Phrae residents cry foul as iconic building razed to ground

webfact

Phrae residents cry foul as iconic building razed to ground

By The Nation

800_2b8305c2d5322cb.jpg?v=1592286540

Phrae residents are demanding answers from authorities after one of the province’s most iconic vintage buildings, said to be more than 120 years old, was brought down.

The building belonged to a foreign company called Bombay Burma Trading Corporation, which ran a woodwork business in Thailand.

The destruction that took place at the Chetawan Arboretum is part of a Bt4.56-million reconstruction project.

Reporters have also found more old buildings that were brought down, such as the East Asiatic institution that was used to impart knowledge on forestry in Phrae.

The incident has shocked several locals, who were set to meet authorities responsible at 10am today (June 16) to learn more details and the reason behind the destruction.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30389699

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-06-16

• Sad 2

Maybe a wealthy powerful Bangkokian wants that land for his winter home with a pool, helo pad, horses and all the rest of it. Too often the people of Thailand are surprised by destruction of the history to please some unknown party.

Shocking! Could this be the other building? https://www.tourismthailand.org/Attraction/the-teak-museum

I've just been researching the old teak houses in Phrae for my work, and this news is almost unbelievable, given the extensive restoration efforts in Phrae made in recent decades.

I say "almost" because you can never count out the stupidity of people with regard to heritage and conservation in Thailand.

• Like 2

Maybe the land is Indian owned??  Back in 1863 it was a British company run by the Wallace Brothers.

Quote from company website:-

The Bombay Burmah Trading Corporation, Limited (BBTCL) is a 150 year old company. The company founded its fortunes on teak in the year 1863, as a public company, and everything that followed is history. The company is a leading concern of the Wadia Group, a reputed Indian business house with interests in plantations, foods, textiles, chemicals, electronics and light engineering, health care and real estate.Bombay Burmah, Bombay Dyeing and Britannia are the mastheads of the Wadia Group.

Possible hotel/leisure complex for rich Indian tourists???

Edited by Burma Bill
additional information
  • Like 1

On 6/16/2020 at 5:12 PM, sprq said:

Shocking! Could this be the other building? https://www.tourismthailand.org/Attraction/the-teak-museum

I've just been researching the old teak houses in Phrae for my work, and this news is almost unbelievable, given the extensive restoration efforts in Phrae made in recent decades.

I say "almost" because you can never count out the stupidity of people with regard to heritage and conservation in Thailand.

Or anywhere else in the world where big money is involved.

It was a beautiful old teak building! Most people in Phrae will say so what..."how much did they get for the teak?", that's as far a their interest will go!    ????????

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...