5 year D/L renewal - now elearning website?

In the past I've always been to the local office (AEK Udon Thani) and renewed my 5 year car & motorbike licences.

Can anyone throw some light on whether the process has now changed?

Today I asked my wife to check if the DLT was open for licence renewals after the Covid restrictions.

Local office didn't answer the phone (not unusual). My wife phoned the main office for Udon at Nongsung.

She asked if they were all open now. Was told they were, but needed to register online first for an appointment.

The staff told here to go to  http://dltelearning.com  

The website is only in Thai and she had trouble trying to work out what they actually want. Plus me being a ferang might well throw a spanner in an automated application.

A second question in all this:

In the past I've taken my yellow housebook as proof of address. No messing about having to get two letters from immigration.

The DLT have always issued me new two licences, but in English at both the top and bottom part.

I've read people have been able to get their licence changed into Thai & English (same as a Thai national has) by having a yellow housebook.

Was this straightforward, just by asking? Your name is in Thai on the housebook (plus on the pink ID card).

I have much the same issues.  The website is not much use to a none Thai and they are not answering the phone to my wife.  I am going to the Pattaya DLT tomorrow to try to get the story on licence renewal and I will report back on my findings, if I find out anything that is.  The link you give is of course in Thai.  At the bar at the top of the page the topics are in English ( not much use for Thais who don't read it) and yet the page is in Thai, so no use for we who and not Thai readers.  It really is a bit pathetic, but normal around here.  

Edited by Pilotman
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Pilotman said:

I have much the same issues.  The website is not much use to a none Thai and they are not answering the phone to my wife.  I am going to the Pattaya DLT tomorrow to try to get the story on licence renewal and I will report back on my findings, if I find out anything that is.  

That's our Plan A too, unless someone comes up with further details here.

• Like 1

Not hard. Used google translate for English. When you register it requires a 13 digit number so add zeros to your PP number to make it 13 numbers. That will get you into the elearning module. View the video (in Thai) and answer the three questions. The correct answer in English has a bracket so you no errors. When finished print out the completion and go to DLT. My office wasn't using queues so I just went in and did it. 

If no elearning they were sending people away.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, checkered flag said:

Not hard. Used google translate for English. When you register it requires a 13 digit number so add zeros to your PP number to make it 13 numbers. That will get you into the elearning module. View the video (in Thai) and answer the three questions. The correct answer in English has a bracket so you no errors. When finished print out the completion and go to DLT. My office wasn't using queues so I just went in and did it. 

I just did it without using 13 digits - only my 9-digit passport number. I'm surprised - their queuing app will only take a 13-digit ID.

So from what I can see so far, I can't even login.

It wants you to login with your google account. I'm reluctant to do that, being un-trusting of Thai internet security.

I wanted to create an account on this website, but I can't see an option. Is there one?

I've logged in (9 digit passport ok, but the passWORD needs to be 8 characters including a little one. HappyDocGrumpySleepyBashfulSneezyDopeySnowWhite was too long.

Anyway it look like they couldn't get their own image, and had to steal one from Google, of a left-hand drive car. ????????????

image.png.25af35878374b85b75a3515ac0225375.png

I have no idea what to do next, but will plod along until I become Grumpy! ????

11 minutes ago, 2long said:

I've logged in (9 digit passport ok, but the passWORD needs to be 8 characters including a little one. HappyDocGrumpySleepyBashfulSneezyDopeySnowWhite was too long.

Anyway it look like they couldn't get their own image, and had to steal one from Google, of a left-hand drive car. ????????????

Thanks.

When you managed to login, did you use a non-gmail account?

Was it a non gmail account? If it was, where is the page to do this?

So far, I cannot find the page to create a new account.

I can see the first page that keeps pushing you to login with gmail, but I'm trying to avoid that if I can.

Sorry and yes. I used Yahoo Mail, not Gmail or Google Mail. Top right you 'register'.

My browser automatically translates, which is a help.

Edited by 2long
Grammar errors

This is google translated from their http://dltelearning.com/login/  web page:

The general public is able to view course content with the key symbol in the upper right corner. If no key symbol appears You must be registered to use it.

Is this your first time here?

Hello!

Please apply for a new membership so you can Can access the lessons in each course that may be needed Password, which you don't need to worry until you become a member, please follow these steps

1. Fill out the new membership application form .
  2. The system will send an email to the email you provided.
  3. Read the email, then click on The link in that email
  4. Once clicked, your account will be confirmed. You can log in to the system immediately.
  5. Choose the course you want to study.
  6. If asked, enter the code for attendance. Enter the code your teacher provided.
  7. From now on you can go to study and do activities in each course. The next time, just enter the username and password from this page.
Edited by RichCor
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, checkered flag said:

It will not translate on my computer.

Okay, got in, and now it says that no training is available. In my wildest imaginings, I can't see how a rural Thai can ever negotiate  this,  many of them can't even read. let alone have access to, or use a computer.   

Edited by Pilotman
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

It will not translate on my computer.

Okay, got in, and now it says that no training is available. In my wildest imaginings, I can't see how a rural Thai can ever negotiate  this,  many of them can't even read. let alone have access to, or use a computer.   

Yes, I've got to the same point.

All I can find is Temporary Licence. I want a 5 year, not temporary:

111111.png

edit:

Just received an email from the DLT (google translated):

"Welcome to Temporary personal driving license training!
* Training conditions
- DLT e-learning trainees must complete the training within the period specified by the Department of Land Transport.
- The training results can be used to process a driver's license. According to the period specified by the Department of Land Transport"

Does this mean the 5 year licence is called 'temporary' rather than 5 years?

