Thai road carnage: Monthly death toll already 616 - Year total well past 6,000

webfact

Thai road carnage: Monthly death toll already 616 - Year total well past 6,000

11pm.jpg

Image: Daily News

The death toll at the scene of accidents in Thailand in 2020 now stands at 6,313.

In the first 16 days of June the toll is now 616 after 47 were added to the numbers on Tuesday. 

Despite a two month nighttime curfew the country looks well on the way to repeating last year's 14,907 at the scene deaths, notes Thaivisa. 

Daily News - who publish the figures every day in an effort to raise awareness - said in their half-hearted headline that drivers really ought to look to their left and right and not lose concentration.

This was the lesson to be learned after a Toyota Altis driver had to be cut out of their vehicle after a collision with a ten wheel truck in Thanyaburi heading towards Rangsit north of Bangkok. 

11pm1.jpg

Picture: Daily News

According to Dr Thaejing Siripanich who heads a Thai anti drink driving group there were 13,956 fatalities at the scene of accidents in 2018. This rose to 14,907 in 2019 and is already 6,313 to date in 2020. 

Daily News said that 600 had died so far this month. We added up the figures and came to 616. 

DPM Prawit Wongsuwan said last year that he acknowledged that the death toll from all fatalities on the Thai roads each year is in excess of 20,000.

11pm2.jpg

Image: Daily News

Most estimates put the figures at between 24,000 and 26,000 fatalities annually when deaths on the way to and subsequently in hospitals are added to the tally. 

In addition around one million people are maimed and otherwise injured each year, notes Thaivisa. 

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-06-17

Although I sound like a broken record on this topic-the best guess by Asian Correspondent in 2015 was 80 fatalities per day.This is far more realistic than the whitewashed figures of the Gov't which derive theirs from Newton's 'Principia Mathematica' or some such tome..

There would be a slight trend downward over the last 3 months or so but they will be very enthusiastic in making up for lost time.

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, warcy said:

The death toll of accidents is much greater than the death toll of Covid-19. I hope the government realize this.

Forget it, they are interested only in their bank slips from Singapore.

• Like 1

Not sure there is a lot of relevance between road deaths & the virus.

An interesting fact is that I once asked a rural police patrol on a very busy stretch of Highway 1 "why do you not have any mufti cops on the road ?"

Answer : It infringes on human rights.  My  Answer : Bulls  t

Real reason: No funding for fuel 

12 minutes ago, smudger1951 said:

How do the Insurance companies cope with the number of claims for vehicles, personal injury and fatalities. Surely, this must affect premiums.

Yes, in my case the insurance company raised the premium from 14.000 to 17.000 THB, though I expected a no-claims bonus. T.I.T.

3 hours ago, BobbyL said:

Why is nothing ever done to start to correct these abhorrent stats? 69 people in one day is utterly unbelievable. It is like a daily terrorist attack in its numbers. 

Work-shy, inept, self-serving "poo yais" will never be able to create a safe, regulated and policed driving environment. 

Edited by lostmebike
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, smudger1951 said:

How do the Insurance companies cope with the number of claims for vehicles, personal injury and fatalities. Surely, this must affect premiums.

No ridiculous liability payouts help keep the premiums low.

A motor accident quadraplegic might get a $10m payout in the USA, £1m in the UK, for example, not to forget the legal fees. Very different to what an accident victim might expect here in Thailand.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, webfact said:

The death toll at the scene of accidents in Thailand in 2020 now stands at 6,313.

Yet this is tolerated by the government... while 58 deaths shuts the country down?

Edited by hotchilli
  • Like 2