special friends of Thailand, but still banned from the country.

Its harsh... But the Thai Elite system is really just a longer term Tourist Visa with a few perks.

It should never have been called 'Elite', that just creates too many negative comments. Call it the 'Thai Long Term Visa' and then everyone knows what it is.

That said: When marketing the Thai Elite Visa as a 'special' visa, expedited arrival etc one would 'hope' that those who have paid for privileged treatment receive it. IF those on work permits are permitted entry, its not a stretch to also permit the limited extra numbers of Thailand Elite arrivals into Thailand in a similar manner.

1 minute ago, blackcab said:

You would know if you are a permanent resident. To gain permanent residency you have to be working and paying taxes in Thailand for at least the years.

You then apply, and the process would normally take at least another two years.

If granted you have to pay nearly 200,000 baht (half this if your are married to a Thai citizen).

You then get a permanent residence book.

If you have not done any of this you are not a permanent resident.

ok sounds fare >  but it strange they called in a residency certificate to get a car license or open bank account and most other things .. 

• Confused 1

14 minutes ago, yeahbutif said:

Residence permit
Description
A residence permit is a document or card required in some regions, allowing a foreign national to reside in a country for a fixed or indefinite length of time. These may be permits for temporary residency, or permanent residency. The exact rules vary between regions

Spam or just stupid?

15 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Remember - This is not about eradicating Covid-19 but keeping the spread rate down such that the spread rate is limited while the economy can continue.

But Thailand don't want the virus. Is this so difficult to understand???

9 minutes ago, yeahbutif said:

ok sounds fare >  but it strange they called in a residency certificate to get a car license or open bank account and most other things .. 

The original post said, "and those who hold permanent residency".

There was no mention of a certificate.

• Thanks 1