Khao San Road - The New Normal

2long

KSR is a backpackers delight .... dreadlocks and all the trimmings. Probably won't be the same from here on in. Cheap hotel rooms and second hand pool bars blasting Bob Dylan and the zombies. 

Not everyone's scene, I took a cab over to check it out 25 yrs ago ..... i got outta the cab ... took one look and got back in. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 4
  • Haha 1

Just a general thought: What happened to all those public web-cams?

There was a time when lots of public web cams were in lots of places and it was easy to see on the internet live what was going on in those places.

Do many of these public web-cams still exist? That would be a perfect way to see "personally" what is going on.

• Like 1

Yeah, my SO went through a phase of getting her hair plaited there, with extensions, I'd spend my time browsing through the bookshops, those backpackers certainly had eclectic tastes, and just drinking and enjoying the spectacle at that bar that was behind the temple. We'd usually end up drinking a margarita at a cocktail bar before taking the bus home, or getting a pizza and a bottle of red wine. Need to go back sometime, though I fear it's lost its charm. Nice memories for sure.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, steven100 said:

KSR is a backpackers delight .... dreadlocks and all the trimmings. Probably won't be the same from here on in. Cheap hotel rooms and second hand pool bars blasting Bob Dylan and the zombies. 

Not everyone's scene, I took a cab over to check it out 25 yrs ago ..... i got outta the cab ... took one look and got back in. 

I got off deh bus about 28 years ago. Took one look, went to deh Buddy guesthouse...stayed there for about two weeks before moving up to Chiangmai. One of the best two week parties I ever had.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, UPDEHSOI said:

I got off deh bus about 28 years ago. Took one look, went to deh Buddy guesthouse...stayed there for about two weeks before moving up to Chiangmai. One of the best two week parties I ever had.

did you meet some barefoot hippies with dreadlocks and silver rings in every part of their body, and they have clothes that resemble a potato sack with holes cut for the arms and were they all smoking marajuana. If that's what you saw then you were definitely at KSR. 

Edited by steven100
  • Sad 3
  • Thanks 1

On 6/17/2020 at 9:36 AM, steven100 said:

Now they'll go to Pai, well, if they ever open the borders of Mae Hong Song province to dirty, Covid-carrying farangs again that is. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, owenm said:

Khaosan Rd and Soi Rambuttri last weekend....

Thanks owenm for the pics.

Unless it rains tomorrow/Friday evening, I will get a better idea of how the first weekend nightlife will be. Certainly not expecting much, other than some young Thais, as there are no tourists left.

Let's see....

• Like 1

8 hours ago, owenm said:

received_283491966107707.jpeg

Young lady on post seems to be magically balancing in mid air. Very impressive!

Did KSR in the '90s. Totally different now of course, devoidness of people aside. Shame to see it 'beautified' and lose that edginess. Par for the course I guess.

• Haha 2

On 6/18/2020 at 1:11 PM, connda said:

Now they'll go to Pai, well, if they ever open the borders of Mae Hong Song province to dirty, Covid-carrying farangs again that is. 

It's open now from what I read

Khao San Road on the Friday night was depressingly dead. I mean DEAD! 

There's a posh bar that was open and a film crew making some scene made up for most of those there. I have no idea if it opened for the film crew or not. https://g.page/Theonekhaosan?share

95% of businesses were closed, including all 7Elevens and McDonald's has closed DOWN!

Khao San Center was sort of open at 8pm, then rolled its shutters down.

Chart had no customers until we arrived and charged 165B/large Heineken. When we left there were about a dozen Thai customers.

Tom Yum Kung looked nice but they only sold Chang draft, but apparently that changes as of today.

Buddy was open and had some customers.

Nat Guesthouse was the best, and the large Heinekens were 90B!  

Round in Rambutri alley, it was the same story; 95% of businesses closed.imageproxy.php?img=&key=de238a8f491e857f

105543637_684970012060673_6506979206953696673_n.jpg

105699897_358274635148742_5360487630852754544_n.jpg

104459188_741485729931870_5361393935731520117_n.jpg

Edited by 2long
duplicate pics
  • Like 1

On 6/16/2020 at 7:36 PM, steven100 said:

I thought the government sanitized it. No? They lied?

• Haha 1

KSR as shown in the pics is dead, it's a ghost town. No tourists, no customers and things are closing down one by one. It's alot like Pattaya is as well. No flights equals no tourists and now tourists may choose Vietnam over Thailand. 

RIP ksr.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/17/2020 at 2:36 PM, steven100 said:

Had you visited more recently you might have noticed that the rooms were not cheap, nor the <deleted> stuff being sold to naive bagpackers.

For cheap rooms one had to stay in a side road off KSR.

Anyway, it lost any charm it might have had once the Thai money men took it over.

• Like 1

On 6/24/2020 at 4:18 PM, steven100 said:

KSR as shown in the pics is dead, it's a ghost town. No tourists, no customers and things are closing down one by one. It's alot like Pattaya is as well. No flights equals no tourists and now tourists may choose Vietnam over Thailand. 

RIP ksr.

LOL. KSR died long ago. Only the reputation still lived on.

To make The Beach, they used Krabi town instead of the real place and that was in 2000.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I went back on Wednesday this week.

Things are more open, but I'd say only 50-60% of the businesses are open for business, but the majority of them were quite busy, in fact there were several that were packed.... with Thais.

The famous Khao San Center has changed to bean bags out the front and it was quiet (customer numbers) but very very far from quiet for music volume. It felt louder than a Friday or Saturday night in 2019. Seriously loud. ????????????

Accidentally got in a taxi going the wrong way home ???? only to end up in Cowboy, which was the same (50-60% open and plenty of ladies)... some bars offered 90-100B beers, which was nice, but the lady drinks were 190B, meaning 'one for you and one for her' comes to the same as it used to be.

• Thanks 1