5 year D/L renewal - now elearning website?

Hi all,

My experience at the Land and Transport office (near Bang Chak bts) in Bangkok on Friday, 26/06/20.

I went in to book an appointment to renew my 5 year D/L, which had expired in early June when the office was closed.

1. Queued up at information and when I reached the front and asked for an appointment was sent to another 'side' queue.

2. Queued up again, and showed the lady my expired license, passport and work permit. This cause much confusion because I have permanent residence and don't have a 'valid' visa in my passport. Showing the lady my PR book caused even more confusion as she had never seen one before. Off she went to her supervisor and they spent a couple of minutes discussing this (I could see them from where I was standing). They then went up another level and the manager (I assume) knew what to do and came and dealt with me personally. She needed my pink Id card and told me to bring my tabian baan also (blue house residency book) when i came back.

3. I was given an appointment for 13th August 2020. When I asked why so long, she waver her hand at the (very crowded) office, and said they were very busy. Hard to argue with that!

No mention of on-line tutorials, and she said I didn't need a medical certificate either (although I think I'll get a cheap one at the local clinic before I go, anyway). Looking at the DLT website (I know its not necessarily a particularly reliable resource, but I thought I'd check anyway) there is also no mention of the on-line thing for 5 year license renewals.

Hope the above helps.

Steve

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, stbkk said:

Hi all,

My experience at the Land and Transport office (near Bang Chak bts) in Bangkok on Friday, 26/06/20.

I went in to book an appointment to renew my 5 year D/L, which had expired in early June when the office was closed.

1. Queued up at information and when I reached the front and asked for an appointment was sent to another 'side' queue.

2. Queued up again, and showed the lady my expired license, passport and work permit. This cause much confusion because I have permanent residence and don't have a 'valid' visa in my passport. Showing the lady my PR book caused even more confusion as she had never seen one before. Off she went to her supervisor and they spent a couple of minutes discussing this (I could see them from where I was standing). They then went up another level and the manager (I assume) knew what to do and came and dealt with me personally. She needed my pink Id card and told me to bring my tabian baan also (blue house residency book) when i came back.

3. I was given an appointment for 13th August 2020. When I asked why so long, she waver her hand at the (very crowded) office, and said they were very busy. Hard to argue with that!

No mention of on-line tutorials, and she said I didn't need a medical certificate either (although I think I'll get a cheap one at the local clinic before I go, anyway). Looking at the DLT website (I know its not necessarily a particularly reliable resource, but I thought I'd check anyway) there is also no mention of the on-line thing for 5 year license renewals.

Hope the above helps.

Steve

Regarding the online video & test:

My experience was turn up - just to ask how to register for an appointment - be told watch the video on my mobile there and then (along with loads of others), and do the online test (my wife did it for me!)

Someone else posted that as they don't expect ferangs to be able to do it, they were given a pass without even logging on to watch the video.

Will you be posting option three after your August appointment? We'll wait and see!

P.S. Make sure your phone battery is fully charged just in case - the video is an hour long.

2 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Regarding the online video & test:

My experience was turn up - just to ask how to register for an appointment - be told watch the video on my mobile there and then (along with loads of others), and do the online test (my wife did it for me!)

Someone else posted that as they don't expect ferangs to be able to do it, they were given a pass without even logging on to watch the video.

Will you be posting option three after your August appointment? We'll wait and see!

P.S. Make sure your phone battery is fully charged just in case - the video is an hour long.

Will do. It might be a good idea to 'forget' that I can speak reasonable Thai at that point! Roll on August!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok, so today I went into the Taling Chan office (https://goo.gl/maps/ZM62jrLBp5MdCAuSA) without any appointment. My wife went in yesterday and explained that foreigners find it hard to login due to the length of numbers on passports not matching Thai ID cards. They told her I could just turn up. So today that's what I did.

At first they tried to not to be so helpful but in the end they were very nice and helpful. I was first told to get two sets of copies (one for car and one for bike licences) of my

- passport main page

- passport last extension showing how long I'm valid here for

- work permit all pages - then the next lady gave me back most work permit pages, just keeping the main pages and most recently-stamped page.

I was given a ticket and sent through the system which after almost an hour resulted in me not getting my licences, or doing anything other than sit and wait. But they made me an appointment for 3 weeks' time. For me, this is ok because I live five minutes away and have three weeks to find a pair of glasses that might enable or help me to pass the depth perception eye test.