BANGKOK
webfact

Thai road carnage: Monthly death toll already 616 - Year total well past 6,000

On 6/17/2020 at 7:44 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Absolutely agree...

At 6000 deaths for half of the year the average daily total is about 32 deaths per day, which is about half of the normal average of about 60 dead per day (as you mentioned).

I awaiting some true political genius to claim success in fighting the road deaths as the numbers have halved !!!!

YOU will have a long long wait...!!!!

7 minutes ago, essox essox said:

but it is THE LAW to have insurance for any vehicle to be on the roads.......

I know it's the law, but that does not matter in Thailand. How many uninsured vehicles do you think are on the roads here?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 6/17/2020 at 6:06 PM, Airbagwill said:

"The problem is", "The problem is", "The problem is", "The problem is", "The problem is", 

Anyone who thinks there is a single solution to road safety in Thailand is WRONG!

there is a solution.....this being.....have PROPER QUALIFIED EXAMINERS, who WOULD NOT pass a thai....

I would love to be an examiner.....am sure MANY THAIS would NOT get a pass grade from me !!!

I have 48 yrs driving experience......and passed my Uk driving test FIRST TIME......

Edited by essox essox
wrong spelling

4 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I know it's the law, but that does not matter in Thailand. How many uninsured vehicles do you think are on the roads here?

i can not guess is my answer......thousands is all i can say......

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, essox essox said:

but it is THE LAW to have insurance for any vehicle to be on the roads.......

The yearly road tax on a vehicle includes a basic third party type national Insurance 

Most Thai people especially on newer vehicles will have a comprehensive cover.

Unfortunately E for enforcement on those without is pretty ineffective.

So how does insurance reduce road deaths?

16 hours ago, Airbagwill said:

It would be nice to think that people could educate themselves on this topic, especially before posting ill thought out nonsense.

you don't seem to realise that above are examples of how people fail to address the topic.

I have posted a huge amount of information on this myself, which it appears you haven't noticed - so QED and the post above.

No I didn't Because that post with all the Information (just found it) Wasn't there when I Replied to you're post.

You Posted that Info Just after I posted .Both post where done at about Same time . Thank you for the information.:wai:

On 6/17/2020 at 6:45 PM, possum1931 said:

There is not such a thing as an inactive post in the Thai police, they are all inactive, from the generals with their fancy ranks and uniforms covered in bling, to the officers standing at the school gates watching the underage children riding past on their parents motorbikes.

watching the underage children riding past on their parents motorbikes.

with NO HELMETS !!!

• Like 1

On 6/17/2020 at 5:02 PM, fred110 said:

Maybe cars and motor bikes should practice social distancing.

great idea but how DO/CAN they enforce distance from one vehicle to the other ????!!!!

On 6/17/2020 at 5:07 PM, Thongsaeng said:

"Looking left and right" ?

we were taught at school

"look left and right and then right again"

On 6/17/2020 at 5:12 PM, Bangkok Barry said:

There are many reasons that Thais drive as they do.

1 - I have never detected any sign of common sense in a Thai, and I've been living here for over 25 years. I am not sure how you teach that, but anyway there is no movement to do so.

2 - The Thais have a Me First mentality that is deeply ingrained, and that is the last thing you want to see in a driver.

3 - The education system demands that you do not think for yourself but listen and obey, so Thais do not develop the necessary skills to actually think. That may result in my first point above.

4 - Learning to drive in a proper and responsible manner is quite difficult, and Thais do not do difficult. Thais do 'near enough', but on the roads that isn't 'good enough'. One mistake can cost lives, so being lucky enough to get it right most of the time isn't good enough either.

5 - They have absolutely no concept that the vehicle they are attempting to operate is a potential killer. No concept at all.

6 - Along with inadequate teaching of all things about how to drive properly and safely, there is no test to determine if you have reached a standard where you are not a danger to yourself and others before you take to the road.

