Sluggish economy, deficient government pulling down Thailand’s competitiveness

webfact

By The Nation

800_ec719d2ec608c6d.jpeg?v=1592320309

Poor economic performance and an inefficient government has brought Thailand’s global competitiveness ranking down by four places this year.

Thailand now stands 29 out of 63 economies, down from last year’s ranking of 25, according to the IMD World Competitiveness Ranking 2020 hosted by Switzerland-based International Institute for Management Development.

The report released on Tuesday (June 16) also showed that Thailand’s scores had dropped to 75.387 from 77.233 last year.

The Kingdom’s ranking in competitiveness had been further weighed down by its economic performance, which fell six places and government efficiency, which dropped three slots.

“Thailand’s place in the list has been affected by a sluggish economy, no longer being attractive to foreign investor and concerns about labour shortage in the long run,” said Teeranun Srihong, chairman Thailand Management Association (TMA).

“Another key factor is poor government efficiency, taking into account a weakening rule of law, poorly run key national institutions and a deterioration of financial stability.” 

However, the country did better in business efficiency and showed slight improvement in infrastructure development. 

“Thailand’s overall of competitiveness scores, however, remain low as it has many challenges to overcome such as education, public health, environment as well as science and technology infrastructure,” Teeranun said. 

The IMD this year also added new indicators to its ranking methodology, namely sustainable development goals, democracy index and total early-stage entrepreneurial activity. 

“Thailand’s ranking was up five places last year, but down four places this year, suggesting that the country’s ability to efficiently respond to fast-changing environments remains the biggest challenge in the long run,” he added. 

The top three countries in this year’s competitiveness ranking are Singapore, Denmark and Switzerland in that order. 

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/business/30389738

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-06-17

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, webfact said:

How long before the government's fake news centre get hold of this. Will I get 'attitude adjustment' too, for quoting the above?

Perhaps I'd better write my will now.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

The Kingdom’s ranking in competitiveness had been further weighed down by its economic performance, which fell six places and government efficiency, which dropped three slots

“Another key factor is poor government efficiency, taking into account a weakening rule of law, poorly run key national institutions and a deterioration of financial stability.” 

“Thailand’s overall of competitiveness scores, however, remain low as it has many challenges to overcome such as education, public health, environment as well as science and technology infrastructure,” Teeranun said.

Ouch.... Ouch... Ouch !!!!!

3 strikes and you're out !

• Haha 2

Some of the things he says are absolutely correct. There is absolutely nothing, and I mean nothing, this government has shown in regards to developing and sustaining a growing economy. 

Investment is steadily leaving the country and their big chestnut of the EEC looks like nothing more than a dream. The sorts of ideas they are coming up are laughable (chim shop taste whatever), but that is what you can expect when the government are ran by guys that have spent their life in the military and posses no economic or political skills. 

6 hours ago, Dustdevil said:

I rue the USA #10 ranking, which used to toggle between 1 and 2. Yes, I blame Trump--and that includes the corona virus, which Trump exacerbated by untold numbers.

I think Trump must have been bought into every thread on here for the last year. Just face it you've got him for a few more years

When bars finally open , I wonder is I can afford a beer with the new menu prices..Thailands answer to lack of customers seems to be , jack the prices up to cover losses,not lower prices to encourage business..

19 hours ago, Dustdevil said:

I rue the USA #10 ranking, which used to toggle between 1 and 2. Yes, I blame Trump--and that includes the corona virus, which Trump exacerbated by untold numbers.

Wondering what 'competitive' means .... it doesn't appear to be anything to do with size.

USA is still number 1, UK is still number 4 or 5.

Norway & Denmark, in the top 10, are completely broke.

Edited by BritManToo