Edited by bluesofa
Addendum

11 minutes ago, johng said:

http://dltelearning.com/login/signup.php

@bluesofa  I assume you filled in the user account details in English  not Thai ?

elearn_new1.jpg.2eb387fc848703e298ddf96c6c6ab849.jpg

elearn_new2.jpg.7db69ade5fda2f7594b617685c65a929.jpg

Yes.

I did it in English. I've managed to get an account now, (my browser didn't show the link to that page)

So I've changed and I'm Using Chrome right now, it's translating too.

edit: I also had no question about province or country.

Edited by bluesofa

2 hours ago, checkered flag said:

Not hard. //When you register it requires a 13 digit number so add zeros to your PP number to make it 13 numbers.

Not hard?

And what about countries for which the PP "number" includes also alphabetic letters?

They are of course refused as "ID number" on registration page... ????

10 minutes ago, johng said:

Strange  maybe a Firefox issue ?  anyway it seems they are not compulsory to fill in.

That was when I started using Chrome that the country etc questions didn't appear.

It didn't stop me being accepted though.

Just looking through the "temporary" licence test. There are maybe ten sections. The total time to complete them all is about 7 hours?

Have you done this - did it take 7 hours?

Is this a google translation error, or am I looking at the wrong things again?

My wife reading the Thai seems to thing the "temporary" is correct.

If it's for 5 years, why not just write 5 years?

33 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Yes, I've got to the same point.

All I can find is Temporary Licence. I want a 5 year, not temporary:

111111.png

edit:

Just received an email from the DLT (google translated):

"Welcome to Temporary personal driving license training!
* Training conditions
- DLT e-learning trainees must complete the training within the period specified by the Department of Land Transport.
- The training results can be used to process a driver's license. According to the period specified by the Department of Land Transport"

Does this mean the 5 year licence is called 'temporary' rather than 5 years?

I am interpreting all this to mean that e learning stops you having to watch that dreadful video again when you come to renew and/or is for those who are applying for a new, first licence from scratch, as it talks about talking to your 'teacher', to select the appropriate course to take. As with most things with Thai officialdom, who knows and who can tell, as it's all as clear as mud.    

14 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

Not hard?

And what about countries for which the PP "number" includes also alphabetic letters?

They are of course refused as "ID number" on registration page... ????

I take it that's the ID No on your present licence - including the letters?

2 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Is this a google translation error, or am I looking at the wrong things again?

If you are looking to renew a licence then yes I think you're looking at the wrong thing.

( you are not looking to obtain a new temporary licence or even renew one

5 years is not a temporary license)

I was told the other day ( by vehicle testing /MOT center)  that to renew licenses you now must make an appointment online first not just turn up  as before...normally ( well before) there are no tests to renew except for the eyesight and reaction tests  carried out at the DLT

3 hours ago, checkered flag said:

'That will get you into the elearning module. View the video'

What I can't find (or Pilotman either) is where this video is for 5 year licence renewal.

As I said earlier after entering my existing licence details, the DLT have sent me an email as if I'm a new driver and it looks like about 7 hours work of online learning.

2 hours ago, 2long said:

image.png.25af35878374b85b75a3515ac0225375.png

I have no idea what to do next, but will plod along until I become Grumpy! ????

It need to be 13 digits or it wont let you in. Add zeros to your passport number and you should be OK. If you passport has letters try with leaving them out. Mind was all numbers so I added 4 zeros 0000xxxxxxxxx. If it doesn't work you'll have to ask staff at DLT.  You long in to DLT xxxx (province) then choose DL renew.

23 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

'That will get you into the elearning module. View the video'

What I can't find (or Pilotman either) is where this video is for 5 year licence renewal.

As I said earlier after entering my existing licence details, the DLT have sent me an email as if I'm a new driver and it looks like about 7 hours work of online learning.

I think I got into the wrong module and it were forever but I got busy with something else. I even passed it when I went to bed. In the morning it quickly completed and displayed the completion which I printed out for DLT.

17 minutes ago, checkered flag said:

It need to be 13 digits or it wont let you in. Add zeros to your passport number and you should be OK. If you passport has letters try with leaving them out. Mind was all numbers so I added 4 zeros 0000xxxxxxxxx. If it doesn't work you'll have to ask staff at DLT.  You long in to DLT xxxx (province) then choose DL renew.

I think it's going to be the DLT staff.

Someone else earlier said they added just their passport number (not 13 digits) and it let them in. I did the same.

Looks like from what you said I need to precede my passport number with 0s to make it thirteen digits, despite the fact my passport number (ID No) on my D/L is only nine digits with no preceding 0s.

The system won't let me edit those digits though.

I'm guessing that's why it sees me as a new driver.

2 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

I think it's going to be the DLT staff.

Someone else earlier said they added just their passport number (not 13 digits) and it let them in. I did the same.

Looks like from what you said I need to precede my passport number with 0s to make it thirteen digits, despite the fact my passport number (ID No) on my D/L is only nine digits with no preceding 0s.

The system won't let me edit those digits though.

I'm guessing that's why it sees me as a new driver.

Mine was a renewal. I only used the pp# plus leading zeros to make the required 13 numbers. On the first try it gave a message that 13 numbers was required. The DL# was the number on my current license. That let me into the elearning module. 

I've just tried to edit my profile but the only field I can't change is my ID passport number. I planned to add 00 at the beginning. But looking at my soon-to-expire licence, my ID is my 9-digit passport number anyway.

1 minute ago, 2long said:

I've just tried to edit my profile but the only field I can't change is my ID passport number. I planned to add 00 at the beginning. But looking at my soon-to-expire licence, my ID is my 9-digit passport number anyway.

Same for me just add 4 zero plus the PP#.It worked for me.