Video: Whale shark's plea for help goes in vain

webfact

Whale shark's plea for help goes in vain

By The Nation

800_96ace8f6d23cbb4.png?v=1592372944

A video of a giant whale shark swimming towards a diving instructor while showing its tail that was tied by a rope has gone viral on the Internet.

The event took place near Koh Pha Ngan in Surat Thani province on June 13. A three-metre-long whale shark, that was injured by a rope tightening around its tail, swam to the diving instructor seeming to suggest that it needed help.

Many people dived into the water to record videos and tried to help the animal but they were not successful as their knife was not big enough to cut the nylon rope.

Provincial Governor Wichawut Jinto collaborated with the Department of Marine and Coastal Resources, asking them to send marine animal experts to help the whale shark.

Whale sharks are one of the animals under Thailand’s wildlife conservation and have importance for marine resources.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30389775

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-06-17

• Sad 1

Video captures Thai divers' effort to free distressed whale shark

imageproxy.php?img=&key=de238a8f491e857f2020-06-16T151928Z_1_LYNXMPEG5F1GJ_RTROPTP_4_THAILAND-ENVIRONMENT-WHALE-SHARK.JPG

A diver tries to cut a rope from the tail of a whale shark near Koh Tao Island, Thailand June 13, 2020, in this still image obtained from a social media video. Sarakorn Pokaprakarn/via REUTERS

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Divers in Thailand have captured dramatic footage of their efforts to free a huge whale shark in distress from a piece of nylon rope caught on its tail.

A dive group spotted the shark off the island of Koh Tao on Saturday and tried unsuccessfully with a small knife to remove the rope, which had cut into the tail, leaving a wound. It was not known how the whale became tangled in the rope.

Video of the incident shared on the internet late on Monday showed a veteran dive instructor following the shark, which is harmless to humans, and trying in vain to sever the rope before it swam away.

Whale sharks are among the biggest fish in the sea, typically about 5.5-10 meters (18-33 feet) in length and weighing around 20 tonnes.

Diver Sarakorn Pokaprakan, who recorded the video, told Reuters the shark would likely not survive the injury and it was unfortunate they did not have a bigger knife available when they spotted it.

Efforts were being made by marine authorities and divers to locate the shark.

(Reporting by Juarawee Kittisilpa; Writing by Martin Petty; Editing by Mark Heinrich)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-06-17

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

5 minutes ago, n00dle said:

I must say a dive master without a proper knife is rather a sad thing.

Here you go eBay USD $29.50 bucks. How much was paid for that dive computer?

MULTIFUNCTION RESCUE KNIFE

Special series. Made in Russia.

Folding knife with a locking mechanism such as "liner-lock".
Steel AUS8, matte blade coating. The handle is made of stainless steel, covered with special rubber.
The knife is very comfortable and practical.

Special options:
1. Additional blade.
2. Cutter on the butt, for cutting ropes and nets.
3. Bottle opener.
4. Carabiner for safety cord.
5. Cullet on the bottom of the blade.
6. Belt clip.

Description: 

Total length - 207 mm
Blade length - 88 mm
Blade thickness - 3 mm
Steel - AUS8,

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by Captain Monday
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Captain Monday said:

Here you go eBay USD $29.50 bucks!

MULTIFUNCTION RESCUE KNIFE

Special series. Made in Russia.

Folding knife with a locking mechanism such as "liner-lock".
Steel AUS8, matte blade coating. The handle is made of stainless steel, covered with special rubber.
The knife is very comfortable and practical.

Special options:
1. Additional blade.
2. Cutter on the butt, for cutting ropes and nets.
3. Bottle opener.
4. Carabiner for safety cord.
5. Cullet on the bottom of the blade.
6. Belt clip.

Description: 

Total length - 207 mm
Blade length - 88 mm
Blade thickness - 3 mm
Steel - AUS8,

s-l1600.jpg

Indeed. pretty much every diver I know has one. If only for the bottle opener

Edited by n00dle
  • Haha 2

There are knives on Lazada, some fixed blade and some folding blade models here.

https://www.lazada.co.th/catalog/?q=diving+knife&_keyori=ss&from=input&spm=a2o4m.home.search.go.1814719cCucxjJ

I am not sure if they would be any good or even if you can get them here. I suspect that if you carried one in the UK and were stopped by the police you may have a hard time explaining it away.

12 minutes ago, billd766 said:

There are knives on Lazada, some fixed blade and some folding blade models here.

https://www.lazada.co.th/catalog/?q=diving+knife&_keyori=ss&from=input&spm=a2o4m.home.search.go.1814719cCucxjJ

I am not sure if they would be any good or even if you can get them here. I suspect that if you carried one in the UK and were stopped by the police you may have a hard time explaining it away.

Is this why these Thai divers appear to not have proper safety knifes?

In the US there are rules about carrying large blades.

However, a Chef or cook commuting to work would be perfectly entitled to 

board a subway carrying the tools of his trade. 

Similarly a diver is entitled to carry a required safety knife, whilst diving.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Captain Monday said:

Is this why these Thai divers appear to not have proper safety knifes?

In the US there are rules about carrying large blades.

However, a Chef or cook commuting to work would be perfectly entitled to 

board a subway carrying the tools of his trade. 

Similarly a diver is entitled to carry a required safety knife, whilst diving.

Presumably the diver would have to keep it secure and out of site whilst in transit to and from a dive boat.

When I used to dive, I was taught that a sharp diving knife was too dangerous to carry.  Underwater it's way too easy to cut yourself, or cut something vital on your equipment.  A blunt blade for use as a pry bar with a sharp notch to cut lines/nets was recommended. 

Having said that, I'd expect a boat to have a sharp knife on board for use out of water - it's just too useful as tool not to have available.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, n00dle said:

Say in a dive bag perhaps?

TBH I have no idea about diving, equipment used and where it is carried.

There is a possibility the if the user was stopped and searched and a dive knife was found in a dive bag the owner could be accused of having a concealed weapon. I assume that a dive knife would be exempt from that if it was being carried to a dive site.

Much like a chef may well be permitted to carry his knives as they are the tools of his trade.