7 - Thais do not seem able to join the dots, and realise that if, for example, they drive at 120 kms an hour five metres behind the vehicle in front, or drive at night with no rear light (or front light if they are driving on the wrong side of the road because they have no concept of the danger), then they would have no time to react if the vehicle in front breaks suddenly. Ask any Thai what their safe braking distance is and they would have no idea.

8 - There are zero police patrols to help prevent accidents by pulling aside selfish and stupid drivers. Their only presence is setting up road blocks which seems in my experience to have only one purpose - to check your tax disc is in the window and up to date.

9 - Police have absolutely no interest in enforcing the law even when they are static beside the road, watching kids three or four on a bike go by with no helmet, no license, no ability to properly control the bike they are on. And that goes also for the parents and schools who allow Thailand's future to play Russian Roulette every time they go out. The police know they get paid anyway, so why work?

10 - The government does nothing to resolve the road death/accident toll as nothing practically can be done. The problem began decades ago when Thais first began to drive in numbers. No meaningful test was introduced and enforced, and now it is far, far too late. It would mean retraining every driver (and who would do that - it would be similar to those who teach English not being able to speak the language themselves). And it would mean the drivers having to take a proper western-style test before gaining a license. And it would mean police patrols to catch those who drive as if they are playing a video game. Now, anyone can drive as they like and put themselves and others in danger as they know that have zero chance of being caught. They can drive that way with total impunity. And it would require said (non-existent) police to actually enforce the law. And not one of things is possible in Thailand,

To finish, nothing can or will change and survival on Thai roads will continue to be a lottery. All we can do is remember the words that were used in the 70s police drama Hill Street Blues as the force were sent out on patrol - 'Let's be careful out there'.

great post.....well said......

• Thanks 1

On 6/17/2020 at 5:45 PM, SinCityGr8One said:

I've got Buddha and revered Monks on my dashboard and a pocket full of Amulets. What could possibly go wrong today?

need more than these.....!!!

9 minutes ago, digger70 said:

No I didn't Because that post with all the Information (just found it) Wasn't there when I Replied to you're post.

You Posted that Info Just after I posted .Both post where done at about Same time . Thank you for the information.:wai:

This info was there very early on and removed by a mod.

You just didn't read it 

Furthermore this is not the first thread on road safety on Thaivisa and there has been a plethora of posts on the topic.

Also Thaivisa is not the only source in the world for information on road safety... I would suggest that people familiarise themselves with the basics with a little home work before posting baseless and wildly inaccurate statements on these threads.

It is their responsibility to educate themselves

6 minutes ago, essox essox said:

we were taught at school

"look left and right and then right again"

No you weren't..  you were taught "left, right, left again" this all depends on the road rules of the country you were in.

This precaution was aimed at reducing "vulberable" deaths and was later modified by GreenCross code yo look all around which was found to be more effective.

It was an I stryction for pedestrians wanting to cross a road.

When driving in other countries the opposite would apply to those who driver on the rhs of the road. 

However in vehicles the practice can be different.

In countries across Europe for vehicles, the default rule gave priority to the right which meant that people in side roads had priority.

In Thailand the opposite applies and the default rule is that priority is on the left.

This means when someone comes out in front of you it is because they CAN .

This is a daft law and needs to be addressed but it leads to a lot of driving habits that many westerners are not aware of or prepared for.

9 minutes ago, Airbagwill said:

You just didn't read it 

Furthermore this is not the first thread on road safety on Thaivisa and there has been a plethora of posts on the topic.

Also Thaivisa is not the only source in the world for information on road safety... I would suggest that people familiarise themselves with the basics with a little home work before posting baseless and wildly inaccurate statements on these threads.

Can you Please be Not so Negative All the time . In the name of satan Be Quiet for a while .Be Positive for ones or Don't Post .  😇

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Airbagwill said:

You just didn't read it 

Maybe your thesis should be presented to the Thai Authorities for review as you are not going to change Thai driving habits on this forum. This is not the Thai Driving Education forum. 

Topic closed. 

• Like 1