People born before 1992 face greatest risk of hepatitis infectionsa

snoop1130

People born before 1992 face greatest risk of hepatitis infections

By The Nation

800_ea460df33cdc425.jpg

Thai actor Saranyu “Tua” Wongkrachang, who recently died of liver cancer at the age of 59, may have developed cirrhosis of the liver due to the hepatitis virus, said Dr Asadang Ruaycharin, deputy director-general and spokesperson for the Department of Disease Control.

He said that though there are five main types of hepatitis virus, A, B, C, D and E, the most prevalent types in Thailand are hepatitis B and C and infections are fast becoming a problem in the country.

Dr Asadang added that there are approximately 2.3 million people with chronic hepatitis B in Thailand with most of them having been born before 1992. People born after 1992 have been immunised against the highly infectious disease, bringing the rate of prevalence in this age group down to 0.6 per cent.

Hence, he said, people born before 1992 should undergo screening for hepatitis B to prevent infections.

Meanwhile, approximately 750,000 people are infected with hepatitis C, with infections most common among HIV/Aids patients and drug users.

“A free hepatitis B and C screening will be offered in August at hospitals under the purview of the Public Health Ministry,” he said.

Call the Department of Disease Control hotline 1422 for more information.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/lifestyle/30389650

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-06-15

4 hours ago, poskat said:

Hep C now has a very effective treatment

If found out on time yes...while i was in 2nd grade of medical school i got three shots of vaccine against HPV B, and it lasts 10 years than need to repeat the process. The vaccine should also help to slow down the spreading of HPV C is mean the person who got Vaccine shot regularly have more chances for not get Cirrossis, i dont understand what they did in thailand did they already giving shots to the small kids? 

Edited by NB1986

What a totally ridiculous statement ! Who makes this stuff up ? They may as well say that people born before 1915 face greater risks of being dead ! Obviously after 1992 people were issued a new type of liver that was not susceptible to any form of malfunction ????

• Like 1

No. 

This makes sense. 

There is a vaccine now. 

There wasn't before. 

I got hep B before there was a vaccine. 

It was not a chronic case. 

I participated in a blood studies project that was used to help develop the vaccine. 

Cheers. 

14 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

No. 

This makes sense. 

There is a vaccine now. 

There wasn't before. 

I got hep B before there was a vaccine. 

It was not a chronic case. 

I participated in a blood studies project that was used to help develop the vaccine. 

Cheers. 

Accepted, but surely there is nothing to prevent the "doomed" pre-1992ers from getting this vaccination should they need it at ANY time ? 

15 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Get tested and vaccinated is the answer for A&B

Better get vaccinated for it  by  Twinrix (3 shots with month interval) life time guarantee working

1 minute ago, luckyluke said:

I am luckyluke and I was born in 1948.

They don't build that good quality anymore as from 1948 , my year too .., and still around without no complaints , unless aging and loosing beauty year after year ….5555

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Thai actor Saranyu “Tua” Wongkrachang, who recently died of liver cancer at the age of 59, may have developed cirrhosis of the liver due to the hepatitis virus, said Dr Asadang Ruaycharin, deputy director-general and spokesperson for the Department of Disease Control.

And then, he could have enjoyed the Thai 'delicacy' Plaa Raa as well as other uncooked Thai foods and been exposed to liver flukes and other organisms and parasites that infect the liver. 
Thais, especially in Isaan, have a high incidence of liver disease that has been causally linked to liver damage from pathogens as opposed to viruses.  However, the medical community will no doubt be pimping vaccinations for the pharmaceutical companies who pays them to play.  It not like the medical community isn't incentivized by Big Pharma.

"screening for hepatitis B to prevent infections."

sorry - in my understanding, this does not work.

you need check immune status at least every 10 years after being vaccinated. and better get checked after 3th shot. It not always worked as desired.

7 hours ago, david555 said:

Better get vaccinated for it  by  Twinrix (3 shots with month interval) life time guarantee working

Been vaccinated with Twinrix about 10 years ago. I believe I should be immune to Hep A&B for lifetime too.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

you won't get vaccinated if you already have it hence the test first

What happens if someone doesn't know they have it and they get vaccinated? Don't think anything bad will happen to them if they still get vaccinated.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bbi1 said:

What happens if someone doesn't know they have it and they get vaccinated? Don't think anything bad will happen to them if they still get vaccinated.

The sooner you know if you've got Hep A,B or C the better so you can get treated, so sensible to get tested first especially if you're in an at risk group, which you probably are if in Thailand