Two injured as pickup driver swerves to miss dog, hits tree

webfact

Two injured as pickup driver swerves to miss dog, hits tree

By Eakkapop Thongtub

1592289850_1-org.jpg

The pickup appeared to have swerved all the way onto the northbound lanes before serving back onto the traffic island and hitting the tree. Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: A man and his female partner suffered injuries after their pickup truck hit a tree on the Thepkrasattri Rd traffic island in Thalang early this morning (Jun 16) after the driver attempted to avoid hitting a dog that had walked out onto the road.

Police and rescue workers called to the scene, near the u-turn in front of Thai Watsadu on Thepkrasattri Rd southbound in Moo 5, Srisoonthorn, at 4:50am.

Rescue workers from Srisoonthorn Municipality were first on the scene to find a white Isuzu pickup truck with heavy damage to its front after it had slammed into a palm tree on the central reservation.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/two-injured-as-pickup-driver-swerves-to-miss-dog-hits-tree-76409.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2020-06-17

I have made up my minds long time ago that if i ever find myself in similar situation whereby the choice would be between my life and the the well being of people with me or the poor unfortunate animal in front of me, than the animal will lose each time...

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

I was taught during my Driver's training as well as my High Speed Law Enforcement Driver training that you never swerve for an animal.  Instead you brake at first than accelerate to lift the front of the vehicle a little higher up and drive through it, thus reducing the amount of front end damage and keeping yourself from either loosing control by swerving or hitting another vehicle or object.  Tree's never move out of your way, and just maybe the animalmay have a surge of energy and run out from in front of you instead of havingthat death wish.

Death wish? You must thinking of a lemming.

2 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Death wish? You must thinking of a lemming.

Well if it was a long line of cars piling into the rear of the one in front that they swerved with in order to miss the sleeping dog in the middle of the road, then yes they are all Lemmings.  ????

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Geoffggi said:

Brake don't swerve is the normal golden rule when confronting any animal on the public roads....!!!!

Right, unfortunately, most drivers in Thailand are not trained in driving.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Geoffggi said:
30 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

What if you end up hitting the police?

Accidents can & do happen...........

Yes, I remember now a couple of months ago a driver ploughed into a police motorbike, then went into default mode and ran away.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Almer said:

I do not believe this story until a see cctv of the animal in question.

This could be relevant: Teaching your dog not to cross the road:

I wonder if the same can be done to teach pedestrians with mobile phones?

6 hours ago, ezzra said:

I have made up my minds long time ago that if i ever find myself in similar situation whereby the choice would be between my life and the the well being of people with me or the poor unfortunate animal in front of me, than the animal will lose each time...

I made that choice once a long time ago, it didn't end well for the dog. 

However my car was undamaged, I was uninjured and so was the driver coming in the opposite direction.

If I swerved it would have been a different story.

• Like 2

All this don't swerve stuff. It's instinctive. That's why you have to be trained and the training reinforced. I bet you, most of you will swerve, if the chance arises. Sometimes, there is no chance to brake or swerve. Then, the animal is toast.

Reaction time plus steering wheel movement is less than reaction time, move foot to brake, brake.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Scott Tracy said:

All this don't swerve stuff. It's instinctive. That's why you have to be trained and the training reinforced. I bet you, most of you will swerve, if the chance arises. Sometimes, there is no chance to brake or swerve. Then, the animal is toast.

Reaction time plus steering wheel movement is less than reaction time, move foot to brake, brake.

That's very true. Avoid object in front is instinctive. Just natural reaction. But then if a pole is the alternative. I take the dog. Just takes being aware of surroundings. Not with speed or intoxicant.

Two injured as pickup driver swerves to miss dog, hits tree. 

When I was driving Trucks in Aus the Truck owners told us drivers ,Don't Swerve, Run over the Animal .

"If you swerve and smash the Truck The Insurance Doesn't Pay." 

Very spooky! This almost happened to me just yesterday.

On a long drive, brother in law driving the Hilux (a relatively new driver of just 2 years) a dog ran out. It was around dawn and raining. Instictively he swerved left towards the tree lined bank. Maybe doing about 70 kph. Instinctively I shouted NO! and he straightened up before hitting the verge.

I told him in my best Thai 'Hit dog, dog die, hit tree, I die, you die, my wife die!' I said it sternly as a genuine lesson for him. He laughed, so did the wife. So even more sternly i repeated it and said this is not a joke. A few expletives helped me get my point across.

Both went quiet for 5 minutes. Will he learn? I hope so.

"Mai Pen Lai, then you die"