Bangkok: Most people complain about the terrible sidewalks

webfact

10 hours ago, Wiggy said:

Perhaps have a police officer hang around there at night? Or is that too logical? Blimey.

Police officers do not work at night unless the tea money fund is low and then they go looking for farangs

in a certain part of Bangkok.

6 hours ago, bendejo said:

Sidewalks are for walking?  555

Everyone knows sidewalks are for vendors.

Actually some years back on Suk Soi 4 I saw a pushcart version of the Denver Boot on a violator.

"Sidewalks are for walking?"  and don't forget the motorbikes, especially the odd 24 hour crackdown when

the tea money funds are low.

2 hours ago, rascalman said:

If you expect here in Thailand that the sidewalks are like say in the US! Then you will trip, fall get hurt! Especially if you are older! Be careful I know Thailand but have tripped! Warning that's all!

Lol, I remember when I went to work in the USA. My first visit there, I was driven to the mall, I wanted to go for a walk...

Surprise, surprise - no sidewalks at all, car accessible only ????

If you don't like the footpaths in Thailand go back to your perfect footpaths in Europe or America

but you won't have the easy access to young pussy back there, which is the main reason you are in Thailand.

Or the main reason you came here years ago and got married.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

5 minutes ago, wangotango said:

If you don't like the footpaths in Thailand go back to your perfect footpaths in Europe or America

but you won't have the easy access to young pussy back there, which is the main reason you are in Thailand.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Only a problem if you have to walk , you peasants 

8 minutes ago, wangotango said:

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Isn’t it the thai people complaining ?  People on TV are commenting about it , if you not like the comments don’t get your gf to read it to you

Edited by Foghorn
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, herwin1234 said:

I sell "I Immigrated To A Tropical Country And All I Do Is Complain About The Sidewalks" t shirts. two sizes:  "fat" and "very fat". Plz pm me for more details and how to order. ( disclaimer to anyone who isnt sure: NO this is not a real advertisement!)

And if you were a wheelchair user what would your t-shirt say?

2 hours ago, Patanawet said:

Good that they come back to the PAVEMENTS. Food for the Thai workers in the district.

Work for the honest vendors.

So sorry that it inconveniences YOU walking a couple of hundred yards or so.  But you're quite right -- how dare the local people get in you way?

And if you're in a wheelchair? Or is it just about YOU YOU YOU?

5 hours ago, ajarnmarc said:

people are discouraged from walking. Once a taxi see's you walking they will follow you down the road, asking you several times for a fare.

Heh, the moto taxis do that to me here on the outskirts of BKK. I just want to walk a bit out down the soi to the main road, to catch the songthaew. I'm not hopping on their death traps. But nope, BEEP BEEP BEEP a few times and taunting me with their hand gestures, before they take off.

Times are tough, and they're desperate for those fares. Saw on the news there was another skirmish between them and the Grab drivers today.

After I broke a kneecap stepping off a sidewalk without looking down - my fault, I know - and landed appr. 70 cm lower, i became extremely careful........ I find cycling a lot safer than walking, nowadays!

Edited by damascase

42 minutes ago, MickGC said:

Landed on my face more than once by tripping over an obstacle on the footpath after a big night out in Bangers.

That's funny, I never fell on my face on the sidewalk in Thailand or Mexico, which also has terrible sidewalks. 

Maybe because I wasn't drunk? 

Hmmmm. ????

Edited by SiSePuede419
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Humpy said:

Check out the restaurant on the corner of Soi Diana and Second Road. The owners have built a half wall along the kerb in order to gain extra seating room. TIT !!

Many have done similar to that or worse.

11 hours ago, Wiggy said:

Perhaps have a police officer hang around there at night? Or is that too logical? Blimey.

What!!!

You want a police officer at night...lol

You have to pay them petrol Money to get them out of the station...

5 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Hard to comment on BKK, though I don't remember it being worse that Pattaya, when I lived there.

As a father of a 4 year old I can only express my opinion of Pattaya sidewalks. And that opinion I can say in 2 words - Pathetic, Dangerous.

All government officials responsible for sidewalks in Pattaya , should be sat in a wheel chair or given a baby buggy and forced to go from one end of the place to the other, with live video cameras ! 

They are getting that bad even the bike taxis don't ride on them.

1 hour ago, wangotango said:

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Yeah you're wrong! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I have a friend from school days who was disabled by polio as a kid. He has since, as well as becoming a Justice of the Peace, travelled the world with his wheelchair. I saw a photo of him on the Great Wall of China. And he told me that by far the worst place for those in wheelchairs that he has visited is Bangkok. You are pretty much a prisoner in your home if you are disabled. Many Thais don't care, as they believe that person must have done something bad in a previous life and is now being punished for it. And that is their excuse for doing nothing at all to resolve the situation. In their mind, the disabled deserve it.

Sounds about right for the mindset in the country

• Like 1

Is it difficult to follow those electric wires or water pipes to see who is using ??
The main problem with side walks in Thailand is that people use them as parking space, second living room, unauthorized restaurangs, marketing and garbage dumps.

There are a <deleted> load of policemen with nothing to do but hanging around all over Thailand - let them start cleaning up. If there is a will there is a way.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wangotango said:

Correct me if I'm wrong.

So speaks someone with a dirty mind. Perhaps it is a Freudian expression of inner motivations?
Me I came because I liked the people and thought that I could have a good life on my pension. A good base for overseas travel.

One that didn't involve spending all my life at a bar and taking home one of the bar-girls as often as required.
I earned a good reputation with the locals where I live and many doors opened to me. I have only been shown friendship and generosity here in Thailand.

Even being old I never lacked for free pussy in my own country, if I had just looked for that.
There was plenty for me. 28-30 year old's found me interesting for some reason. My sweet spot in my home country.

I did get married while I was here but not to a Thai. I wanted a different kind of woman and was not able to find one in Thailand.

There must be some but I didn't see her here.

I looked elsewhere and then found her. The one for me.

We have conversations, argue about politics in our respective countries and love life together. We are equals.

In fact her mother worried that I was just after the money. I believe that the mother has quite a bit but I'm not bothered to find out. I have enough.
Kind of ironic when in Thailand really.

Fact is that I didn't come looking for pussy young or old. Even though I'm not especially handsome or especially rich there always seemed to be plenty of pussy available quite for free, young and old. Some offered because they liked the person that I am.

One quite beautiful business owner asked me out because she had seen that my morals were good. But I knew that she wasn't my one so we never happened. She still likes me because I treated her with respect and didn't use her.

I looked instead for the right woman because I'm smarter than some dipsticks that write on here.

• Like 1

This is Southeast Asia for you. Saigon is the worst I've seen. The sidewalks are almost totally hijacked by parked motorbikes, shop-owner families having meals and the kinds of permanent obstructions shown in the photos above.

• Like 1

This is 100% true.

We much prefer to walk (arrived after living in NYC, Singapore, London - all very walkable) and in general Bangkok is a complete disaster on this front, so we specifically chose the only area we could find that could be walked without difficulty (Ratchadamri Rd -- easy to walk to Lumpini Park, Central World & the Siam-Childlom Skywalk).  Sidewalk is very wide, generally good condition, stroller-friendly and with few vendors or motorbikes.  We can even manage it with our 4-yr-old on his scooter, which would be pretty much impossible anywhere else in Bangkok.  We still drive or take the BTS occasionally depending on weather, pollution levels, etc., but I really can't imagine living in most any other part of Bangkok such as Sukhumvit, especially with a small child.

• Thanks 1