Bangkok: Most people complain about the terrible sidewalks

webfact

8 hours ago, webfact said:

This is despite the Bangkok Metropolitan Authority announcing a "return the sidewalks to the people" campaign.

Ends like most campaigns... runs out of enthusiasm !

It's hard enough to get around if you're able bodied, I feel so sorry for anyone with disabilities or god forbid has eyesight issues... Local government should be ashamed.

• Like 1

If you expect here in Thailand that the sidewalks are like say in the US! Then you will trip, fall get hurt! Especially if you are older! Be careful I know Thailand but have tripped! Warning that's all!

7 hours ago, pixelaoffy said:

Around Rama 4 they were cleared of vendors because people can't walk on SW. But guess what. Gradually drift back. Typical Thai way , rules and laws enforcement are only for a short time for public image !!!

Good that they come back to the PAVEMENTS. Food for the Thai workers in the district.

Work for the honest vendors.

So sorry that it inconveniences YOU walking a couple of hundred yards or so.  But you're quite right -- how dare the local people get in you way?

13 minutes ago, justaphase said:

Most people complain about terrible everything. Roads, footpaths, parks, beaches. A non caring country of litterers.

Farang like to walk about... especially tourists....   Thais like their bikes... why walk?  so they put the sidewalks to other use... like trash, storage..  whatever..  seems logical to me....

2 minutes ago, Patanawet said:

Good that they come back to the PAVEMENTS. Food for the Thai workers in the district.

Work for the honest vendors.

So sorry that it inconveniences YOU walking a couple of hundred yards or so.  But you're quite right -- how dare the local people get in you way?

Here, Here! I see nothing wrong with Thai vendors on the pavements (better than Motorcycles). It's part of the life, soul and charm of Bangkok and other Thai cities. OK, so often sanitisation maybe at question but my rule of thumb is that if there's long queue of local workers or residents every day then it can't be bad.

2 hours ago, ajarnmarc said:

Once a taxi see's you walking they will follow you down the road, asking you several times for a fare. When you show them your vehicle keys, trying to let them know you drove to where you are now. They simply don't care, you are fair game, and they will continue to follow you until you enter a place of business,

keep laughing at them ! tell them they are ting tong ! you will get a smack but it’s worth it !

1 hour ago, Jimbo2014 said:

terrible sidewalks, terrible electricity wiring, terrible pollution. Walking anywhere in Bangkok is a complete nightmare.  

Yep, and don't forget the smell of the drains and the searing heat. When one can't have the simple pleasure of going for a stroll then what exactly is the point?? Where is the quality of life?

Edited by Keyser Soze666

4 minutes ago, Seeall said:

Farang like to walk about... especially tourists....   Thais like their bikes... why walk?  so they put the sidewalks to other use... like trash, storage..  whatever..  seems logical to me....

And what is your reasoning for the state of everything else??

1 hour ago, Surasak said:

Its not just the footpath, I find I have to have eyes everywhere where the foot path is like a mountain range. Then you have all kinds of things hanging from wires, or blinds with metal poles sticking out to take your eye out if you are not careful. Trucks parked across the footpath but not being loaded or unloaded. The lady selling live fish, crabs, frogs and whatever, from bowels placed in the way of what would otherwise be a straight line to walk. Not too bad if you walk that route often, but in a strange place you put your life in their hands. It aint dangerous, its completely ludicrous.   

I hope the ladies bowels were not to distressed after ridding themselves of the live fish crabs and frog's.

• Haha 1

I like the way the food vendors setup stall on the pavements and either their umbrellas are set to decapitate or there's a queue that forces you to step into the road and the unsuspecting, yet strategically placed, (and minging) puddle that simultaneously envelops your flip-flop and foot while squeezing that inevitable half an inch of grime up between each toe.

Mmmmmmm... meatballs anyone?

• Haha 1

All part of the charm really, like avoiding cracks in the pavement when you were a kid; here we have the added enjoyment of ducking overhanging wires and nimbly shifting to one side as a motorbike approaches on the sidewalk, such fun.

I don't think anyone can truly be aware of the horrors and dangers Thailand's sidewalks (pavements) present until attempting to navigate them with a young child.

I don't think anyone can truly be aware of the true 'planning ignorance' involved (as innocent as it may seem) until attempting to navigate Thailand's sidewalks (pavements) in a wheelchair or with a pushchair.

The issue is an overwhelming example of how poorly developed Thailand is, regardless of its shopping malls.

• Like 2

In nearly every city in Thailand the sidewalks are nearly not existent. It was so nice to be in China, Vietnam, Europe... and it was absolutely not dangerous to walk on sidewalks. And they have pedestrian zones - sooooo nice. Impossible in Thailand where everybody drives and parks where he wants. 

Edited by CNXexpat
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, Keyser Soze666 said:

Yep, and don't forget the smell of the drains and the searing heat. When one can't have the simple pleasure of going for a stroll then what exactly is the point?? Where is the quality of life?

Agree - I certainly question it most days when Im outside our gated community.  However Im use to the heat ????  

What, Thailand doesn't have an army? Let all the excess generals take a day off from overthrowing the government. Check a tank out of the armory. Drive it up and down the sidewalks on both sides of the road. Crunch! Crunch! Crunch! Crunch! Crunch! Sorted.

1 minute ago, dave s said:

What, Thailand doesn't have an army? Let all the excess generals take a day off from overthrowing the government. Check a tank out of the armory. Drive it up and down the sidewalks on both sides of the road. Crunch! Crunch! Crunch! Crunch! Crunch! Sorted.

The generals (and cronies) are the government here!

9 hours ago, webfact said:

Bangkok: Most people complain about the terrible sidewalks

Why? They are very lucky to Have a sidewalk even if it's bad . Down here in the City the Sidewalk is taken over by market stall and food vendors  and screens and plants in between neighbours one has to walk on the road sideways as  even there's not much room to walk. 

9 hours ago, webfact said:

Examples were illegal electrical and water mains works.

Unscrupulous traders, builders etc. "tapping" into FREE water and electricity??? I have seen this done in North Thailand some years ago now.

This isn't a phenomenon specific to Bangkok.  It's pretty much Thailand-wide.

Sidewalk: 
A place to plant trees.

A place to post signs.
A place for utility poles.
A place for phone booths.
A place for planters full of shrubs.
A place to park motorcycles.
A place to park cars.
A place for public utility boxes.
A place for tables and chairs.
and the list goes on.

About the only thing a sidewalk doesn't seem to be for is pedestrians.  They must share the roads with cars.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

....... and the useable pavements are blocked by the noodle operators, torn garbage bags or piles in which rats feast and to complete the lovely experience there is this floral smell of rotten God-only-knows-what.

For once, this might not be the sole fault of the dirty farang? 

2 hours ago, Surasak said:

Its not just the footpath, I find I have to have eyes everywhere where the foot path is like a mountain range. Then you have all kinds of things hanging from wires, or blinds with metal poles sticking out to take your eye out if you are not careful. Trucks parked across the footpath but not being loaded or unloaded. The lady selling live fish, crabs, frogs and whatever, from bowels placed in the way of what would otherwise be a straight line to walk. Not too bad if you walk that route often, but in a strange place you put your life in their hands. It aint dangerous, its completely ludicrous.   

"The lady selling live fish, crabs, frogs and whatever, from bowels placed in the way of what would otherwise be a straight line to walk."

Really? How disgusting. Even the French kill them first.

!