BANGKOK
bbi1

Sewerage smell in Bathroom - all condos/apartments in BKK have same problems?

Does your condo bathroom often have sewerage smell coming from the drain pipe?  

93 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I've lived in 2 different apartment condos (age of condos around 10- 14years old)  in BKK over a number of years. Both of them sometimes have a terrible smell that seems to be sewerage smell coming up from the drain pipe every now and then. I've also lived in a condo in Pattaya, but never had that problem.

Does your BKK condo bathroom often have sewerage smell coming from the drain pipe? I've also added a poll above.

Wondering if this is a BKK problem and what people here do to solve this, besides always keeping the bathroom door closed? Surely this is a health hazard. 

• Haha 1

make sure the rubber cup in the shower drain is fitted properly and covered in water.

Leave the plug in the basin, with 1/2 inch of water over.

Problem solved.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

3 minutes ago, steven100 said:

rip up the floor tiles and check that there in fact a U shape pipe fitted to stop gas smells.  

Can't do that, it's rented from the landlord.

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

make sure the rubber cup in the shower drain is fitted properly and covered in water.

Not sure what you mean about the rubber cup in shower drain. There's only a metal thing on top of the shower drain.

There's also a drain in the bathroom next to the toilet where the bum gun is. Also has a metal thing on top of that drain.

Bathroom sink pipe has the "bend" thing in the pipe under the bathroom sink.

Edited by bbi1

Keep the small syphon at the shower drain always clean and look that there is water in it. An other problem are the toilets. Often they don't use any seal like a wax ring and so there will be always smell coming from this pipe. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)

Wear a gas mask .Far easier than ripping open your floor.

Edited by anto
  • Haha 2

Simplest solution I have used in many places that have sewerage gas coming out of shower, bath, basins  or floor drains is to park a bottle of water on them.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, Dumbastheycome said:

Simplest solution I have used in many places that have sewerage gas coming out of shower, bath, basins  or floor drains is to park a bottle of water on them.

yes, i've already had to start doing this and i live in a new-build with a new drain system

toilet cleaner bottle is a good fit

edit^ dave's idea sounds better, I had baby scorpions coming up through mine

Edited by cyril sneer
  • Like 2