Sewerage smell in Bathroom - all condos/apartments in BKK have same problems?

bbi1

Does your condo bathroom often have sewerage smell coming from the drain pipe?  

97 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 6/16/2020 at 2:09 PM, PatOngo said:

Wait another 50 years, they may learn how to do correct plumbing by then....maybe!

Doubt it many often to forget to glue  the pipes together, when they do its  the cheapest  glue not the  better thicker  brand, they use the thinnest  wall  pipe  also, I never  use less than the 13.5 bar as its  much more durable, then when they leave pipes outdoors the sunlight will destroy pvc so I always spray paint them blue., they also rarely  sand the joints, if they do they dont  use  thinner   such as AAA cellulose to clean the joint of  any silicone residue  left on manufacturer  mold  release.

Most of this is either ignorance, mai pen rai or  laziness, or a  combination of  all 3. Theyll  happily repair  stuff  forever in fact they see it as "normal"

• Like 2

ALL condos/apartments in THAILAND have same problem..... Thais don't know how to properly do sewer/drain venting, they want to save a couple inches/centimeters of pipe 555

Edited by Mavideol
  • Thanks 2

On 6/17/2020 at 3:40 PM, gregk0543 said:

Silicone-Core-Kitchen-Bathroom-Pipe-SeweYes they dont know how to do plumbing and the gases come back up your shower and bathroom drains anything that doesnt have an s or p  bend in it. Thats what they are for. Also if your toilet is not sealed properly at its base it will come out there as they dont do a proper join to the toilet ceramic.

One solution not mentioned above are these silicon one way socks. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32660296420.html

visited the site and got this----

Deodorization Smell Proof Drains Pop Up Bathroom Floor Drain Silicone Sink Strainer Shower Channel Drain Odor Stopper Kitchen

Sorry, this item is no longer available!
  • Haha 1

Quick fix when I'm staying in a hotel with the problem is to fold up a towel, wet it down and throw it over the drain.  If it dries out, turn on the water for a few seconds.  

It's not ideal, but who wants to renovate a room you're only going to be staying in for a day or two?

• Like 1

It happens whenever we have a rain in Bangkok.  That evening the gases will rise us to my penthouse condo, and will come into the main bathroom up through the shower drain.  To combat this problem, I drop a small plastic cup with water and a few mothballs in it into the top of the drain, and then cover the drain area with a bottle of body wash.  Smells like mothballs, but then it solves the sewer gas smell. 

On 6/20/2020 at 11:57 AM, FritsSikkink said:

Or get a decent apartment.

Even so-called "decent" apartments, e.g., those which rent in the $4-5K USD/month range, have the same problem.

That's why I always have to chuckle at these nitwits who are asking Los Angeles prices for new condos here in BKK.

Like most things, they look pretty on the outside, but you soon realize the quality of the materials and the workmanship are <deleted>.

On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2020 at 10:16 PM, fusion58 said:

Even so-called "decent" apartments, e.g., those which rent in the $4-5K USD/month range, have the same problem.

That's why I always have to chuckle at these nitwits who are asking Los Angeles prices for new condos here in BKK.

Like most things, they look pretty on the outside, but you soon realize the quality of the materials and the workmanship are <deleted>.

Don't have that problem at all and have several apartments

I have tried all the suggestions to no avail in the past. What I found was the smell is coming from the toilet base. Thais don't use recommended gaskets or bolt the toilet down. Once I calked the base and covered the bolt hole area, problem solved.