Bangkok: Most people complain about the terrible sidewalks

webfact

24 minutes ago, ajarnmarc said:

In phuket town, people are discouraged from walking. Once a taxi see's you walking they will follow you down the road, asking you several times for a fare. When you show them your vehicle keys, trying to let them know you drove to where you are now. They simply don't care, you are fair game, and they will continue to follow you until you enter a place of business, then drive away. Once you depart that business, there will be another taxi, with different driver to follow you back to your vehicle. It's beyond local Thai people thinking how you might want to park down the road (like we have a choice) and walk to the place you have business to attend to. This is when you can even find a place to park in most towns, and the taxis take up every available parking spot in front of any popular location, and if all else fails there's the business owners to chase away anyone parking in front of the business, other than a taxi for my guess is they pay to park, I mean block the front of these businesses. Thailand at it's best...So sidewalks is like private land, which people feel is the best spot to sale something, plant something, let their daily laundry hang, you name it it's endless the uses the local can find for what we would refer to as sidewalk. 

In Phnom Penh the sidewalk comes in handy for doing a spot of welding!????

One thing to say in favour of Bangkok is that I can almost always get a taxi driver to use the meter, something that doesn't tend to happen elsewhere. (I only ever hail taxis that are moving, and with there light on, if you try to use one that's parked up, they'll try to overcharge).

• Like 1

terrible sidewalks, terrible electricity wiring, terrible pollution. Walking anywhere in Bangkok is a complete nightmare.  They could take a leaf from Singapore, Malaysia or even inner Manila! - and actually try to make a livable city rather than a city where the elite bubble themselves off in walled fortresses.  

• Like 2

I sell "I Immigrated To A Tropical Country And All I Do Is Complain About The Sidewalks" t shirts. two sizes:  "fat" and "very fat". Plz pm me for more details and how to order. ( disclaimer to anyone who isnt sure: NO this is not a real advertisement!)

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Andrew65 said:

In 1985 there were holes a meter or more deep/wide, at least they're improved since then!????

Have a look at the "Foot Path" at Nong Plhap market  which comes under Hua Hin municipality. The  FP runs along the outside market market which is just as bad . If it rains the night before  l don't go their. It's a disgrace you need rubber boots to walk round.

Its not just the footpath, I find I have to have eyes everywhere where the foot path is like a mountain range. Then you have all kinds of things hanging from wires, or blinds with metal poles sticking out to take your eye out if you are not careful. Trucks parked across the footpath but not being loaded or unloaded. The lady selling live fish, crabs, frogs and whatever, from bowels placed in the way of what would otherwise be a straight line to walk. Not too bad if you walk that route often, but in a strange place you put your life in their hands. It aint dangerous, its completely ludicrous.   

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Percy P said:

Have a look at the "Foot Path" at Nong Plhap market  which comes under Hua Hin municipality. The  FP runs along the outside market market which is just as bad . If it rains the night before  l don't go their. It's a disgrace you need rubber boots to walk round.

OK, I've never been there.

I visited Yangon in 1998, same thing, massive holes and no street lighting in places, a highly risky stagger back from the bar!????

I think this is terrible, because it's a problem for every day.

People with motobike  find this funny, but when you are not so kikiak, so walk, and its so hard,

every 10 meters you have to stop, to less someone or something pass.

And when water is up, you dont see where it's dangerous.

Ban Chang in Rayong is no different.  Sidewalks are dangerous but I am sure they keep the hospitals in business with broken legs and broken or twisted ankles.  Soon to be a major player in the EEC development these sidewalks should be brought up to a world class standard as they should be everywhere.  Tourists walk a lot and should be safe and comfortable doing so.

• Like 1

The pavements along both sides of Phaholyothin Road all the way between Victory Monument to/from Morchit (past SanamPao, Ari and Saphan Kwai) have recently been replaced. Fair to say that they have done a really good job. Bollards to stop motorbikes and cars getting on the pavement have been installed too. It must have cost a fortune as it's all new tiles, kerbing and concrete improvements everywhere. Sure there are some obstacles for anyone in a wheelchair but walking is a lot better now. This route also had all the overhead cables buried a few years ago although the old pavement wasn't really too bad.     

Take a look at Sukhumvit Soi 4

What with the half finished storm water covers all the way down the road  with what I hope will be temp' noisy, uneven steel covers, the 2 unsightly trailer pumps blocking the sidewalk & the state of ths pavements so people can trip in the potholes, yes it is a disgrace in a Soi that has brought  billions of 

Baht into this country.

The last 3 months would have been an ideal time to fix but,,,, nothing

• Like 1

Are the sidewalks owned by the city or by the businesses that they front?    

About three years ago, the Governor of Bangkok was at the FCCT and promised to fix the sidewalks but little has happened.

• Like 1