Bangkok: Most people complain about the terrible sidewalks

webfact

16 hours ago, herwin1234 said:

I sell "I Immigrated To A Tropical Country And All I Do Is Complain About The Sidewalks" t shirts. two sizes:  "fat" and "very fat". Plz pm me for more details and how to order. ( disclaimer to anyone who isnt sure: NO this is not a real advertisement!)

Really unfunny 'slogan', Really dumb post.

We can all laugh our socks off at your clever and hilarious 'jesting' when you have actually trodden in a small, innocent looking puddle of shallow water and find your self on your knees with your foot, ankle and severely grazed shin, halfway down a concealed hole in the sidewalk.

Then everyone can laugh at your rather silly post.

OK?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, bendejo said:

Denver Boot

A wheel clamp, also known as wheel boot, parking boot, or Denver boot, is a device that is designed to prevent motor vehicles from being moved. In its most common form, it consists of a clamp that surrounds a vehicle wheel, designed to prevent removal of both itself and the wheel.

17 hours ago, Jimbo2014 said:

terrible sidewalks, terrible electricity wiring, terrible pollution. Walking anywhere in Bangkok is a complete nightmare.  They could take a leaf from Singapore, Malaysia or even inner Manila! - and actually try to make a livable city rather than a city where the elite bubble themselves off in walled fortresses.  

Then it would not be Thailand...................warts & all.

On 6/16/2020 at 9:22 AM, pixelaoffy said:

Around Rama 4 they were cleared of vendors because people can't walk on SW. But guess what. Gradually drift back. Typical Thai way , rules and laws enforcement are only for a short time for public image !!!

Maybe correct, but don't forget for many people this is their only income and these people also have to eat.....

20 hours ago, ajarnmarc said:

In phuket town, people are discouraged from walking. Once a taxi see's you walking they will follow you down the road, asking you several times for a fare. When you show them your vehicle keys, trying to let them know you drove to where you are now. They simply don't care, you are fair game, and they will continue to follow you until you enter a place of business, then drive away. Once you depart that business, there will be another taxi, with different driver to follow you back to your vehicle. It's beyond local Thai people thinking how you might want to park down the road (like we have a choice) and walk to the place you have business to attend to. This is when you can even find a place to park in most towns, and the taxis take up every available parking spot in front of any popular location, and if all else fails there's the business owners to chase away anyone parking in front of the business, other than a taxi for my guess is they pay to park, I mean block the front of these businesses. Thailand at it's best...So sidewalks is like private land, which people feel is the best spot to sale something, plant something, let their daily laundry hang, you name it it's endless the uses the local can find for what we would refer to as sidewalk. 

You mean the Phuket mafia follow you down the road.

6 hours ago, Derek B said:

Then it would not be Thailand...................warts & all.

By that logic it could be argued that it wouldnt be Thailand if we cleaned up the pollution or if Immigration smiled.  I dont think it kills Thailand if it gradually addresses its shortfalls, and it certainly improves it for the Thai people.  Foreigners a bonus!  

No doubt there are a few million baht allocated to repairing/clearing the sidewalks, unfortunately, by the time the committee orgaanised to look into" the matter had taken their share, sorry, not enough left to actually do anything about it.

Come to Pattaya to see even worse sidewalks. Even the main police station, on beach road, block the entire sidewalk with their sign. Pedestrians have to walk on a 3 lane road to get by. This is one of busiest sidewalks in the entire city.

Where i live, in the town they have footpaths, the problem is that the curbs are 30+ cm high with no ramps and side soi's every 15 mt most people walk in the road traffic side, of parked cars, dragging suit cases and pushing strollers. To blame others for bad footpaths is passing the buck, as normally in my experience it is pure bad construction done on the cheapest quote, and best commission.

On 6/16/2020 at 4:46 PM, soi3eddie said:

Here, Here! I see nothing wrong with Thai vendors on the pavements (better than Motorcycles). It's part of the life, soul and charm of Bangkok and other Thai cities. OK, so often sanitisation maybe at question but my rule of thumb is that if there's long queue of local workers or residents every day then it can't be bad.

That's all well and good, until you get sick or injured and become wheelchair bound, or have partial or lost eyesight... but hey ho

you're alright Jack !!! 

10 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

That's all well and good, until you get sick or injured and become wheelchair bound, or have partial or lost eyesight... but hey ho

you're alright Jack !!! 

Even without the food vendors it's hard for wheelchair users to access Bangkok's sidewalks and pavements due to height of the kerbs and width restriction imposed by buildings/bridges/utility cabinets etc. I often notice that while out and about. Not easy for sight impaired too. Though somehow the wheelchair bound lottery vendors and blind singers do get about fine. Thanks anyway for your response. I am acutely aware of this as my uncle uses a wheelchair and is planning to visit soon. Also, I am in the mobility business so do see obstacles to passage. Food vendors are not the issue 

Edited by soi3eddie

In bkk in the centre everyone knows it is covered with sellers on side walks. at night.it has gone on for decades probadly.every now and then,they a have a clean up,then back to normal.during the day or early morning it is clear,night time we all know they come out to play.i don,t think that will change in hurry unless they get rid of the sellers,that will not change in a hurry

Edited by bristolgeoff