No more water

keithkarmann

Correct me if I am wrong but I recall the Prime Minister saying he wanted the Thai people to be happy.

I live with my Thai wife and baby in a small village in Sukhothai province. Over a year ago our rubbish collection was stopped. As usual we asked questions as to why. Now our village is heavily dependant on farming and we have just been told that we will no longer be getting water supplied to the village. What will be next no electricity and internet?

I can understand if there is a drought and water is in short supply but this is different. I can afford to buy water but most of the people in the village worry about where their next meal is coming from.

We are told to wash hands regular but that will not be possible without water.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, keithkarmann said:

small village in Sukhothai province. Over a year ago our rubbish collection was stopped. As usual we asked questions as to why. Now our village is heavily dependent on farming and we have just been told that we will no longer be getting water supplied to the village. What will be next no electricity and internet?

I live in Sukhothai and there's been ongoing improvements year on year. What village is it.

• Like 1

I may be wrong about this, but I think every village has an elected head man that receives a annual budget, and a salary. 

If you have no water, he is responsible, but if your village is anything like my wife's, the culture doesn't allow for people to be "Pak dee" to this man. 

Somebody should have a word with him and tell him the people aren't happy and if he doesn't find a solution, there will be complaints made about his handling of the village koffers. 

This is what happened in my wife's village only a few weeks ago, also over lack of clean water. After 3 months it's now flowing again. 

• Like 1

As others have pointed out, your village will have an elected Pu Yai Baan.  There is also a person (or group of people) for each Tambon (or Amphur?) called the Oh Bo Ro Tor, who is/are responsible for road repair and things like that.  

I don't know which one (if either) is responsible for water, but talking to them would be the first thing that I would do.

Which village are you in?  One of my wife's nieces is running for Pu Yai Baan in Baan Mae Too Lao in Sukhothai.  If she wins the election, she speaks English pretty well!

• Like 1

About 6 months ago, are water flow had been reduced significantly to a trickle late at night. We live about 3/4 km outside the village that supplies our area with water.  Was told it was because of low water level at the well, even though a deeper well was drilled and a larger water tower had been completed a year before. Eventually found out the head-man that is in charge of the water service had not paid the electric bill for about 6 months and owed over 56,000 baht, so PEA had pulled the meter. He claimed that the electrical usage was more than the revenue he could collect each month. The biggest problem was that people were unable or refusing to pay their monthly bill and he wouldn't disconnect them, till they paid their bill. Our bill for a family of four was 150-180 baht a month.

In late April, I finally tired of the problem and had a 39 meter well drilled and a 3" submersible pump installed. Best 17,000 baht I've ever spent.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, keithkarmann said:

So maybe it was a communication problem but for now the panic is over. Thanks everyone for yout concern.

Every once in a while my village in Tak Province turns off the water to clean the tank.. but it has been dry and that is scary... 

4 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

We flew over to Thailand 12/2019 and installed a well at my father in laws house in Isaan and concreted the entire front of the house to get rid of a big mud pit.

FIL and brother in law/friends did all the labor themselves.

Was a fun project, brought every one closer together.

They are very thankful now they have water and don't have to tromp thru the mud when it rains.

FIL.png

How much is parking there?

18 hours ago, keithkarmann said:

Not sure what happened as my wifey convinced me that the water was cut off for good. We even started planning a well of some sort. Maybe my anger got thtough to the Mooban chief because two days later the water was flowing like never before, even during the day. So maybe it was a communication problem but for now the panic is over. Thanks everyone for yout concern.

You should look to becoming self sufficient, we always have been. No problem during the rainy season and we have a well that comes into play when the rain stops. If it is a particularly dry season the well has sometimes run out in March and I have about 15K litres of stored water that we would use until the rain comes again.

A couple of years ago the government brought mains water nearby but we never bothered to get connected.

If your area has water trucks, buy tanks up to 5000 ltr (cheaper than a bore) our truck charges under 600 baht, i am connected to the village water but when that stops for repair ie broken, tanks lasts me several days, only had to use the water truck once, i have one 1000 ltr tank that is only just higher than the shower so even with no power or water I can use the bum gun for toilet. and have a trickle at shower plus of course the 40 lit bin in the bathroom. I would also add when the town water is running filthy, i turn off at the meter and let others use it, next day is normally clear again.

Edited by brianthainess
add content
  • Like 1